The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

What does becoming a Russell Group mean for Queen Mary?

Probably going to firm QM today, got rejected from UCL and was a bit worried about QM not having the prestige I wanted but becoming a member of the Russell Group has settled my anxiety so I guess it's succeeded in its first job!
Just wondering what we thought becoming a member of the group would mean for Queen Mary?
Nice to see it on the up :smile:
Original post by JEFFERSON
Probably going to firm QM today, got rejected from UCL and was a bit worried about QM not having the prestige I wanted but becoming a member of the Russell Group has settled my anxiety so I guess it's succeeded in its first job!
Just wondering what we thought becoming a member of the group would mean for Queen Mary?
Nice to see it on the up :smile:

Do you think that really matters? QMUL is still the same university it was one year ago. It has not changed. You will get much the same teaching. Of course, you could put on your CV - BA (Hons) QMUL (Russell Group).:smile:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
It adds to the prestige right? It must mean something otherwise why would they join it?
Reply 3
The RG was essentially a lobbying group of universities with big research budgets, hence why so many of the big city unis like Birmingham, Manchester etc. were in it, big uni=big budget, whilst the likes of Durham, Exter, Bath, St Andrews etc. weren't. It existed to promote those unis in order to get even more research funding and thus membership was principally of interest to post grads. It also did, and does, a bloody good job of this, as evidenced by newspapers quoting of the RG PR person as a 'representative of Britain's top universities' or similar every time a higher education story made the news.

With the addition of the 4 new ones I don't know whether it will continue to be mainly a self promotion tool and lobby group for funding or become a sort of kite mark of a 'top' uni, the latter would probably need a few others to jump ship from the 1994 group first (Bath, St Andrews, Leicester, SOAS etc.). It does seem to be getting more and more widely accepted as the popular way of distinguishing top unis though, as shown when Michael Gove referred to the RG being involved in setting new A Levels and not just 'research intensive universities' or similar wording. Source: http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17588292
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending