The Student Room Group

WJEC CBAC GCE Computing CG1 May 2012 Revision

Hi guys,
how is the revision going for this computing exam?
There's so much to learn, how's everyone getting on?

Please discuss, share revision tips for this exam and share other useful resources to help achieve the top grade that we all want for computing!

if anyone wants to know exactly what topics to learn for the exam, click on this link: http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/12188.pdf

Please see attached for the january CG1 2012 question paper and mark scheme and finally good luck, everyone!!!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
is anyone doing this exam? :redface:
Reply 2
whats the syllabus... is it edexcel?
Reply 3
I'm so nervous about this exam, i'm doing it for the 3rd time, i dont get what i'm doing wrong :frown: any tips or help please anything what so ever
Reply 4
Original post by cole93
I'm so nervous about this exam, i'm doing it for the 3rd time, i dont get what i'm doing wrong :frown: any tips or help please anything what so ever

use the teacher software and go over lots and lots of past papers, hopefully this should work.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
What's the teacher software? :confused:
Reply 7
The head examiner setting the CG1 paper every year clearly has no idea what he is doing. Every year the questions get gradually more retarded. How is music piracy related to technical computing? I can just imagine that utter mong thinking "Lets set really vague question and provide a really specific markscheme" because clearly that is what the test is about. Furthermore, the only way to get an A is to memorize the mark scheme because that is how idiotic the Welsh board is.

A prime example of severe retardation in the mark scheme: "difficult to search client details NOT difficult to search alone". You would not get any marks if you wrote down "difficult to search" however you would get mark for saying "difficult to search client data". Why, what else to "difficult to search" possibly imply? Clearly the candidate means difficult to search the data, its not like the candidate implies "difficult to search your gigantic ********".

In addition, the examiner always finds a way to make himself seem even more retarded. His inability to spell Mozilla correctly and his grasp of linguistics is appalling. I think that it is about time for this guy to step down and gets treated for his severe autism.
Reply 8
Im sooo screwed..Literally tryna cram it all in like round about now -->>> x_x !!! It was the programming i was most worried about - thank god got tht sorted - jus need 2 learn it all properly...!!!!!
Reply 9
Here's a summary from chapter 1.1 to 1.9, includes the most important parts of the topics. Done by my teachers, same as resources from Teacher but with some better examples etc in few parts. This stuff alone can probably pull a few grades up if someone thinks they might fail, and only 23 pages so not taking long to read. Might help some people even though its 12am, someone should still be online xD or maybe wake up early in the morning, seeing that exam is 9:15
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Miyata
Here's a summary from chapter 1.1 to 1.9, includes the most important parts of the topics. Done by my teachers, same as resources from Teacher but with some better examples etc in few parts. This stuff alone can probably pull a few grades up if someone thinks they might fail, and only 23 pages so not taking long to read. Might help some people even though its 12am, someone should still be online xD or maybe wake up early in the morning, seeing that exam is 9:15

Many thanks for this!
Reply 11
Original post by ginister
Many thanks for this!

No problems, glad that it helped someone. Good luck in the exam everyone!
Will go through a booklet quickly myself to refresh memory about few things and get going.
Reply 12
Well how did you find the exam who did it?
Reply 13
Pretty easy, was expecting worse. Gotta be my best grade!
Reply 14
Original post by ginister
Pretty easy, was expecting worse. Gotta be my best grade!

Same here, I wrote 6 pages for the last question, aced it!
Reply 15
Original post by 0day
Same here, I wrote 6 pages for the last question, aced it!

huh? If you rumbled on and had said incorrect stuff you won't get marks you know for contradicting yourself. Not sure about your hand writing but 6 pages, well let's hope it will be fine lol. Unless you meant 6 sides which makes it 3 pages, and is okay I guess. I had 3 sides, and still it was too much, but I had nothing to do so I just wrote more info about 3 mark part (because 4 marks for 4 changeovers and explanation + 4 adv and disdv = 8 mark) as I read too much about it before lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
How did people do on this exam? Everyone in my school failed it despite being told we had A's in the coursework, the exam board returned them with the highest grade being a D and the majority on E or U.
Reply 17
I found it so easy, thought i dropped 3 or 4 marks but dropped 30:frown:, Coursework grade was a B and my teacher said i had a strong A. Overall a C, gutted
Reply 18
Original post by tonyballs
How did people do on this exam? Everyone in my school failed it despite being told we had A's in the coursework, the exam board returned them with the highest grade being a D and the majority on E or U.

Predicted A student here. Came out with a D overall somehow. A in the coursework but a U in the exam even though I practically answered everything. Seems to be a recurring pattern in my class at my school. Any more cases of this?
I just scraped an A, they dropped my marks loads but I got pretty lucky. So many of my classmates failed though, even though we all thought it was easy! >_<

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending