The Student Room Group

Snooker

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Ronnie is looking great. Also brilliant to see Hendry hitting some form, I would love to see him get to the semis.
So now the championship, once again, totally depends on o'sullivans mental health.

I don't know why they bother with the snooker. They may as well just send a psychiatrist round to his house on final day and if he's fine he gets the trophy.
Reply 62
Any tips on sighting the angle to pot fairly consistently? I don't really have a consistent technique so longer pots are "pot-luck", sometimes too much to one side, sometimes the other side and sometimes bang on.
I'm watching Stevens vs Hawkins at the moment. Stevens played a break over 122 in the 11th frame. Can Stevens equalized to 6-6?
I really hope Ronnie will win and my highest break is 18.I'm a semi-casual viewer and my brother is a big fan.
Reply 65
Anyone think Jones has a chance of winning the championship?

He's 40-1 now. Before the championship, he must of been of had great odds as he was a qualifier.

He is 8-5 up against Higginson, if he beats him, his odds will proberly shorten to around 20-1 or better. He will play Trump or Carter in the Quarters, so still a long way to go to win the championship.

As he had huge odds before the championship, and you lay him off when he gets to the quarter, or unlikely to the semis if he plays Trump, you still get a decent profit.
Ronnie is amazing! He played a break over 128 and his pots are really great. He is be up with 10-3.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dalek1099
I really hope Ronnie will win and my highest break is 18.I'm a semi-casual viewer and my brother is a big fan.

He's the bookies favorite now. He must be their worst nightmare. Usually you have at least a rough idea of what a player will do. With ronnie its anything from:

conceding mid mach, towel on head, "snookers boring id rather be at home", "i dont really care if i win", "im not making this 147 unless you give me some money", "hey chinese girl over there, wanna suck my cock?", "im not turning up to all these tournaments so you know what you can do", "hey, you remember that guy who pissed you all off even more than me? lets hold a tournament in his honor"

to a standard of play nobody can touch, to a point that even those who dont like him cant deny it.
Jamie Jones!!!:yep:

O'Sullivan is playing ok. I don't consider him favourite yet. Same can be said of Hendry. I can understand the "OMG __ is back!!" thoughts, but to be honest, neither of them are producing amazing snooker yet. Hendry has had a somewhat fortunate run of opponents (he is still to be tested). O'Sullivan isn't his brilliant best yet, he's only hit 3 centuries so far iirc. I'm pleased that he seems to be mentally on form, though by past experience, that can disappear in the blink of an eye.

If I had to pick a winner now, it would be a toss up between Maguire and Robertson. I would love to be proven wrong though.
Original post by Llewellyn
Jamie Jones!!!:yep:

O'Sullivan is playing ok. I don't consider him favourite yet. Same can be said of Hendry. I can understand the "OMG __ is back!!" thoughts, but to be honest, neither of them are producing amazing snooker yet. Hendry has had a somewhat fortunate run of opponents (he is still to be tested). O'Sullivan isn't his brilliant best yet, he's only hit 3 centuries so far iirc. I'm pleased that he seems to be mentally on form, though by past experience, that can disappear in the blink of an eye.

If I had to pick a winner now, it would be a toss up between Maguire and Robertson. I would love to be proven wrong though.

I'd say reeling off 6 frames in a row against an on form williams is as good as he needs to be. You have to admire williams for fighting back. You could just tell ronnie was in the zone today. The back end of the 128 reminded me of the 147 debacle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/17889031
Original post by green.tea
I'd say reeling off 6 frames in a row against an on form williams is as good as he needs to be. You have to admire williams for fighting back. You could just tell ronnie was in the zone today. The back end of the 128 reminded me of the 147 debacle.

Disclaimer: I missed the end of the Williams/ O'Sullivan match :colondollar: I will definitely be watching that when it's released on iPlayer.

But still, Ronnie is still his enigmatic self. Hot and cold, brilliant and absurd, we'll just have to see. I think Robertson next round will be the biggest challenge. If he can smash Robertson then I think that makes him favourite.

He reeled off 9 in a row.
Original post by Llewellyn
Disclaimer: I missed the end of the Williams/ O'Sullivan match :colondollar: I will definitely be watching that when it's released on iPlayer.

But still, Ronnie is still his enigmatic self. Hot and cold, brilliant and absurd, we'll just have to see. I think Robertson next round will be the biggest challenge. If he can smash Robertson then I think that makes him favourite.

Yeah. If past performances are anything to go by robertson will be out to ensure that he presents ronnie with a challenge. :wink:
Original post by Dalek1099
He reeled off 9 in a row.

Reeled off so many i lost count. How amazngs that.
Judd just knocked in a belter in frame 23.
Reply 75
Deciding frame coming up between Trump and Carter, will be another shocker to see Trump go out.
Brilliant. C'mon judd.

edit: ah well. That was a bloody good attempt stealing it at the end. Exiting stuff.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 77
Great match. Neither deserved to lose really, even though both made mistakes under pressure, especially Judd. Nice to see Trump keep fighting at the end; no doubt he'll win the World Championship in the future and much more too.
Pleased for Ali Carter, hadn't realised he'd been ill and considered retirement.
I think it's good for the game that Carter won. It proves that snooker is more than just potting everything, as a few of the players mentioned. Carter arguably isn't cuing quite as well, and he is not the dangerous force that Trump is, but I'm pleased he managed to win and I am impressed with his attitude and strategy.
Ronnies looking good. Careless misses are the one thing that seem to still plague him when he's playing well. He just missed an easy black. I remember in a final against robertson, robertson was playing really well and it looked like ronnie was rising to it, bouncing off the knuckles for position and stuff. He missed a formality and that was it. A shame because he was really silencing his critics having just finished mouthing off about how he looses interest because its not really challenging to him.

Loved the alex higgins impression at the end of frame 13.

Wouldn't it be funny if his temperament settled with age and he became a hendry just as people were starting to think he was on the decline.

See what I mean? Potted that red off the cushion only to miss that blue.

:mad:

Quick Reply

Latest