The Student Room Group

GEG attempts the 30 Day Shred...

Okay so firstly it feels VERY odd being in the fitness forum...not a place I've ever really been on TSR before but for me to motivate myself to do something I really need other people to be in on it. That's why when I signed up for a marathon I straight away got people to sponsor me and it was the thought of letting them down that kept me going at mile 21 when I wanted to crawl into a hole and die.

Few things to note: I am hideously unfit. Okay so yes I walk to my lectures and go to the gym every now and again but really I'm unfit. Also over Christmas I had glandular fever which meant I didn't do any exercise for a good 2 months. That accounts for some weight gain but for some reason even though I'm eating healthier than I did in first year, drinking less alcohol and exercising more, I'm a good 2 dress sizes larger. Which is just depressing. Now while I could go to the gym to try and sort this out, I've got exams on at the minute so am revising like crazy so don't really have much time in my day to do stuff...so I am going to be using Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD as 20 minutes a day seems manageable. I'm not really great at healthy eating so could really do with any advice on that.

So I'm going to be blogging my progress here, probably include before and after photos as well as maybe some at each level (sorry guys, they won't be in underwear as I'm VERY traceable IRL to my account) and yeah just generally gonna talk about progress and stuff. And it may not be of any interest to anyone apart from me, but the thought of knowing people can see this and will know if I fail to complete it may just motivate me enough to push through it and actually do it :crossedf:

/ramble

Scroll to see replies

Original post by greeneyedgirl
I'm not really great at healthy eating so could really do with any advice on that.

Hey, tbh for weight loss the diet is a really important part of this.

Just go for smaller portions and cut out the worst crap most of the time is the short answer and the longer answer is in the other subforum of fitness with a sticky or two to start with for basic info.
Original post by Motorbiker
Hey, tbh for weight loss the diet is a really important part of this.

Just go for smaller portions and cut out the worst crap most of the time is the short answer and the longer answer is in the other subforum of fitness with a sticky or two to start with for basic info.

Yeah I'm trying to snack on fruit rather than crisps, also cut out fizzy drinks and trying to limit my carbs somewhat as well as minimising my cheese which is sad :frown:
Firstly:

Starting pictures...

It was actually quite a shock seeing this because I've been so used to disguising my weight gain with my clothes. Being a fashion mod I'm very good at dressing to cover flaws. None of my friends have even noticed my weight gain...my mum did but that's because at home I wear more slobby clothes which don't cover up as well. So yeah, every day when I think to myself "oh I cba" I'll look at these photos and remember that I do not want to look like that.

Right so Day 1 of 30 Day Shred.

There were a few moments where I just wanted to stop and give in (especially on the cardio stuff...I've got a relatively strong core hiding under the fat but the lack of fitness was a killer). Also I have severe issues press up wise (can't even do the female version so I think I'm gonna substitute it for the plank as I think that should work same kinda muscles?) Used 1kg weights and regretted it at the time but probably best. I think 0.5 would have been to basic and well 1.5 is not happening any time soon!

Food wise I couldn't really start eating healthily today as had to finish off unhealthy stuff but starting tomorrow will go to sainsburys, get some bran cereal, some more bananas/apples/brocoli/fruit juice and I will make this thing happen because seriously those pictures are gross IMO and I don't like thinking that I actually look like that and I much prefer pictures of me in my normal clothes where I look fabulous...so being able to look fabulous in tight clothes would be nice too!
Day 2 - in some aspects this workout was a lot harder than yesterdays, I woke up with aching hamstrings and shoulders from yesterdays so as soon as I started the workout those pains came back with a vengeance. However I completed it and I think the cardio was a little less painful than last time. Also the substitution of the plank instead of pushups seemed to help.

Food wise went to Sainsburys and bought more fruit and veg and generally healthy stuff than I think I've bought in an entire term before. Today for breakfast I had an apple and cereal, for lunch I had beans on toast. Afternoon snack had a banana. Just about to go get a smoothie for post workout food then for dinner I'm having sweet chili chicken and brocoli and perhaps a little rice. Then pudding I'm having strawberries.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
I've tried the 30 day shred and it was tough... couldn't decide whether I loved or hated Jillian Michaels (I dunno what phoning it in entails but by god, I sure as hell didn't want to xD) so good luck! :smile: I didn't complete it - because I went back to uni and didn't have weights around anymore- so I'll be interested to see what a difference it makes.
Original post by riotgrrl
I've tried the 30 day shred and it was tough... couldn't decide whether I loved or hated Jillian Michaels (I dunno what phoning it in entails but by god, I sure as hell didn't want to xD) so good luck! :smile: I didn't complete it - because I went back to uni and didn't have weights around anymore- so I'll be interested to see what a difference it makes.

At certain points I hate her (during the punching I imagine punching her) but then she does push me through it by saying "just a little bit more"...it's why I suck at the gym because I am quite bad at pushing myself rather than just giving up!

I've seen some pics on line and hopefully that included with healthier eating should make a difference, although not being at lectures because of study leave does mean I'm doing less of my general walking about.
Day 3 - Ow. Right hamstring very much in pain. I've always had trouble with my hamstrings (in fact all of my dad's side of the family has short hamstrings and I guess I've inherited those) but serious pain. Managed the work out but had to substitute jump rope for butt kicks as that was really killing my leg. Going to keep stretching it out throughout the rest of they day and hopefully find some deep heat and put that on. Stamina wise I actually really notice an improvement. After day 1 I actually felt wobbly on my legs for a bit and now I feel fine (minus hamstring issue). Also managed to do the minute of bicycle crunches without having to pause today which is impressive for me both physically and mentally (apparently my coordination issues extend to trying to crunch and do leg stuff!)

Breakfast = wholegrain bran cereal with sultanas and semi skimmed milk.
Lunch = Tuna sandwich (brown bread) and salad (I really hate salad so I'm quite impressed that I'm eating it) plus a smoothie.
Afternoon Snack = 1 slice brown bread and marmite
Dinner = Piri piri chicken and brocoli and carrots
Desert/Late snack = Banana
Day 4 - Hamstring feels a lot loser today...no limping and only slight twinges during exercise. I took a break in middle of first round of cardio to stretch it out a bit more and that defs seems to have helped. Stamina defs up. Yes I'm a bit sweaty and gross after exercising still but nowhere near as out of breath as I was at the start. Managed to do the butt kicks actually kicking my butt as well :woo: Not noticing any difference to body but then again it is very early days.

Breakfast = 2 bananas and 2 bits of wholegrain toast
Lunch = Marmite sandwich and cereal bar
Afternoon Snack = 1 Weightwatchers yoghurt
Dinner = Chicken and gravy with brocoli and carrots
Desert/Late snack = Grapes
Day 5 - exercise wise it was actually okay, tomorrow I'm going to see if I can up the weight to 1.5kg :smile:

Food wise a bit of a bad day, I found out I hadn't got a position I wanted but ah well. Unfortunately I'm a comfort eater :frown:
Breakfast = bran flakes and sultanas
Lunch = Sausage rolls
Dinner = Spaghetti Carbonara
Desert/Snack = Grapes, banana and yoghurt
Day 6 - Exercise was good again. Used the 1.5kg for the chest flies, forward lunge with bicep curl, used the 1kg for dumbell rows, squat and press and the side lunch with shoulder raises. Did a cheeky wee tape measure of myself again and have lost half an inch from belly and half an inch from waist which is very satisfying although hope to lose a lot more before summer (do NOT want to be on a beach in state I'm in now)

Food was better today:
Breakfast = 2 bananas on toast
Lunch = Cheese and marmite sandwich
Dinner = Homemade chicken kiev with carrots and brocoli
Snacks = Apple and yoghurt
Apparently forgot to post yesterday

Day 7 - Same exercise wise as day 6 tbh.

Apple for breakfast, eggy bread for lunch, chicken wrapped in bacon with potatoes, brocoli and carrots for dinner.

Day 8 - Didn't exercise because had an exam so took day off

Skipped breakfast cos was feeling nervous, bacon sandwich for lunch, pizza for dinner. Whoopsies.
Team sports and weightlifting!!!

That is all.
Original post by Barden
Team sports and weightlifting!!!

That is all.

Confused but :woo: :five:
Keep it up and keep us posted on your progress! :biggrin:

I love the 30 day shred. I suggest you get some of her alternative DVD's as I got extremely bored of the shred after the first week. I usually did the shred on Monday,Wednesday and Friday, and either did one of her other dvd's (Banish fat,Boost metabolism), swimming or gym on Tuesday,Thursday and Saturday.

But yeah,she's fab :biggrin:

Edit: Also I recommend keeping an eye on how much bread/carbs in general you eat. It's not too bad atm, but you sound a lot like me (aka a person who could just eat toast all day everyday) :P But of course, it's something to keep an eye on when trying to lose weight. Unfortunately I've replaced my toast obsession with a poached egg obsession recently.. :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jellybean_
Keep it up and keep us posted on your progress! :biggrin:

I love the 30 day shred. I suggest you get some of her alternative DVD's as I got extremely bored of the shred after the first week. I usually did the shred on Monday,Wednesday and Friday, and either did one of her other dvd's (Banish fat,Boost metabolism), swimming or gym on Tuesday,Thursday and Saturday.

But yeah,she's fab :biggrin:

Edit: Also I recommend keeping an eye on how much bread/carbs in general you eat. It's not too bad atm, but you sound a lot like me (aka a person who could just eat toast all day everyday) :P But of course, it's something to keep an eye on when trying to lose weight. Unfortunately I've replaced my toast obsession with a poached egg obsession recently.. :rolleyes:

Yeah I have to say the repetitveness is annoying me a bit. Debating switching up to level 2 tomorrow to get a bit of a change!

Shall look into her other DVDs :yep:

I am trying to minimise the carbs, unfortunately with exams I'm pretty proud of myself just for getting rid of unhealthy snacks :tongue: Luckily exams finish in a week and then can really focus. Debating then doing two exercise sessions a day :smile:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Yeah I have to say the repetitveness is annoying me a bit. Debating switching up to level 2 tomorrow to get a bit of a change!

Shall look into her other DVDs :yep:

I am trying to minimise the carbs, unfortunately with exams I'm pretty proud of myself just for getting rid of unhealthy snacks :tongue: Luckily exams finish in a week and then can really focus. Debating then doing two exercise sessions a day :smile:

Yeah, once I got bored I switched up the levels a bit. I found Level 2 the hardest of them all, lemme know what you think :tongue:

Also, 2 sessions a day is a good idea. Or running two back to back - I used to do 2 then 3 (without the cool-down at the end of 2). But well done on cutting out the rubbish :biggrin: I say as I currently scoff some skittles. (Oh dear..)
Original post by jellybean_
Yeah, once I got bored I switched up the levels a bit. I found Level 2 the hardest of them all, lemme know what you think :tongue:

Also, 2 sessions a day is a good idea. Or running two back to back - I used to do 2 then 3 (without the cool-down at the end of 2). But well done on cutting out the rubbish :biggrin: I say as I currently scoff some skittles. (Oh dear..)

I bet I'll probably find it hard but she's good at pushing me through it!

Two back to back sounds killer...might try that (or do 4 sets of everything rather than just 3 or something like that)

Skittles are tasty :yep: It's my birthday on Wed and I'm gonna treat myself with cider!! :sogood:
Day 9 - Started level 2 today. Absolute killer (in fact ABS-olute killer sums it up pretty well). I clearly have some major coordination issues as quite a few of the moves really confused me. I'm going to watch it through again later tonight to see if I can understand the moves a bit more. However I've got to admit I'm proud of my squats, I think I've got pretty amazing squats (well I was doing the advance squats and they seemed pretty successful!) so that's good. I'm sure as it goes on it'll get easier. I'd saw hardness wise it kinda feels like day 2 again (except without the muscle pain, just with the intensity)

Food - breakfast was an apple and smoothie, lunch was the other half of yesterday's tuna pizza, dinner I'm having sweet chili chicken and rice. Snack I'm having a banana or two. Might try and take some photos tomorrow to see how much of a visible difference there is from day 1, I'm hoping there's some. I have noticed I've had to tighten my shorts which is a good sign!
Day 10 - Managed more of the moves today, still a bit of a fail at coordination though. What I'm noticing is I have a LOT better lower body than upper body strength. I've lost an inch off my belly and an inch off my waist in 10 days which I'm bloody happy with.

As you can see from the pic much less of a muffin top situation going on :woo: if this keeps up then by late July when I need to be in a bikini I will be comfortable enough to do it!

Food - Skipped breakfast as was running late for Church, lunch = bacon sarnie, Dinner = homemade chicken goujons with baked beans. Snacks = bananas.

Quick Reply

Latest