Why does my face look different when I take a photo then the Mirror? Watch

Architecture-er
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
One issue might be simply that you're taking the photo from too close to your face. Cameras have a built-in lense curve to capture more image, which can make you face look more bulbous when taken really close up. Try setting the camera on the opposite side of the room and zooming in to get the right proportions.

Otherwise it's because the mirror is a reflection, not a true recreation of your face as it appears to others, or because you are more awkward in front of a camera.
Architecture-er
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Steezy)
I expected to come on here and see the OP ripped to absolute shi for being so dumb.... But it appears she's not the only one.... Basic, GCSE level physics anyone?
Assume you're referring to how a mirror will reflect, not show your true face? Yes, but her complaint is how the camera makes her cheeks look fatter, which isn't relevant. Unless you're talking about light refraction through the camera lense, but that's A-level physics
TheGrinningSkull
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
True look?
Get 2 mirrors at right angles to each other and say hi
swaggiee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I get that too -.- I look so awkward in the mirror...
mosmof
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
vampire
DreamKitty
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Interesting! im interested in the physics side of this and diving in deeper, I have read some articles. Coming from a science background I find the camera and mirror both very interesting items.

I took a photo from my sisters mobile phone,she has a higher resolution better imaged camera and on her phone my face was quite different from the photos I took with my camera as well as her camera taking higher quality better imaged photos.

This is what i realised.

Mirror- Same face everyday, the face that I recognise.

Photos- I could be anyone really & I played around with the camera a bit and this time I worked out a way in where photos can make you appear thinner then you are (as well as larger or the same size in real life), Ive realised that the camera angle makes a big difference in how the face appears and what camera type it is.
DreamKitty
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
True look?
Get 2 mirrors at right angles to each other and say hi
I tried that already but thanks for the tip. It was fun lol, I also get a small mirror to look at the back of my head and hair to see if Im tidy as well as seeing if my clothes are fine. Long time ago I always used to look in the mirror as a child but now I realised we all need two mirrors! one for the front and one for the back.
DreamKitty
Rep:
?
diving queen I understand where you are coming from. As I said in my earlier post above what you said about camera angle, lighting is so very true. I was bored so I played around with my sisters mobile and then took photos and realised that the distance from the camera, the angle(whether your holding the camera at eye level or close up) completly changes the face shape!. Before I just took pics the same way everytime.

Now I realised there is a technique to good photos!. I look back at my all these memories I have of going to Theme Park, seaside and sort of regret that I didn't buy a better camera to capture those special moments.
DreamKitty
Rep:
?
(Original post by Architecture-er)
One issue might be simply that you're taking the photo from too close to your face. Cameras have a built-in lense curve to capture more image, which can make you face look more bulbous when taken really close up. Try setting the camera on the opposite side of the room and zooming in to get the right proportions.

Otherwise it's because the mirror is a reflection, not a true recreation of your face as it appears to others, or because you are more awkward in front of a camera.
Very true Architecture, all this time I have been taking closeups. I tried what you said already and it made alot of difference to the pic. I also tried taking pics of trees and just a general scenary pic and realised that even trees, flowers look different close up and far away.
ehc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Different lenses make a difference, as illustrated here:

Also, obviously light conditions and the position of your eye compared to the position of the camera lens.

Link to the original photographer of the pictures above
R4INBOW
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OMG! That's the same with me. I feel that I look a looot better in mirrors, and then when I see a photo of myself I feel like crying. Like, it looks like I have a massive round head with fat lips, yet in a mirror I have a smaller head with what I would deem full lips. WHY IS THAT? Is a mirror or photo more accurate? I always thought a mirror was since it's in real time.
TheGrinningSkull
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DreamKitty)
I tried that already but thanks for the tip. It was fun lol, I also get a small mirror to look at the back of my head and hair to see if Im tidy as well as seeing if my clothes are fine. Long time ago I always used to look in the mirror as a child but now I realised we all need two mirrors! one for the front and one for the back.
Haha, life hacks

2 mirrors can be useful if you need to take a look at the roof of the mouth which can come in handy
DreamKitty
Rep:
?
(Original post by ehc)
Different lenses make a difference, as illustrated here:

Also, obviously light conditions and the position of your eye compared to the position of the camera lens.

Link to the original photographer of the pictures above
Very interesting! that is exactly the illustration of what happened to me, I didn't know how to explain it in words but this is what I mean. Bascially that is why I get confused with what is the "real representation" if you have several photos like that, also a person is so used to seeing themselves in the mirror that even slight changes in the face would be hard to detect.

By the way lol out of these photos, which one is the real image of the lady?
DreamKitty
Rep:
?
(Original post by R4INBOW)
OMG! That's the same with me. I feel that I look a looot better in mirrors, and then when I see a photo of myself I feel like crying. Like, it looks like I have a massive round head with fat lips, yet in a mirror I have a smaller head with what I would deem full lips. WHY IS THAT? Is a mirror or photo more accurate? I always thought a mirror was since it's in real time.
I know what you mean. I have naturally thick dark brows but in photos it just appears like giant catapillars lol. Although my brows are thick it just seems double size in photos.
DreamKitty
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
Haha, life hacks

2 mirrors can be useful if you need to take a look at the roof of the mouth which can come in handy
I think it's actually good to have all sorts of Mirrors. Even the circular mirror the dentist's use for inspecting teeth, it would be good to use one when brushing or flossing teethI was thinking of getting a personal dental set lol.
ehc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Very interesting! that is exactly the illustration of what happened to me, I didn't know how to explain it in words but this is what I mean. Bascially that is why I get confused with what is the "real representation" if you have several photos like that, also a person is so used to seeing themselves in the mirror that even slight changes in the face would be hard to detect.

By the way lol out of these photos, which one is the real image of the lady?
All of them. They're taken using different focal lengths (I think there might be a few other changes, but yeah, the website explains it). So really, it's just the camera that makes the difference.
TheGrinningSkull
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it's actually good to have all sorts of Mirrors. Even the circular mirror the dentist's use for inspecting teeth, it would be good to use one when brushing or flossing teethI was thinking of getting a personal dental set lol.
haha, brushing or flossing without a mirror is annoying

Future dentist right there. Always starts off with the sets.
Cll_ws
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by almalibre11111)
true me too i look a lot worst in pictures...but in reality im totaly like a greek god ;p
Hephaestus?
Balachandar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have exactly the same problem and read the responses of others. Quite a few are understandable, that the mirror is an inverted reflection and that the camera takes the actual picture. And that when you look at mirror, you can see how you look, and can adjust your face, which isn't possible with a camera.

Still I'm having quite a few problems. My eyebrows appear arched and very weird in photos. They are mostly normal in front of mirror. And my right eyelid is always half closed in photos. As if I'm very sleepy. And this happens every time, I try to avoid it by raising my eyebrows so that I don't appear sleepy, but then I look still weirder. It could be that the angle is causing all the problem.

Can anyone shed some light?
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
pictures or gtfo
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (82)
16.24%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (52)
10.3%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (92)
18.22%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (74)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (53)
10.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (152)
30.1%

Watched Threads