Why does my face look different when I take a photo then the Mirror? Watch

FayroseHajer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Try face thin tool this tool is my biggest secret, makes my face slim n' sexy! Face thin tool is awesome! But just remember very important to follow instructions
Guybrush Sheepgood
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1. Your reflection is flipped
2. A camera does not have the same lens type as your eye so things will come out differently e.g. bigger noses etc. depending on the lens
3. A camera picks up light differently to your eye
4. While a camera and your eye both use light to see images, a camera isn't your eye. They are two completely different mechanisms for capturing images, and they don't have exactly the same result
5. I would assume there are various mental/emotional processes that happen when you are looking at stuff in the mirror compared to a still image
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cassius1993)
2 main reasons that I can think of:

#1 A mirror is a reflection of your image: your right eye will appear to be your left, etc. It's basically flipped across the Y axis, inverted. A photo is how you will appear to other people.

#2 A photo is a still image or single frame. Your view of yourself in the mirror is at 10000000000000 frames per second or such like

Don't worry, this phenomenon happens to everyone. You only notice the difference on yourself because it means more to you!

#2 is probably the most important, it makes your expression appear so unnaturally rigid.
That would explain why I always thought I looked better on video.
SchoolIsLit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it depends on the camera. I came across the same thing. Just wondering why I look different. If you zoom in enough, you see your mirror self, and if you didn't zoom in or kept it as it is normally, you look different. So, I did a little experiment on this. I know a friend who takes videos of herself on Snapchat and her facial shape looks exactly how she looks like in real life as well as her other features.
Louis8469
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Im a bit late but maybe people that come now will see this but I think it's the way you line everything up because your jawline can't be seen in a certain angle and it's just round
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.6%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.26%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.91%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.11%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.07%
How can I be the best version of myself? (161)
30.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed