Lovefilm.com - DON'T sign up (biggest pathetic con ever) Watch

Darklady.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So i was approached by a handsome salesman in town last summer, i have to admitt i was taken in by his charm - handed over my bank details, adress ect. He gave me a trial account and the first month was free, tbh i wasn't really bothered by it so i ammediately went online and just ''cancelled'' it. But low and behold looked at my bank details and they've been taking out 5.99 a month. So i ring them to tell them to cancel it, and yes, he could only speak half english, i had to keep saying ''what'' every minute. He kept telling me ''you can have this deal instead'' and i just said ''JUST CANCEL MY ACCOUNT, I DON'T WANT ANY OF YOUR CRAPPY DEALS!" So finally, half an hour later, he told me to return the DvD that they sent me on my trial account and i would receive a confirmation email that my account is cancelled, so i managed to return it. However, no email had arrived and i was on the phone again. They said that they have not received the dvd that i sent them (even though the adress is correct) (another indian call centre) and kept throwing more crap ''deals'' in my face when all i want is my account to be cancelled and stop paying money to them for crap that i don't even need or use. (He could not get this into his thick skull, i had to repeat this many times) So yes, they still have not cancelled my account and money is probably still being taken out. Biggest scam ever, once your signed up they'll do anything to keep you on, even if you want it cancelled, i just don't know what to do? How the hell is it legal to do this?
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
cancel your direct debit at the bank, they are stuffed then.

Oh and when it comes to those salespeople next time say this "why would i pay for something when i can download it for free" As of yet no one can argue it.
JKGB
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think there's something in the T&C's which states that anything you've borrowed from them must be returned before they will cancel your account, so if they say haven't got the DVD back, they'll keep charging you. Do you have a post office receipt or anything to prove you've sent it?
OMGWTFBBQ
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JKGB)
I think there's something in the T&C's which states that anything you've borrowed from them must be returned before they will cancel your account, so if they say haven't got the DVD back, they'll keep charging you. Do you have a post office receipt or anything to prove you've sent it?
Proof of postage is not proof of receipt unfortunately.

I have to agree with the OP. LoveFilm is one of the biggest scams going.
FXX
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Darklady.)
So yes, they still have not cancelled my account and money is probably still being taken out.
This has been going on since last summer. How can you not be sure if they're still taking money out?

But I'd agree with just cancelling the direct debit.
username951095
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used to be with them for about 4 or 5 months, mainly renting games rather than films though.

I can see what you were saying, it seems they want you to just give up on cancelling your membership due to the hassle.

My experience was only being able to cancel via a call, which as you said it sent to some asian call center. They are just doing their job but it was really hard to understand his english and it seems the moment they hear the word "cancel" they have to shout deals at you till you back into a corner and give up.

Although when I wanted to change my package to something more expensive they were quick to hop on and email me the same day to get it sorted out :rolleyes:

as for the disc you may have been unlucky and lost it in the mail, there should be an option to say "disc is missing" if they don't receive it after a certain amount of time. once they acknowledge the disc went missing in the post you can cancel.
Waterstorm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was with them, seemed all good for me tbh. Only thing was it was nearly impossible to cancel with them as whenever you phoned to do so they kept on going on about how good they were/how you can get a cheaper sub etc.
Aaron_xyz
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Even though I managed to cancel mine they still always send me loads of spam and junk mail.
jimcatinnes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Darklady.)
So i was approached by a handsome salesman in town last summer, i have to admitt i was taken in by his charm - handed over my bank details, adress ect. He gave me a trial account and the first month was free, tbh i wasn't really bothered by it so i ammediately went online and just ''cancelled'' it. But low and behold looked at my bank details and they've been taking out 5.99 a month. So i ring them to tell them to cancel it, and yes, he could only speak half english, i had to keep saying ''what'' every minute. He kept telling me ''you can have this deal instead'' and i just said ''JUST CANCEL MY ACCOUNT, I DON'T WANT ANY OF YOUR CRAPPY DEALS!" So finally, half an hour later, he told me to return the DvD that they sent me on my trial account and i would receive a confirmation email that my account is cancelled, so i managed to return it. However, no email had arrived and i was on the phone again. They said that they have not received the dvd that i sent them (even though the adress is correct) (another indian call centre) and kept throwing more crap ''deals'' in my face when all i want is my account to be cancelled and stop paying money to them for crap that i don't even need or use. (He could not get this into his thick skull, i had to repeat this many times) So yes, they still have not cancelled my account and money is probably still being taken out. Biggest scam ever, once your signed up they'll do anything to keep you on, even if you want it cancelled, i just don't know what to do? How the hell is it legal to do this?
Well if you've only just returned the DVD I don't see how it's their fault?

I've never had any problems with them.

Also a helpful hint for anyone, wait until 10pm go onto the cancel your account thing and you can do it online.
ThatPerson
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't see whats wrong here TC, there website explicitly states that they will continue to charge you the monthly fee if you are still in possession of their DVD at the time when the subscription runs out.

Yes the call centres outsourced to other countries are probably not very helpful, but I've found LoveFilm to be a decent service: it usually has all the movies and games that I want to rent and it saves me money buying all of them, considering games are £30-40 new.

If you've returned the DVD, cancelled it and they are still charging you then that is illegal, also the DVD can't be "in the post", it has to have reached them, so it you've only recently posted it I would wait as to be honest, you should have returned the DVD in the first place before your subscription ran out.
Laurah5498
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I threatened them with Trading Standards and they soon cancelled.

You have to be firm with them. I phoned them every day until they cancelled my account with them!
Perseverance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sounds like your fault to be honest.
vedderfan94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not really a scam. Return the DVD and your account will be cancelled. The terms and conditions explicitly state getting the DVD to them is your responsibility. Proof of postage from all post offices is free.
Ohlavelle
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What?
You can't expect them to stop charging you when you're still in possession of their discs, that's ridiculous.

I was on exactly the same deal and I cancelled my account online, it wasn't hard to do, as soon as they marked the last disc I sent back as received I went to my account and cancelled it there and then. I thought they were actually very good.
ily_em
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well it's obvious you have to return the DVD to them before you try to cancel

I signed up for them and found it easy enough to cancel, did it online too.
internetguru
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by silverbolt)

Oh and when it comes to those salespeople next time say this "why would i pay for something when i can download it for free" As of yet no one can argue it.
I make it my missions to harass the love film people whenever I see them. Their whole world just falls apart when I tell them it is all free.
plimsolls
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not sure where the Distance Selling Regulations stand on returned goods. I have a feeling you (buyer) only have to prove you sent it, not that they (seller) received it.

They are taking the pee anyway.
Genocidal
Badges: 16
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by silverbolt)

This all the way.
hockeyjoe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Waterstorm)
I was with them, seemed all good for me tbh. Only thing was it was nearly impossible to cancel with them as whenever you phoned to do so they kept on going on about how good they were/how you can get a cheaper sub etc.
yes that is what the OP is getting at
gemnomnom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go on WatchDog
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (263)
31.92%
The paper was reasonable (405)
49.15%
Not feeling great about that exam... (92)
11.17%
It was TERRIBLE (64)
7.77%

Watched Threads