The Student Room Group

EdExcel -- A2 -- Drama & Theatre Studies

Please post your resources/notes/diagrams/links/tips here.

This is a sharing thread.

Do not post begging for help without having posted something useful first.

Cheers
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump? :frown:
Reply 2
Hi Gemnomnom,

I'm doing mine, can't wait for the 31st May to be honest!

Have you done your directorial yet?
xox
Reply 3
I'm doing it too, dreading the exam.

What plays are you studying?
Reply 4
Ooh, I am!! Haven't even started preparing my 1000 word notes for section C. :'(

What are you guys studying? Anyone doing Lysistrata??
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Elzie
Ooh, I am!! Haven't even started preparing my 1000 word notes for section B. :'(

What are you guys studying? Anyone doing Lysistrata??

:biggrin: YAY! I'm doing Lysistrata for Section A & B and Way of the World for Section C (but I guess EVERYONE's section C's will be totally different!)

I'm terrified - we were literally not taught our course because of like 6 teacher changes within a year including maternity covers and such so I'm TERRIFIED of 31st May but I'm still trying to push for my A.

How are you finding it? Have you prepared your annotated script / Sect C notes?
Reply 6
Original post by xoJessicaAnn
:biggrin: YAY! I'm doing Lysistrata for Section A & B and Way of the World for Section C (but I guess EVERYONE's section C's will be totally different!)

I'm terrified - we were literally not taught our course because of like 6 teacher changes within a year including maternity covers and such so I'm TERRIFIED of 31st May but I'm still trying to push for my A.

How are you finding it? Have you prepared your annotated script / Sect C notes?

There isn't really much to learn, really. You just have to be able to think on your toes! I'm doing Othello for my section C. We went to watch the performance with Dominic West and Clarke Peters which was ace! :biggrin:

Haven't even started my Section C notes.. :| Shakespeare is so hard!! I've bought myself a few revision guides for Othello though so I can read about the themes and historical significance. Stuff that my teacher should be doing, but no such luck. :L

I've written some notes in my script about my concept, rehearsal techniques, stagecraft and things like that. I just hope the extract is good, really. If it's the wool metaphor, I think I'll cry. :'(

How about you? What's your concept like?
Original post by Elzie
There isn't really much to learn, really. You just have to be able to think on your toes! I'm doing Othello for my section C. We went to watch the performance with Dominic West and Clarke Peters which was ace! :biggrin:

Haven't even started my Section C notes.. :| Shakespeare is so hard!! I've bought myself a few revision guides for Othello though so I can read about the themes and historical significance. Stuff that my teacher should be doing, but no such luck. :L

I've written some notes in my script about my concept, rehearsal techniques, stagecraft and things like that. I just hope the extract is good, really. If it's the wool metaphor, I think I'll cry. :'(

How about you? What's your concept like?

The wool metaphor? I'm sorry, uh, what? Not a good sign is it hahaha.
My concept is setting it in 1920's America, Gangsters, Prohibition & such.
Reply 8
Original post by xoJessicaAnn
The wool metaphor? I'm sorry, uh, what? Not a good sign is it hahaha.
My concept is setting it in 1920's America, Gangsters, Prohibition & such.

The wool metaphor is where she's talking to the magistrate and talks about Athenians uniting together through a metaphor about wool.. It makes little sense to me.

Nice concept! Someone in my class is doing that too with bankers and such! My concept is about gang crime in London so I could talk about educational theatre and pretty much do less work. :P
Reply 9
Original post by banoona
Hi Gemnomnom,

I'm doing mine, can't wait for the 31st May to be honest!

Have you done your directorial yet?
xox

Is this planning and writing up your director's take on the play?

I'm doing Lysistrata! According to the examiners reports, it's by far the most popular choice!

We went to see A Midsummer Night's Dream by Filter Theatre Company in the Hammersmith Lyric. Twas so good to be in West London yet again.
I'm doing Woyzeck for section A and Merchant Of Venice for section B.

Bit unsure about how to structure my answers for section A. Especially, the first 4 mark question. I don't really know what to say because it doesn't specifically ask for a rehearsal technique like the next one does. Any advice on this would be awesome :smile: xo
I'm doing Woyzeck for Section A and B with my concept being in a playground with everything bigger than Woyzeck.
Is it just me who's finding this section of the exam very dull?

Our Section C is also the Dominic West/Clarke Peters 'Othello' which was very good :biggrin:

I'm absolutely dreading the exam. I'm struggling to fit everything into the 2hr 30mins we have!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Caitykinss
I'm doing Woyzeck for Section A and B with my concept being in a playground with everything bigger than Woyzeck.
Is it just me who's finding this section of the exam very dull?

Our Section C is also the Dominic West/Clarke Peters 'Othello' which was very good :biggrin:

I'm absolutely dreading the exam. I'm struggling to fit everything into the 2hr 30mins we have!

I know! I'm doing different texts, Lysistrata and The Way of the World (I'm lucky because I personally have come to love both texts) and it's so hard with timing!
Original post by CourtJonesx

Bit unsure about how to structure my answers for section A. Especially, the first 4 mark question. I don't really know what to say because it doesn't specifically ask for a rehearsal technique like the next one does. Any advice on this would be awesome :smile: xo

I've been told 2 rehearsal techniques, well explained and justified for this part of Sect A but I may be wrong :confused: my drama department are stoooopid.
Reply 14
Original post by Elzie
The wool metaphor is where she's talking to the magistrate and talks about Athenians uniting together through a metaphor about wool.. It makes little sense to me.

Nice concept! Someone in my class is doing that too with bankers and such! My concept is about gang crime in London so I could talk about educational theatre and pretty much do less work. :P

Hey :smile:

im doing Lysistrata too and my concept for section B is gang culture in London also! Great minds think alike :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by Sophia_x
Hey :smile:

im doing Lysistrata too and my concept for section B is gang culture in London also! Great minds think alike :wink:

No wayy!!! :biggrin: That's so cool!
Reply 16
Hey, i am doing Woyzeck for section A and B... also doing duchess of malfi for section c...
exam in 3 weeks and i haven't even written up my notes :frown:
help anyone, where do i begin?
x
Reply 17
Yayyyy for people doing Lysistrata for Section A and B and saw Filter's Midsummers Night Dream at the Lyric!

Sounds strange but i'm dreading section a, it's those little questions and marks that change everything!
And the timing! :|:|:|!!!
xx
Reply 18
Original post by CourtJonesx

Hey! Im doing Woyzeck too, and i definitely think section A is the hardest, but my teachers have told me the first four mark question is always asking for 2 rehearsal techniques even when it isn't that obvious! I think its always best to write about 2 lines describing what the characters in that extract are like in your concept, eg. something along the lines of "In my concept, I would like Woyzeck to appear insane and for Andres to be portrayed as a concerned friend." Then describe 2 rehearshal techniques that relate to how you want the audience to see the characters in the extract. Hope this helps!! :smile: xx
Original post by hbryony
Yayyyy for people doing Lysistrata for Section A and B and saw Filter's Midsummers Night Dream at the Lyric!

Sounds strange but i'm dreading section a, it's those little questions and marks that change everything!
And the timing! :|:|:|!!!
xx

I'm also dreading A! :frown: know what you mean about the marks! I can write essays on my own ideas, just don't give me four lines to write two concise points ahahhaa.

Quick Reply

Latest