The Student Room Group

Are these good university choices?

I am in Year 12 currenlty studying AS Levels in Maths, Chemistry, Biology, RS. I have 9A*'s, 3A's in my GCSE's. I am on track to get A's in my A2 next year.

I really want to go to Birmingham to do medicine but understand it is very hot on GCSE's , The choices I am currently considering are :-

Birmingham
Manchester
Nottingham
Leicester

Do you think these are wise choices , I appreciate I have not yet taken my UKCat and this can play a big part in selection.

Thanks
Reply 1
With those grades you can apply pretty much anywhere. But as you said UKCAT will play a big part and so will how strong you consider your PS to be.
Manchester love long term voluntary work so if you haven't got any I wouldn't apply. Birmingham is a good choice with those GCSEs you should be fine applying there.

Again put everything into the UKCAT because it basically buys you an interview at Newcastle/ Sheffield. If you play to your strengths which are your GCSEs you should be off to medical school in 2013. :smile:
Reply 3
Am I correct in thinking Birmingham place a large emphasis on gcse's then look at AS , PS and work experience , EC
Reply 4
with those grades you'll have a great chance at Birm. Just make sure your PS is top notch since they don't use the UKCAT.

Edit: lol which idiot negged this?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by wanabee medic
I am in Year 12 currenlty studying AS Levels in Maths, Chemistry, Biology, RS. I have 9A*'s, 3A's in my GCSE's. I am on track to get A's in my A2 next year.

I really want to go to Birmingham to do medicine but understand it is very hot on GCSE's , The choices I am currently considering are :-

Birmingham
Manchester
Nottingham
Leicester

Do you think these are wise choices , I appreciate I have not yet taken my UKCat and this can play a big part in selection.

Thanks

As a heads up, if you don't get 4 As at AS don't apply to Birmingham. When I asked for feedback from them after I got rejected they said that they have decided not to consider anyone with <aaaa
Reply 6
As a heads up, if you don't get 4 As at AS don't apply to Birmingham. When I asked for feedback from them after I got rejected they said that they have decided not to consider anyone with <aaaa

What did you get in your AS levels if you don't mind me asking and what were you predicted in your A2's. I thought Birmingham used A2 predictions and GCSE's rather than AS Levels:
Reply 7
They seem like good choices, and your GCSEs are amazing. But like everyone else has mentioned it all depends on your AS result, PS and the UKCAT.
But maybe you could apply to one or even two non-UKCAT unis? Just as a safety net.
Reply 8
Original post by wanabee medic

What did you get in your AS levels if you don't mind me asking and what were you predicted in your A2's. I thought Birmingham used A2 predictions and GCSE's rather than AS Levels:

I got aaab (the b being in french) and I'm predicted A*A*A* at A2.

I thought that aswell but after I applied the feedback was that they won't consider anyone with a b at AS :s
Reply 9
Original post by cosmobear92
They seem like good choices, and your GCSEs are amazing. But like everyone else has mentioned it all depends on your AS result, PS and the UKCAT.
But maybe you could apply to one or even two non-UKCAT unis? Just as a safety net.

lol
Reply 10
**** yeh Birmingham!
Original post by tpxvs
lol

What?
Reply 12
Original post by cosmobear92
What?

The lol was probably due to your comment about having a non UKCAT university as a "safety net". It can be argued that these are even more competitive so not exactly a safe choice to fall back on :redface:
Original post by myyrh
The lol was probably due to your comment about having a non UKCAT university as a "safety net". It can be argued that these are even more competitive so not exactly a safe choice to fall back on :redface:

I didn't mean they were 'easier' to get in to, what I meant was that if OP messed up their UKCAT, they could apply to a non-UKCAT uni seeing as all the unis listed require the UKCAT.
Reply 14
hopeful international medic here! I sat for the IGCSEs instead with 7A*s and 2As, would that be good enough for the unis listed on the first post?
You're making a huge mistake, you haven't applied to BL.
Reply 16
Original post by tngwy
hopeful international medic here! I sat for the IGCSEs instead with 7A*s and 2As, would that be good enough for the unis listed on the first post?

I wouldn't recommend applying to Birmingham with anything less than 8A*s at GCSE. The rest of the universities will place more emphasis on A2 predictions.
Reply 17
Umm maybe get rid of Birmingham Manchester, Nottingham, Leicester and just apply to kings?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending