What did you get in GCSE History and AS/A level History? Watch

GrantG
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I want to study A level History - but my GCSE grade is poor (I have two 'Ds' from Nazi paper and Impact of War). If I take it at A level would I be bound to fail?
Like a BAWS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Had A* GCSE.

In AS I had full marks on the British side and low A on the European, have my A2 exam in June which I'm very anxious about !

Fortunately, I have had a brilliant teacher for the last few years. Although your GCSE grades aren't great, I personally believe success in AS/A2 is all about nailing the exam technique and having a thorough knowledge of the subject. So as long as you're prepared to work hard, and most importantly work smart. You'll have a lot of information and its impossible to learn all of it, you just have to pinpoint the key information and be abloe to explain why its important

All the best !
la-dauphine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A level is definitely a step up and if you consistently got Ds at GCSE I'm not sure that you'd be able to cope at A level. Have you spoken to your teachers about it? One of the hardest parts of A level history is coping with the workload and also some of the more advanced concepts. Don't rule it out completely yet though.

(I got A* at GCSE, A at AS, 77/80 coursework and predicted A* at A2)
username941859
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A* in GCSE
(full marks coursework, full marks British depth study 89/90 Germany and Interwar years)

7/6 Predicted HL History
chickenonsteroids
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got a B in GCSE History ( I had an op during the time of my coursework)

6/7 in HL history (IB)
confusedexcited
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A* GCSE History, full marks AS history.

To be honest, it's very different from GCSE, I'd look at the syllabus and make your decision based on that.
Captain Hindsight
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I only just got an A for GCSE History, but for AS history I got quite a high A. It is definitely achievable to get a better mark at A Level as usually you pick subjects you are really into.
Prestoria
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A in GCSE History, predicted grade A at AS level.

With regards to your situation, it can be tricky. Some people have low grades at GCSE, but excel at A-level for whatever reason - generally because teachers tend to be better at college. If you are really passionate about the subject, then go for it. In my opinion, I thought the essays/exam papers were very similar in style and structure from GCSE and A-level (I did Edexcel at GCSE and am currently doing AQA) though the workload is heavier.

It would be a good idea to see what is causing the low grades. For example, if it's to do with writing, ask your teacher for help.
CUFCDan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A at GCSE and full marks A* at A Level, currently doing history and politics at Uni

I found the step up was massive, but I've always been naturally good at it, though I had to work quite hard for A2.

As far as I'm aware, history is down as the hardest written paper, so don't take it on lightly, especially if you have struggled at GCSE. At GCSE I found it was about learning a load of historical facts; it's very different at A Level.
letsdothetimewarpagain
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A in GCSE and 1 mark off an A* for A level.

I found the step up hit me hard for AS but once I got past the initial shock and worked out what you needed to do it wasn't too bad. You'd need to work hard but it may be possible to do well in it. I'd be surprised if your center lets you do it though unless you pull your grade up.
InkyOne
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got an A*GCSE 90%, A low A at AS, 90% and 75%, and am predicted an A at A2, but i'm essentially self-teaching A2 (and did that 75% - the teacher really dislikes me) so that predicted A is probably a bit unlikely...
Mighty Moe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Didn't do history at GCSE. Got an A in it at AS and an A in it for my overall A-level. If you're struggling with it at GCSE though I expect you'll find it very tough at A-level.
Sean9001
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A at GCSE
A (97%) AS
A* (99%) A2
Lambo_93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A at GCSE to a D at AS

I just found it a very big step up

But you may be different, don't let me put you off
Summer2012
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
B at GCSE, A at AS level. Had to work a lot harder at A level, but it's worth it!
livingforthefuture
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got an A in GCSE and an A in AS, i'm not doing a2 in history though. It does take a lot of work because here is a lot of information you have to retain. But if you focus your revision on linking key events to their outcomes it makes it a lot easier to remember. Good luck.
Aquinas
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got an A* at GCSE but ended up with 1 mark off the A threshold for A-Level because I was generally a very lazy History student who didn't bother to provide his teacher with drafts for essays or listen to feedback (oops).

I don't think History at A-Level was too difficult, there's a bit more of an analytical element to it though, which is where I certainly excelled, on source examination etc. In general I think the A-Level step-up is a bit of an exaggeration and in fact it should be a bit more difficult for students. I got A*AB (two marks of A*A*A) with barely coming out of second gear.

If you got a D at GCSE and you put a decent amount of work and effort in, though, I expect you'd struggle to get a good mark in A-Level History. Maybe consider doing something else, or ask your teacher if you'd be suitable and what the academic requirements are.
Shomberlon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I came out with a D at GCSE (mainly thanks to bottling the exam) but that was 15 years ago, now I'm in my last week of as Access to Higher Education course with distinction across the board in every subject and I am starting my degree in September at a really good uni. What I'm trying to say is if you decide not to go for it you can always go back at a later date.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
yayifications
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A* at GCSE, full marks in both exams then got a B in my coursework... not entirely sure how I managed that, but oh well. Predicted A's at AS, not carrying it forward into A2 because I dislike my teacher and basically taught myself the whole course for AS and I cannot risk getting the same teacher for next year! Good luck in whatever you choose to do, history is hard but if you find it interesting you'll definitely do better.

ReeceJ
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was only predicted a C but got nearly full marks (A*) on the American west paper!

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (17)
7.14%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.5%
I don't think they'd understand (40)
16.81%
It might lead to more bullying (84)
35.29%
There's nothing they could do (72)
30.25%

Watched Threads