The Student Room Group

*** Dentistry 2013 Applications ***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Pert
They start interviews then, I didn't hear whether I had one or not well into february

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I think that will be a bit different this year. They're changing to MMI format so the vast majority of the interviews will be in December as they run them in a 1 week block.

Although, they'll still have to wait ages for their offers/rejections i guess, that seems to be the general rule with dental schools. Apply early and wait forever while your mates get replies, a week after sending their UCAS forms off 0.o.
Original post by Kartace
I think that will be a bit different this year. They're changing to MMI format so the vast majority of the interviews will be in December as they run them in a 1 week block.

Although, they'll still have to wait ages for their offers/rejections i guess, that seems to be the general rule with dental schools. Apply early and wait forever while your mates get replies, a week after sending their UCAS forms off 0.o.

Did Leeds give you feedback?
Reply 82
Me? No, or at least not anything very useful just the uniform lots of competition, blah blah blah

Reply 83
Original post by Ayshizzle
Hi all, I'm a dental student at Newcastle. If any of you need help with your applications, or want info on the course/uni/Newcastle in general please feel free to PM me.

Good luck! :smile:

Hey just wondering if you don't attend the open day for a university will this affect whether they give you an offer or won't they look at who came for the open day.
Because lots of universities open days overlap, don't no wat to do:confused:
Original post by mahum
Hey just wondering if you don't attend the open day for a university will this affect whether they give you an offer or won't they look at who came for the open day.

I highly doubt whether or not you went to an open day influences their decision.
Reply 85
someone just asked me whether you can resit the UKCAT for the same year ?
I said no,But i just want to confirm this
Original post by mahum

Not for Cardiff first time I went there was for interview and they gave me an offer
Original post by mahum
Hi I'm thinking of applying to do dentsitry in 2013 but I really don't want to go to a traditional dental school which is heavily lectures and essay based
Can you please tell me which dental schools are better for modern teaching e.g. lots of practicals and group work :smile:

I'm not sure, you'll have to read some prospectuses I'm afraid. The PBL- based courses will probably be more suitable for you.

Original post by mahum

No they don't mind :smile: I didn't go to any open days!
Reply 88
Original post by aqua05
someone just asked me whether you can resit the UKCAT for the same year ?
I said no,But i just want to confirm this

No :/

Reply 89
Original post by Patchey1000
Not for Cardiff first time I went there was for interview and they gave me an offer

okay thankyou :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by Ayshizzle
I'm not sure, you'll have to read some prospectuses I'm afraid. The PBL- based courses will probably be more suitable for you.

No they don't mind :smile: I didn't go to any open days!

okay thankyou :smile:
Reply 91
Original post by rickydentistry
I highly doubt whether or not you went to an open day influences their decision.

true
Reply 92
i was just wondering.. is it 5 unis that you can apply for dentistry? because I only want to do dentistry so would i put 5 unis down? i have heard that you can only put 4 unis down, and the other choice has to be non-dentistry :|
Reply 93
Original post by mk123
i was just wondering.. is it 5 unis that you can apply for dentistry? because I only want to do dentistry so would i put 5 unis down? i have heard that you can only put 4 unis down, and the other choice has to be non-dentistry :|

Thats correct, you're only allowed 4 dental choices. It's designed so that, if you get 4 rejections for dentistry/medicine/veterinary that you have another choice that you can fall back on. Most people choose something like biomedical sciences usually. It's generally something related to human or medical sciences, I chose pharmacy. It can be anything though, english lit or fine art if you really want...i'm not sure how successful that choice would be though.

Make sure that you choose your 5th choice university wisely aswell, alot of the more prestigious universities (UCL, Imperial, Oxford and cambridge) to name a small few. Probably wont consider you with a dental personal statement. The competition for their courses is so high that they will give their places to people who's first choice is the subject they're applying for.

One more thing, the 5th choice in theory could be something like dental hygiene and therapy or another dentally related degree. If you really want to be involved in the world of dentistry this is an option. However, most people choose biomed and then go for the graduate entry route into dentistry. :smile:

Best of luck anyways :smile: hopefully you shouldn't have to use that 5th choice!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 94
Hello all, I am also applying to dentistry for 2013 entry.
Reply 95
hello there, i am looking forward to apply for dentistry course, please would you advise me regarding university/entry requirements, i have B to C in biology chemistry, math, and english, also i have BTEC National Dip, in Science bilogy chemistry, and physics, and i have 2 and half years of general adult nursing qualification and experience. currently i am working as a dental nurse, just had my dental exam, awaiting for my results.
i am not sure whether i am qualified to apply for dentistry? :frown:

thank you
Reply 96
Original post by Kartace
Thats correct, you're only allowed 4 dental choices. It's designed so that, if you get 4 rejections for dentistry/medicine/veterinary that you have another choice that you can fall back on. Most people choose something like biomedical sciences usually. It's generally something related to human or medical sciences, I chose pharmacy. It can be anything though, english lit or fine art if you really want...i'm not sure how successful that choice would be though.

Make sure that you choose your 5th choice university wisely aswell, alot of the more prestigious universities (UCL, Imperial, Oxford and cambridge) to name a small few. Probably wont consider you with a dental personal statement. The competition for their courses is so high that they will give their places to people who's first choice is the subject they're applying for.

One more thing, the 5th choice in theory could be something like dental hygiene and therapy or another dentally related degree. If you really want to be involved in the world of dentistry this is an option. However, most people choose biomed and then go for the graduate entry route into dentistry. :smile:

Best of luck anyways :smile: hopefully you shouldn't have to use that 5th choice!!

Thanks so much for the info and advice, and yeah hopefully I won't have to use the 5th choice! But if i had to does that mean i would have to make my personal statement more general for the 5th choice to be on the safe side? For example If i were to put pharmacy as the 5th choice would i have to alter my personal statement so that its not entirely specific to dentistry? Just out of interest are you doing dentistry now? Sorry for bombarding with you qs!
Reply 97
Original post by mk123
Thanks so much for the info and advice, and yeah hopefully I won't have to use the 5th choice! But if i had to does that mean i would have to make my personal statement more general for the 5th choice to be on the safe side? For example If i were to put pharmacy as the 5th choice would i have to alter my personal statement so that its not entirely specific to dentistry? Just out of interest are you doing dentistry now? Sorry for bombarding with you qs!

I wouldn't make your statement more general. Because then you run the risk of not making it the best it could be for dentistry, and you don't want to do that. So concentrate it on Dentistry. If you even mention dentistry in your statement. The Biomed programmes will know that they are your 5th choice, so there isn't any point in trying to make up for it by putting in a token mention like "i also enjoy pharmacy etc" or anything like that. If they give you an offer, it'll be because your academics and achievements are very impressive, so it'll be on merit rather than your statement.

However, having said that, for pharmacy. They asked me to send off a new personal statement, written for pharmacy. So that they could assess my application fairly against everyone elses. Then after that they invited me to interview. So in that particular situation, it was like a seperate admissions process. And yes, i am going to be studying dentistry. I'm off to Barts in september. :smile: Look forward to hopefully seeing you around in a couple of years!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 98
Original post by omie
hello there, i am looking forward to apply for dentistry course, please would you advise me regarding university/entry requirements, i have B to C in biology chemistry, math, and english, also i have BTEC National Dip, in Science bilogy chemistry, and physics, and i have 2 and half years of general adult nursing qualification and experience. currently i am working as a dental nurse, just had my dental exam, awaiting for my results.
i am not sure whether i am qualified to apply for dentistry? :frown:

thank you

Hey there, i would suggest you have a look at this page. To see if you qualify for either the Graduate or Undergraduate entry programmes with your qualifications.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_Entry_Requirements

I have a sneaking feeling, that unfortunately you might not. I don't think any dental schools accept BTECs unfortunatley. And if you don't have a 2:1/2:2 in a science degree you won't be able to do the Graduate entry programme. You'll need AAA at A level including Chemistry and Biology for most universities, to be eligible for the Undergraduate (5 year programme). There are also GCSE requirements too, the biggest one is that you need at least a double award science GCSE usually at A for most unis and there are other requirements too although Leeds have quite low GCSE requirements. Another thing is that, if you resit your A levels, it'll be outside of the 2 year period. So that will severely reduce the number of universities which would consider your application. To around 4/5 i think.

Having said that, where there is a will there is a way. And if you're committed enough i'm sure you will get there. I hope it works out for you, and if you think i can help. Just send me a message, or anyone on here, most people are very friendly and helpfull and alot of us have been through the process ourselves :smile: Good luck! I hope it works out for you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 99
Kartace ever helpful, also 100th post in this thread!

Quick Reply