This discussion is closed.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hey all,
I presume I'm not the only person who is refusing to wait for Apple to choose to release the mini Ipod in the UK before buying, and paying a hefty premium over US customers when it is released.

So after much searching, I've found the following site. http://www.bhphotovideo.com. They are a US online shop that DOES ship to the UK unlike many similar US sites. You can buy a mini Ipod, and pay for 3-5 business day shipping for £152.

Sure as hell beats the price they are going for on Ebay.

Hope this helps someone.

Ed
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Be careful when importing from the USA as the carrier will put on a hefty charge for import tax.
Sahir
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Have you not seen the articles about how disappointing the in-built battery life is on iPods?

Someone i know got a £400 iPod with his name engraved on the back at Christmas.. and apparently the battery lasts a year and then dies. heh.
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sahir)
Have you not seen the articles about how disappointing the in-built battery life is on iPods?

Someone i know got a £400 iPod with his name engraved on the back at Christmas.. and apparently the battery lasts a year and then dies. heh.
Yes I have seen those articles. I have also seen Apple's response and I am happy with all they are doing. And anyway, it has always been possible for anyone with any technical ability to replace the battery for themselves.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
For portable use I stick to good old fashioned CD. For listening to music at home its the good old vinyl. Digital formats never sound as good pound per sound.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Sahir)
I've heard that too that they have a crap battery life, but surely rechargable batteries should keep on going!
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gimp)
Be careful when importing from the USA as the carrier will put on a hefty charge for import tax.
With my experience, perhaps 1 in 10 of items coming through customs are checked. If you are in that 1 in 10 you will pay 17.5% on a £130 Ipod, totalling about £20.

Total price = £170ish. And Apple will probably release the mini Ipod for £200 in this country in April/May.

Ed
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kuz)
I've heard that too that they have a crap battery life, but surely rechargable batteries should keep on going!
An 8 hour battery life is sufficient for me... I know that much.
Sahir
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
For portable use I stick to good old fashioned CD. For listening to music at home its the good old vinyl. Digital formats never sound as good pound per sound.
I disagree.. I can't put up with the crackle and hiss that comes with the LP experience. Okay for the classic LPs you might argue that it adds to the experience but for me it's too much hassle to be playing with massive LPs and replacing the stylus every few months when someones broken it.
Tednol
Rep:
?
That is a personal opinion and one you are of course welcome to. But I'm sure you can see the attraction of so many hours of music on such a small device.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Same as me at the moment, but you can't say you would turn down an Ipod as they are wonderful inventions, I think all true music lovers should own one or should long to own one.
Sahir
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
An 8 hour battery life is sufficient for me... I know that much.
I think what what KuZ meant is that the in-built rechargeable battery wears over time.. if you have the battery completing one charge cycle every few days, over time the maximum capacity is reduced massively.

And about being able to change the battery yourself.. it's not easy.. not sure about the mini iPods but the original ones everyone was buying at Christmas time have a battery manufactured by Apple for that product.. meaning exact dimensions, capacity, voltage etc etc.

To be honest I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.. i use minidiscs and a phono lead to link my computer to my hifi.. costing a total of £80 for the player and about a tenner for 10 discs.. which i then record over now and again.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You onyl get crackle and hiss from poor LPs that are old and poor turntbales. I have bought loads of albums for £1 and they play perfectly without any crackle and hiss, and this is on a £150 turntable.

The sound shames my WHF 5 star rated CD player. With CD is just sounds too digital unless you have a very good quality clock (for less jitter) in the DAC but these costs hundereds.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
Same as me at the moment, but you can't say you would turn down an Ipod as they are wonderful inventions, I think all true music lovers should own one or should long to own one.
But its all compressed ****, until they release somthing with enough memory so I can make my own proper rips I am sticking to analogue and CD.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Sahir)
I think what what KuZ meant is that the in-built rechargeable battery wears over time.. if you have the battery completing one charge cycle every few days, over time the maximum capacity is reduced massively.

And about being able to change the battery yourself.. it's not easy.. not sure about the mini iPods but the original ones everyone was buying at Christmas time have a battery manufactured by Apple for that product.. meaning exact dimensions, capacity, voltage etc etc.
Thank you, thats exactly what I meant. This is the same thing that happens to mobile phone batteries over time, however they are easier and less expensive to replace.

As for minidiscs, I can't stand them, they are one of the biggest annoyances ever and I refuse to buy one, I like mp3's, regular cd players and of course I'pods
I don't no what to get engraved on my ipod though, still ponderin over it
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sahir)

To be honest I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.. i use minidiscs and a phono lead to link my computer to my hifi.. costing a total of £80 for the player and about a tenner for 10 discs.. which i then record over now and again.
With very heavy use someone will notice some shortening of battery life in about a year.

Personally, I would say changing the battery is easy. My friend has a 1st gen Ipod, and it was a simple case of ordering a battery online and following the instruction. I used a guitar pick to get the case off the Ipod, I took the old battery off it's sticky mounting, unclipped it, clipping in the new battery, put it in place and put the case back together.

I used to be a Mini Disc fan. I own one of the first Sony portable MiniDisc player/recorder. My hifi plays MDs. But at the end of the day you have a disc with a noticibly finite capacity. If I'm going in the train, or in the car, I'll need more than one MD. I like the idea of having everything, or at least several gb's worth, in one attractive package.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
But its all compressed ****, until they release somthing with enough memory so I can make my own proper rips I am sticking to analogue and CD.
Fair enough, I just want something to download my entire song catalogue on my computer onto! And nothing has come close to that yet...except there is this new cd thingy that sony have jus released, which can compress 30 albums into 1 cd. They sell it at my work place for only £50, it would be ideal, but...its big, ugly and bulky, things that girls won't have anything to do with!
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kuz)
Fair enough, I just want something to download my entire song catalogue on my computer onto! And nothing has come close to that yet...except there is this new cd thingy that sony have jus released, which can compress 30 albums into 1 cd. They sell it at my work place for only £50, it would be ideal, but...its big, ugly and bulky, things that girls won't have anything to do with!
40GB Ipod not up to the job?
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
40GB Ipod not up to the job?
No me thinks thats quite adequate! :rolleyes:

What I meant was if you wanted something that could store lots of music but at a fraction of the cost you might go for that. Consider it the poor mans IPod
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

hmm, i really don't think you can argue that vinyl sounds better than properly encoded digital sound. Perhaps you have got accustomed to the way your vinyls play, but because of their nature the resolution of the sound has to deteriate over time. It need only take a clever sound engineer to realise what it is about vinyls that a few people prefer (in terms of sound quality) and introduce these distortions to digital formats. After all, analogue music is effectively pure (ie digital) music with imperfections. And some people like these imperfections!!

And neither of my iPods have had any battery problems. I think that a certain batch were dodgy, but afaik its not a problem with iPods in general. Besides, even with crappy battery life, it beats the hell outta all other MP3 players
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (0)
0%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (6)
60%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (2)
20%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (1)
10%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
10%

Watched Threads