Anyone successfully trained a cat?

Watch
ilex_noemi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am going to vegas soon and booking to see a Popovich show, he works with loads of animals but is more famous for his cats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0MG-8mYVgg

I'd love my cats do to tricks but I think they're a bit too stubborn and I wouldn't have the patience with them haha

I'm just curious if anyone has tried to train their cat like this and did it work?
Genocidal
Badges: 16
Report 7 years ago
You wanted to teach an animal which sleeps on average of 18 hours a day how to do tricks? :lolwut:

Something tells me you made the wrong choice.
The Lyceum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I may have been subconsciously training my cat to savage me whenever she sees me, and only me, over the past few years. If this is the case then let me tell you I'm a wildly successful trainer. Like the Ash Ketchum of the Cat world.
ilex_noemi
Rep:
?
lol I am graduating from animal behaviour but I wouldn't try it! I assume it would take forever to train them? Although it doesn't seem to take Popovich a long time and he trains rescue cats I'm sure some tsr people out there have tried to train a cat to do something lol I'm just interested in finding out about it
Pawsies
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As long as you have a high motivator of course you can train a cat

Clicker training should do the trick, there are loads of trained cats on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUM_g5NPC8Q
EatRainbows
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My cat comes immediately when only I call it

I'm his favourite.
rosee92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've trained some of mine to stand on their back legs when they want their heads rubbing. My mum's trained some to meow in reply to 'what do we want' *meow* 'when do we want it' *meow* when she gives them food, which is quite cute. But apart from that, not much! They're so stubborn!
ilex_noemi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pawsies)
As long as you have a high motivator of course you can train a cat

Clicker training should do the trick, there are loads of trained cats on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUM_g5NPC8Q
Thats quite a good video, I have learned from uni that all animals learn from positive reinforcement better than anything else, plus it give you a stronger relationship with them if they aren't being punished!

I've got all 3 of my cats to come when we whistle in a certain way If we whistle outside you hear their cat bells getting louder and surrounding us haha!

I'm sure it's a lot harder to get a cat to jump, or sit on the back of a dog like Popovich does though! I'd love to hear from someone whos tried something more complicated

Popovich claims that he uses a cats strong points and abilities and then that will determine what kind of tricks they do, so I guess not every cat will be willing to jump on command
AB5493
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I trained my cat to stay off the table by whacking a newspaper on the table whenever she does so.
ilex_noemi
Rep:
?
(Original post by rosee92)
I've trained some of mine to stand on their back legs when they want their heads rubbing. My mum's trained some to meow in reply to 'what do we want' *meow* 'when do we want it' *meow* when she gives them food, which is quite cute. But apart from that, not much! They're so stubborn!
I had one cat that talked anytime we said something to her that was pretty cute! haha

Did you train your cats to stand on their back legs or is that something they did anyway for attention? How did you train them?
MissBlueskys
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My cat has adopted my mums personality, spies on the neighbours just like her aswell. They have a weird connection. We have two back doors, one is jammed, but the cat keeps sitting by it to be let out only when my mum says she is wrong does she immediately run to the other door everytime. She also has an attachment to my brother and whenever he is home from university will spend the majority of her time around him. Yet we can't train her to stop sleeping on the dining table or licking the taps.
ilex_noemi
Rep:
?
(Original post by MissBlueskys)
My cat has adopted my mums personality, spies on the neighbours just like her aswell. They have a weird connection. We have two back doors, one is jammed, but the cat keeps sitting by it to be let out only when my mum says she is wrong does she immediately run to the other door everytime. She also has an attachment to my brother and whenever he is home from university will spend the majority of her time around him. Yet we can't train her to stop sleeping on the dining table or licking the taps.
aww that sounds so cute! I can't get my cats to stop licking taps either haha I guess running water is too tempting for them
littlemissmidget123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've kind of trained my cat! He will sit, catch, wait, guess the right hand the cat treat is in and hi-five! He will always come when called, and understands a lot of vocal commands, such as dinner, breakfast, come, no, down, up...

So i think with a bit of perserverence any cat can be trained just liek dogs.. but I think it requires more effort!

This is my cat: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7291511&type=3
ilex_noemi
Rep:
?
(Original post by littlemissmidget123)
I've kind of trained my cat! He will sit, catch, wait, guess the right hand the cat treat is in and hi-five! He will always come when called, and understands a lot of vocal commands, such as dinner, breakfast, come, no, down, up...

So i think with a bit of perserverence any cat can be trained just liek dogs.. but I think it requires more effort!

This is my cat: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7291511&type=3
awww so cute!! He looks so relaxed! haha your neighbours "evil" kitten look similar to one of my cats but younger

Not sure if it will work but these are my cats
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2135524&type=3

I'd love my cats to hi-five haha!
LethalBeans
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would say that cats can learn tricks, but they need an incentive; but I would say there is a limit as to what you can actually teach them, but I guess it depends on the cat.

Personally, the only trick which I've taught my black & white cat, Oreo, is to stand up by doors when I say 'UP'. In this case, the incentive is that she gets to go through the door after.

Oh and I don't think this counts, but she also responds to me making a clicking sound with my mouth, as well as to her name.
rosee92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xXHolly_90Xx)
I had one cat that talked anytime we said something to her that was pretty cute! haha

Did you train your cats to stand on their back legs or is that something they did anyway for attention? How did you train them?
I have one like that, she's the first female cat I had and she's so affectionate. When I come home I say 'hellooo' and she meows in reply, it's adorable.

Well they like having their heads rubbed, so if you tease them a bit and hold it just out of reach, most of the time they do it. But not too much or they might bite When they do it give them lots of attention after, like a treat. My other cat never used to sit down (very annoying watching tv/trying to sleep) so I'd refuse to pet him until he lay down, then I'd pet him. He learned pretty quickly. No matter what we try we can't get the female cat's brother to not beg at the table. You could be eating a bowl of lentils, and he'll still stand on his back legs and stare at you with his big eyes wanting a taste.
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My cat fetches paper balls you throw and brings them back to you (much like a dog would).
MightyMe.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This thread title made me lol

I wish you the very best of luck in your cat training endeavours
ilex_noemi
Rep:
?
(Original post by rosee92)
I have one like that, she's the first female cat I had and she's so affectionate. When I come home I say 'hellooo' and she meows in reply, it's adorable.

Well they like having their heads rubbed, so if you tease them a bit and hold it just out of reach, most of the time they do it. But not too much or they might bite When they do it give them lots of attention after, like a treat. My other cat never used to sit down (very annoying watching tv/trying to sleep) so I'd refuse to pet him until he lay down, then I'd pet him. He learned pretty quickly. No matter what we try we can't get the female cat's brother to not beg at the table. You could be eating a bowl of lentils, and he'll still stand on his back legs and stare at you with his big eyes wanting a taste.
I'm used to having cats begging for food lol I guess it does depend on the cat because out of my 3 cats, 2 of them are quite independent and 1 of them will run away if you look as though you're going to touch him lol the other is quite affectionate though so maybe I could try that with him he's just too cute though, it's hard to refuse cuddles!!
ilex_noemi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
My cat fetches paper balls you throw and brings them back to you (much like a dog would).
One of my old cats used to do that! I don't think we trained her though it was just something she wanted to do anyway we also had a cat in the past who used to play football with a small ball, she was goalie and very good at it haha!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (258)
33.81%
No (505)
66.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed