Lojo1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello

I wanted to start a useful thread (up to date) about the Unit 4 exam, 14th of June 2012!
I was hoping we could all share useful revision tips and so on, since its too close for comfort....
I've seen thread discussions on the content but not on essay structure? I'm struggling on this, I have no clue how to go about this. :confused:
Any tips would be much appreciated,

Thank you (in advance)
meganBx17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hey im doing this exam too! i know so much i can put in the essay but the structure is whats bugging me too..i dont want to just regurgiatate everything i know incase its not relevant :/ x
CintiaMarina
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Im doing this paper too :/
Anyone got any predictions of what extract might come up, out of Lafolette, Schneewind and Jaimeson?

Wild guess: Jaimeson

Any thoughts?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST18i
Oxocube
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey!
I'm doing this exam! How did everyone find the foundations this morning?
Is anyone else doing the implications exam with Ayer, Donovan and Westphal?
Thanks
graceburch
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello, I sat the exam and messed it up which sucks because I need to get a middle C in both in order to get an A over all this year (which I need for uni.) I answered one on the ontological argument and Natural moral law and they went well but i messed up on the religious language one because i wrote about the wrong stuff. I'm doing the implications exam and feeling very underprepared as my class did a lot of work for Unit 3, and now it's half term so we kind of have to work out how to do Unit 4 on our own, plus I have my philosophy exam on the same day and a history exam 2 days before. At the moment I'm not even sure how to structure responses to the questions but I'm hoping I'll find enough material online to help me figure out what I have to do
CintiaMarina
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by graceburch)
Hello, I sat the exam and messed it up which sucks because I need to get a middle C in both in order to get an A over all this year (which I need for uni.) I answered one on the ontological argument and Natural moral law and they went well but i messed up on the religious language one because i wrote about the wrong stuff. I'm doing the implications exam and feeling very underprepared as my class did a lot of work for Unit 3, and now it's half term so we kind of have to work out how to do Unit 4 on our own, plus I have my philosophy exam on the same day and a history exam 2 days before. At the moment I'm not even sure how to structure responses to the questions but I'm hoping I'll find enough material online to help me figure out what I have to do
I have sample essays for each of the passages, and they are all graded C+.

Let me know if you want these, so I can type them up and send them and hopefully they can help you with an idea on how to structure an answer.

* AO1 is about putting in your own words what the extract is saying, alongside some examples - that is it!
*AO2 is about whether you agree with the passage in question, support your argument with evidence (theories), and if u have the time, show the counter-argument to your own (shows you can see both sides of it all).
Hopefully that will get you a decent grade.
husn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i found the exam ok - the questions were a blessing in my opinion! - was surprising to see atheism come up for the first time - and i liked the fact that all topics were there to choose and answer from -
I chose:
- religious experience
- virtue ethics (although i still think i should have chosen nml instead as i would have had so much more to say)
- Life after death

Now just scared for implications - would defo love if lafollette came up - but wouldnt mind jameson either

My guess:
= jamieson (only because its only come up once, whilst lafollette has come up twice i think and also schneewind came up last year - so unlikely theyll put it in agen: unless their feeling mean!)

Good luck to everyone in advance and happy revising!:cool:
husn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Oxocube)
Hey!
I'm doing this exam! How did everyone find the foundations this morning?
Is anyone else doing the implications exam with Ayer, Donovan and Westphal?
Thanks
how'd u find it?
graceburch
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CintiaMarina)
I have sample essays for each of the passages, and they are all graded C+.

Let me know if you want these, so I can type them up and send them and hopefully they can help you with an idea on how to structure an answer.

* AO1 is about putting in your own words what the extract is saying, alongside some examples - that is it!
*AO2 is about whether you agree with the passage in question, support your argument with evidence (theories), and if u have the time, show the counter-argument to your own (shows you can see both sides of it all).
Hopefully that will get you a decent grade.
Thank you for your very kind offer, but I am guessing from your above post that you only have sample essays on Lafolette, Schneewind and Jaimeson? Sadly I am doing Westphal, Donovan and Ayer. Hope it goes really well for you
Elizabethsmith
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am struggling Westphal and the structure of section A, but i have some A-A* grade essays that i wrote that i could link to you? if that would be useful
rebecca12345
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Who understands Schneewind?!!? NOT ME!
Lana Del Rey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Elizabethsmith)
I am struggling Westphal and the structure of section A, but i have some A-A* grade essays that i wrote that i could link to you? if that would be useful
Would love it if you could link them.

Thanks.
graceburch
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes please! I feel so unprepared and it was my teachers first year of teaching it so I'm not sure he knew totally what he was doing; he told us just to use knowledge from unit 3 and that writing it would be unit 3 and common sense combined... all we really did in class was read through the essay and he'd explain key terms. Gaaah if i miss out on getting an A that is my uni place gone. Also for anyone doing westphal, donovan and ayer google 'wellington school unit 4 implications' and click on one of the first links... that school has loads of info up for unit 4 that I've been using. X
Elizabethsmith
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes please! I feel so unprepared and it was my teachers first year of teaching it so I'm not sure he knew totally what he was doing; he told us just to use knowledge from unit 3 and that writing it would be unit 3 and common sense combined... all we really did in class was read through the essay and he'd explain key terms. Gaaah if i miss out on getting an A that is my uni place gone. Also for anyone doing westphal, donovan and ayer google 'wellington school unit 4 implications' and click on one of the first links... that school has loads of info up for unit 4 that I've been using. X
Yeah I've already got everything off that site, do you know of any others that have useful resoures?westphal essay.docDonovan Essay.docAJ Ayer Essay.doc there are the essays
graceburch
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah I've already got everything off that site, do you know of any others that have useful resoures?westphal essay.docDonovan Essay.docAJ Ayer Essay.doc there are the essays
Thank you so much that's very kind! I don't know of any other resources yet but if I come across any I'll be sure to post them :-)
Lojo1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
UNIT 3 was such a beautiful paper! But for some reason i completly messed it up! I could barely remeber my name in that exam! I even wrote in BLUE pen! BLUE! This paper (UNIT 4) is the only thing that can salvage my grade.

Not sure of everyone knows this, BUT there is a VERY useful work book for unit 4 on the edexcel website!
graceburch
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lojo1)
UNIT 3 was such a beautiful paper! But for some reason i completly messed it up! I could barely remeber my name in that exam! I even wrote in BLUE pen! BLUE! This paper (UNIT 4) is the only thing that can salvage my grade.

Not sure of everyone knows this, BUT there is a VERY useful work book for unit 4 on the edexcel website!
don't worry I messed up that exam to... two questions went ok and then one of them I started and by the time i realized I couldn't answer it I had gotten to far into it to turn back. It sucks! I have been using the workbook and also check out wellington school resources for Unit 4 (just google it) and there is tonnes of stuff if you are doing westphal, donovan and ayer.
graceburch
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Also if anyone has time could someone write down the basic essay plan for each question as that is what I'm really struggling with.

So far for the first queston I think the plan is:

( this is how i split the paragraphs)

1)say who the person is, give some background info on them etc.
2)Say what whole essay is about
3)What passage is about, critique idea
4)What passage is about, critique idea
5)What passage is about critique idea
6)conclude

but I dunno what I'm doing for the 2nd question or if Im even right for this one. Thanks guys :-)
graceburch
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by blahblahb)
For those doing the Ayer, Westphal or Donovan articles it is most likely to be Donovan that comes up. I know someone who has the examiner, aka the woman who wrote the exam, Sarah K Tyler as their teacher and she said she'd bet on Donovan. The 2nd most likely is Ayer, Westphal came up last time and so is very unlikely to come up again.
Seriously? Damn I really want Ayer to come up!
blahblahb
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Seriously? Damn I really want Ayer to come up!
Yup i'm afraid so, me too! Donovan's article is far too long and confusing I think..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (155)
51.84%
No (144)
48.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed