Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

How do I get full student support when only entitled to two years? Watch

    • Thread Starter

    I am a Welsh mature student about to study in England this September. I have began a degree course twice in the past but not completed it. Student Finance Wales have told me that I'm only entitled now to full support for my 2nd & 3rd year, I will be entitled to the maintenance loan for my 1st year but will have to cover my own fees which of course is now £9000. This is not surprisingly impossible for me to find that sort of money.

    Does anyone now of a way I can reimburse the full support for my 1st year too? Or an alternative route to get help paying for my first year of fees?
    The university I will be studying at is Brighton University if that helps.

    Unfortunately there is no way to get those years refunded and with 2 years previous study there is no way to get SFW to fund those years.

    You could look into a Career Development Loan (Barclays and the Co-op do them) however, they are usually for courses lasting up to 2 years and the repayments start immediately after your course finishes (within those 2 years), and are notoriously difficult to get approved.

    Another option is to ask your university if you could pay by installments and get a job during your first year.
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.