Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

first songs to learn on acoustic guitar? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I started playing guitar during 3rd year at high school, but due to instrumental switches dropped it during the int2 course. Now I wish to pick it up again at the end of this exam year, once my highers are done. Can anyone recommend a few good indie tracks which are simple enough for me to start with- then some to progress on to?

ReputationRep:
    Well done for picking it up again! Reminds me to do the same

There's a few simple things I enjoyed playing but it really depends on your taste.

You should try out Sigh No More by Mumford & Sons and also House of The Rising Sun by The Animals. I'm not really sure what your taste is but they're nice and simple songs to give a go. If you prefer poppy stuff, I know that songs by people like Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga are normally fairly easy to acoustically play!

ReputationRep:
    "Into Dust" by Mazzy Star was one of my first ones, as well as various pop songs and a couple of Red Hot Chilis (though their songs can be quite hard). I'd recommend finding a site with various free guitar sheet music and just seeing what jumps out at you - it's a matter of personal taste, really.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's best to learn a song that you like. Just search 'song x chords' on google and just work from there.
    It's much easier to learn a song you know already off by heart than learning a new one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holdencauliflower)
    Hello
    I started playing guitar during 3rd year at high school, but due to instrumental switches dropped it during the int2 course. Now I wish to pick it up again at the end of this exam year, once my highers are done. Can anyone recommend a few good indie tracks which are simple enough for me to start with- then some to progress on to?
    Time of Your Life by Green Day is always a good one . . .

I'd also suggest looking up any and everything to find stuff you like and works, then you can build up a solid collection in a folder in your bookmarks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by looneylamb)
    Well done for picking it up again! Reminds me to do the same

There's a few simple things I enjoyed playing but it really depends on your taste.

You should try out Sigh No More by Mumford & Sons and also House of The Rising Sun by The Animals. I'm not really sure what your taste is but they're nice and simple songs to give a go. If you prefer poppy stuff, I know that songs by people like Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga are normally fairly easy to acoustically play!
    Thankyou! ^_^
    yeah-those are actually two of my favourite songs as well I'll definitely give them a go when these pesky exams are over. Cant say i'm a huge Belieber/Gagaperson though :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by najabri)
    "Into Dust" by Mazzy Star was one of my first ones, as well as various pop songs and a couple of Red Hot Chilis (though their songs can be quite hard). I'd recommend finding a site with various free guitar sheet music and just seeing what jumps out at you - it's a matter of personal taste, really.
    What chilis songs would you recommend - i actually have a tab book of their Greatest Hits somewhere =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holdencauliflower)
    What chilis songs would you recommend - i actually have a tab book of their Greatest Hits somewhere =)
    My recommendation would depend completely on your preference - no point spending ages mastering something you don't enjoy playing! Have a look through the Greatest Hits and see what jumps out at you, checking semi-forgotten ones on youtube.

ReputationRep:
    Metallica - Nothing Else Matters. The intro is pretty easy, though the verse may take some practice. When you get good, you should try this:

ReputationRep:
    Importance of Being Idle by Oasis is pretty good. Nice pattern too

ReputationRep:
    Wonderwall is pretty standard.

ReputationRep:
    Nirvana Smells like Teen Spirit.

Foo Fighters Resolve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guitarded)
    ...try this:
    Holy bike on a christ, that's fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Good Riddance (Time of Your life) by Green Day is a good and simple song to learn on acoustic guitar. It was the first song I learnt! Green Day are awesome, Nimrod was an amazing album.

ReputationRep:
    :awesome:

But more seriously, the above suggestion of finding the chords for a song you like is always a good way to go for a beginner. And a pro. Nothing better than really wanting to play a song then finally nailing it!

ReputationRep:
    'With A Little Help From My Friends' by The Beatles was one of the first I learnt.

I need/want to start playing again, because I've stopped over the last few months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Himynameskiefer)
    Good Riddance (Time of Your life) by Green Day is a good and simple song to learn on acoustic guitar. It was the first song I learnt! Green Day are awesome, Nimrod was an amazing album.

first song I ever learnt too

ReputationRep:
    The first song I learnt was Wish You Wee Here by Pink Floyd, it's actually pretty useful, as it teaches working your way around the chords and how to do hammer-ons

ReputationRep:
    Anything with chords C, D, G, Em in whatever order are pretty easy and standard to start with

Country Roads - John Denver
    SING - My Chemical Romance
    Hey Soul Sister - Train (I think it's usually played with chords C, F, Am, G, but G, D, Em, C works just as well)
    Winter Winds - Mumford and Sons

There's loads of them.

www.ultimate-guitar.com is a good place to look for tabs don't be put off if the original tuning seems a bit awkward, you can transpose it up or down which may make it easier to play because it could recommend the C, D, G, Em chords

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    :awesome:
    As much as I love BLS, that track is just downright silly :P Now for some real Zakk Wylde acoustic:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 11, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.