Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have applied to do Chemistry with an European Language at UCL. I went to their open day last Tuesday and had an informal interview at the end. I must admit that I was shaking a bit but that's probably expected at interviews right? Anyways, I have received this letter today but I don't know whether they have made me an offer or not. Here it goes:

"Thank you for coming to the Department on Tuesday, I hope that you found the visit worthwhile. I have written to the Tutor for Mathematical and Physical Sciences recommending that you are made an offer through UCAS for admission to this department.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for applying to the Department of Chemistry at University College London. If I can be of further help at any time in the future please do not hesistate to contact me.

I hope that we will be welcoming you to UCL.

Yours sincerely

Dr Graeme Hogarth
    Admissions Tutor"

Btw, in the letter they sent to me 2 months ago noticing me about the date of the interview, they said they would make an offer right after the interview but they didn't do this. Instead, I was told that they would reply back after the interview.

So, have I got an offer already or does it still need to be reviewed by the whole of the Mathematics and Physical Sciences department first before making a formal offer?

ReputationRep:
    No, you don't have an offer yet, the person who wrote the letter is going to make a RECOMMENDATION to the big boys in charge to make you an offer (so I would say it's HIGHLY likely that you will be made an offer at some point in the near future). Because, let's face it, it's not nice to send you a letter like that, getting your hopes up only for them to turn around and reject you, is it?

ReputationRep:
    email them and ask, they won't mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherub_rock)
    No, you don't have an offer yet, the person who wrote the letter is going to make a RECOMMENDATION to the big boys in charge to make you an offer (so I would say it's HIGHLY likely that you will be made an offer at some point in the near future). Because, let's face it, it's not nice to send you a letter like that, getting your hopes up only for them to turn around and reject you, is it?
    But could it be that they send this to everyone anyways?

ReputationRep:
    Just wait - I got one of these last year and got an offer. It is as close to an offer as you can get without it being binding, they probably just wanted to inform you that they thought you performed well at the interview and will make you an offer as long as everything else goes smoothy. Just sit back and relax and within two weeks or so you should have an official confirmation.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I admit that I shook a bit during the interview but I guess that's quite expected at a place such as UCL. Even though the interview was 20 minutes, it went really quick and I still had plenty of questions to ask. Luckily for me, the lady who interviewed me was very friendly and it seems we have spoken to each other a few times via e-mail.

ReputationRep:
    When I went for my computer science interview at Salford they told me in the interview they were impressed and would make would recomend that they made me an offer. Three weeks later I got the offer through the post.

ReputationRep:
    I got a letter from Exeter saying 'Dear Candidate, you will be aware that official offers and acceptances of places can only be made through UCAs, but we are pleased to let you know that we are recommending that you be offered a place...' Basically if you get a letter from the department saying they are recommending you get an offer, you will get an offer (afterall, they are the ones who make the decision - they don't have to refer to anyone else within the uni)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byakugan_neji)
    Well, I admit that I shook a bit during the interview but I guess that's quite expected at a place such as UCL. Even though the interview was 20 minutes, it went really quick and I still had plenty of questions to ask. Luckily for me, the lady who interviewed me was very friendly and it seems we have spoken to each other a few times via e-mail.

yes that is an offer! well done i got the same rersponse from warwick n ox

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm still quite surprised about (possibly!) being given a conditional offer. There must be hundreds of straight-A students who have applied for Chemistry at UCL and I find it more surprising considering their annual intake is only about 80. Maybe it was because on the open day, there was only 1 other person doing Chemistry with an European Language so that they had to accept us to keep the course running.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.