The Student Room Group

Fat friend breaks your furniture: What do you do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Darth Stewie
hmmm...ive got it!

As they are about to sit down quickly ask them to go grab you something out of the kitchen, as they go quickly grab all the books you can and stack them under the chair to provide extra support and hope that all will go well.

If it doesn't no one can say you didn't try and avert the situation lol :biggrin: tbh i couldn't imagine living without my beanie chair, honestly one of the best purchases i ever made.

I really have the urge to go and reinforce all my chairs now, tbh i should probably be studying as well :tongue:

Haha! Well I hope the OP realises how much thought has gone into this!

I was at a cafe with some friends once, and one of my larger friends managed to utterly destroy her chosen chair when she sat down. It was mortifying, no one really knew what to say. I really think that beanie chairs should be compulsory in cafes nowadays.
Reply 41
Believe it or not, one of my friends has had a Rocking chair broken by another friend before.
Judge Judy sorts this out.

In summary....Your friend didn't break the chair on purpose. The Chair broke. So...just get a new chair and stop being a baby.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by F Ellen
Haha! Well I hope the OP realises how much thought has gone into this!

I was at a cafe with some friends once, and one of my larger friends managed to utterly destroy her chosen chair when she sat down. It was mortifying, no one really knew what to say. I really think that beanie chairs should be compulsory in cafes nowadays.

oooo in a cafe must have been a lot worse than at someones house, can't just play it down lol. think we should just replace all furniture with beanie furniture, beanie beds, beanie tables it would be a world where people would no longer have to live in fear of breaking chairs, massive step forward for humanity tbh :biggrin:
A chair is a chair. I wouldn't be petty. However, I would ring the alarm bells for them that their weight may be endangering their health, because I'm blunt, but I find you've got to be cruel to be kind to people.
Reply 45
Original post by Darth Stewie
oooo in a cafe must have been a lot worse than at someones house, can't just play it down lol. think we should just replace all furniture with beanie furniture, beanie beds, beanie tables it would be a world where people would no longer have to live in fear of breaking chairs, massive step forward for humanity tbh :biggrin:

I dunno, I'm kinda seeing a downside to beanie tables. Living in fear of spills!
Reply 46
Original post by Jordan_1
I wouldn't have fat friends

I would like this twice if I could :biggrin:
Reply 47
I'm not exactly fat, but I was once taken to a lecture at a nearby uni and we were all asked to sit down in these tiny chairs obviously built for primary-schoolers.
It was hillarious, I wasn't the only person that had their chair-legs break by the end of the class - I was too scared to sit down on them afterwards, as were the other four people that it happened too :colone:
Reply 48
I would get them to pay for it or at least apologise for breaking it
Reply 49
Original post by doriangrayism
judge judy sorts this out.

in summary....your friend didn't break the chair on purpose. The chair broke. So...just get a new chair and stop being a baby.

hilarious.
Reply 50
Original post by Fail Whale

a) Demand that they replace said item of furniture. Friend is mortified and you're embarrassed for them, but at the end of the day you really liked that chair and they broke it.
b) Casually mention that your favourite chair is broken and you wonder how it happened. This gives them the opportunity to turn themselves in and is less embarrassing than the first option, but there is the significant risk that they may not fess up.
c) Buy a new chair yourself and never mention the incident to Fat Friend at all. Friendship remains superficially intact but you'll always feel slightly bitter about the chair incident.
d) Buy a new chair and never invite Fat Friend to your house again.
e) Other

Ha ha, did this actually happen or is it all hypothetical? :biggrin:

I guess it all depends on the relative values attached to both chair and fat friend.

If the friendship is of much higher value than the chair, then options b) or c).

If aforementioned chair is irreplaceable and of greater value, options a) or d).

If it were me, I'd probably let it slide (c), if only because of the personal discomfort it would cause me to pick the other options.
Reply 51
Of course,
if the friend broke the chair whilst doing something downright silly - like the time my flatmate broke the pull-cord light switch in the upstairs bathroom by swinging on it like Tarzan - then I would be merciless...
This whole thread is funny.

This has actually happened to me before. One of my sister's friend came round, her whole family is morbidly obese but she is the largest one. She was sat on one of our chairs using the computer and she was leaning on one side of the chair's legs and the leg cracked really slowly. I couldn't stop laughing but I felt kinda bad because she's a nice person.

We just threw the chair out.
Reply 53
Original post by Cinnabar
Ha ha, did this actually happen or is it all hypothetical? :biggrin:

It's hypothetical.

PS: I find it kind of creepy how AdChoices stalks me so closely that they know I made a thread about broken chairs and are now directing chair adverts at me. LOL

It's just a chair so don't act like a ****. Not really worth jepordising a friendship or making your friend feel like crap because of it.
Reply 55
[video="youtube;yeCim6xrbLU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeCim6xrbLU[/video]
what kind of person charges their friend :/
Demand they pay for a new chair and replace them with someone else that is more appropriate.
Original post by kopite493
what kind of person charges their friend :/

What kind of friend breaks something belonging to their friend and doesn't immediately volunteer to pay for it? I would be horrendously guilty and apologetic if I'd broken something of a friend and would get my wallet out straight away.
Buy your fat friend a treadmill.

Problem Solved. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest