The Student Room Group

Question regarding the (pi) bond

How are the electrons arranged? I mean does the attraction occur between 2 electrons over the sigma bond?
Above and below the sigma bond

Original post by EierVonSatan
Above and below the sigma bond

You know the second picture the top "sausage" are there two electrons in that, I mean why is there a sausage at the top and bottom when each carbon atom only donate one electron to the bond?
Original post by IShouldBeRevising_
You know the second picture the top "sausage" are there two electrons in that, I mean why is there a sausage at the top and bottom when each carbon atom only donate one electron to the bond?

You can have two in the top, two in the bottom or one in each. Just like in the top and bottom part of the p orbitals on the left hand side. The image just describes where the is a good chance an electron will be.
Reply 4
Original post by IShouldBeRevising_

That is the shape of a pi molecular orbital :tongue:. Don't try and think logically as to how the electron gets between the two sections of the orbital as there is defined to be a nodal plane between them (ie the probability of finding an electron in that plane is zero).
Original post by EierVonSatan
You can have two in the top, two in the bottom or one in each. Just like in the top and bottom part of the p orbitals on the left hand side. The image just describes where the is a good chance an electron will be.

Oh so the electrons can take any position, thanks makes much more sense now.
Original post by illusionz
That is the shape of a pi molecular orbital :tongue:. Don't try and think logically as to how the electron gets between the two sections of the orbital as there is defined to be a nodal plane between them (ie the probability of finding an electron in that plane is zero).

Thanks
Think of the electrons as waves rather than particles, as they are waves and particles at the same time. The electrons are spread over the molecular orbital, and these plots represent to probability distribution of the real part of the wavefunction. (the wavefunction can be broken into two parts, one involving imaginary numbers). The plots of orbitals typically indicate the region in which there is a 90% chance the electron could be found.
Reply 8
As others have said, the two can be anywhere.

When chemistry/physics gets to a subatomic level, try not to think about it otherwise your brain will melt.
Reply 9
Original post by lukas1051
As others have said, the two can be anywhere.

When chemistry/physics gets to a subatomic level, try not to think about it otherwise your brain will melt.

Not stictly true. For a pi bond there is a nodal plane which means that the probability of finding an electron anywhere on that plane is zero. Trying to get your head around how they get from one side to the other makes your head hurt :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by illusionz
Not stictly true. For a pi bond there is a nodal plane which means that the probability of finding an electron anywhere on that plane is zero. Trying to get your head around how they get from one side to the other makes your head hurt :tongue:

Ah, but the plane is infinitesimally thin :wink:
Original post by Bradshaw
Ah, but the plane is infinitesimally thin :wink:

Yeah, I know. I just find the strange concept being that the electrons tunnel through the plane. Quantum mechanics makes my head hurt. Just spend the enture day revising Perturbation/reactivity theory. Back to organic! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest