Tay Taylor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Does anyone take AS Level History of Art with AQA?! I'm the only person in my school who takes it and am stressing out massively because I'm not sure on the best revision techniques because there's so much to learn! Any advice? Or anyone feeling the way I do?!! Any help would be amazing - thank you!!
pinkangeroo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm in the same situation as you. Only person taking it, so I can't be sure if I'm doing it right.

But what I've done, is create a grid, on one side is says painting;sculpture;architecture and on the other it has subjects and genres; historical and social context etc. Then, in each box I've written what I would write if that topic came up.

That's for HART2, and for HART1 I think all you can do is keep practising questions, and looking at mark schemes.

Hope this helps!
Tay Taylor
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thank you! That's really useful. I've found with HART2 there is just so much to learn but your grid sounds really good! I will give it a try!

Good luck in your exams!
Sicilienne
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bit slow on the uptake, but me too - I've found having a select number of paintings/works available for HART2 which can be used for different aspects is handy, for HART1 I think it's just a matter of having the knowledge on the formal ideas - the meaning's fairly straightforward to grasp for me at least, but the terminology is definitely my downfall.

Will definitely try your grid too
Tiggy1995
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm really worried. I haven't learnt all e paintings,sculptures or buildings that we've gone through in class. I know we only answer three out of six questions. Does anyone have the jan 2012 paper for it?
mike is confused
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
quick question, anyone know if we have to learn the exact date for a painting or whatever for HART2 or could we get away with, eg. picasso's guernica was made in the early 20th century
NEEHOW
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mike is confused)
quick question, anyone know if we have to learn the exact date for a painting or whatever for HART2 or could we get away with, eg. picasso's guernica was made in the early 20th century
apparently so. i hear detail is key, even the smallest
HomeStudyCandidate
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi I am studying the History of Art A level from home, using just the guidelines from the exam board website (AQA) it's going to be an interesting challenge as I haven't got a teacher telling me what i need to study and there is so much to cover !! ... I'd like to hear what other students think of the course - which parts they enjoy most, their favourite paintings and artists etc anything thing find difficult or boring (and why) and which artworks teachers seem to think are of most interest. It would be interesting for me to hear what other students think as I have no classmates whatsoever to discuss these things with ! Hope to keep this thread alive with anything to do with AS and A2 History of Art... Thanks
Tay Taylor
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
how did everyone do with results? i found the grade boundaries were much, much higher than i expected, did anyone else?
CurtisDean
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tay Taylor)
how did everyone do with results? i found the grade boundaries were much, much higher than i expected, did anyone else?
Hey, what did you get?
CurtisDean
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey all -
I want to study History of Art. However, they do not teach it at my school.
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on History of Art?
I think that I may ask the A-Level art teacher if he has enough time to help me a few times after school each week or maybe I will try to find a tutor that could help?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated
mktforfour?
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Great subject, possibly one of the best at A-Level imho. The best analogue i can give is that its like English Literature but with art, acrhitecture and sculpture being the medium rather than text. So as a pre-requisite, if you are contemplating doing this with minimal support, i would suggest that you need to be really confident at writing essays, and possibly try and rope an english teacher into checking essays in addition to an art teacher.

It has some very practical aspects: analysing how we look at things, ways of seeing, social issues etc. But i cant imagine it being nearly as much fun studying it in isolation. It was one of the only subjects where i valued the input of fellow students, simply because it got you thinking in new ways.

I would be happy to help anyone a bit more if they are stuck, but i don't really use these forums much (because it makes me feel old/a weirdo for looking at kids talking to each other), pm me.
liamog
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
is there a textbook recommended for A Level Art???
HomeStudyCandidate
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is not a specific textbook for History of Art A Level, or the exam guidebooks as there are for many other subjects (although I note your question is referring to Art....?? I can't answer that, sorry) If you are studying History of Art, check the website of the examination board for a Resource List - I'm doing the AQA exam and have read ALL the info they provide, it's good for getting past exam papers too. AQA use a book called 'A World History of Art' by Hugh Honour & John Fleming for the examples in their notes so I bought it (as it was only short term loan at the local university library & the public library didn't have a copy) it cost about £20, but it is worth it - it's huge, but easy to read and has a glowing reference from art historian extraordinaire Andrew Graham Dixon, which is about as good as it gets for reviews! I also recommend 'Learning to Look at Art' by Mary Acton, this will help with the nuts and bolts of Unit 1. I have also devised a system of A-Z index cards of artists and art movements whereby *whichever* book I am reading I will put my notes on an index card headed with the name of that artist/movement. Eventually I will end up amassing lots of notes on each artist/movement from various sources and all filed together on index cards filed under their name. Hope this helps.
hvmp1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, my HOA teacher is not very clear at all what we have to study for AS and all of his previous students have got very low marks.. would anyone be able to make it clear exactly what key subjects I should learn because i am worrying! or just clarify... because the AQA is really specific enough
HomeStudyCandidate
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Your teacher should be reading through the Specifications provided by the AQA on their website! See here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/art-a...ry-of-art-2250

For AS Level you cover just Unit 1 & 2 which are, respectively, "Visual Analysis & Interpretation" & "Themes in History of Art".

The AQA website is the place to go, as it provides all the info teachers need to plan their lessons, or for private candidates like myself.

I basically printed out EVERYTHING from the website from the Specifications, Schemes of Work, Mark Schemes, Reports on the Examinations, everything - and then went through it with a fine toothcomb, making notes and taking heed of the examples they provide. This way I will discover exactly what the exam board expect to be taught & learnt for the exam.

Start by looking at the Specifications for 2014 pdf and then the Schemes of Work pdf, this can be found via the Teaching & learning resources link http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/art-a...ning-resources

Sorry I can't be anymore help, am short on time. Best of luck.
hvmp1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you so much. That is really helpful and I have done that! Does anyone know of any techniques that would help for Unit 1 or 2!? It would be really useful for any suggestions whatsoever
hvmp1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For the themes paper- (unit 2)- would you suggest learning: for each question = 2 paintings, 2 sculptures, and 2 buildings? for all 8 questions?? my memory is quite good.. but i don't know how schools are normally taught for the themes paper!
cogarch
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was interested by your message as my daughter is in the same situation - moving from a school where they teach it to one where they do not. What did you decide to do in the end? We're thinking maybe she can do a History of Art subject for EPQ.
cogarch
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HomeStudyCandidate)
Your teacher should be reading through the Specifications provided by the AQA on their website! See here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/art-a...ry-of-art-2250
I'm impressed by your resourcefulness. Are you taking HOA at home because it isn't taught at your school? If so how do you handle this and all the workload from you other A Levels as well? Or are you just doing it independently?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.43%
England (143)
34.71%
Belgium (32)
7.77%
Germany (41)
9.95%
Spain (10)
2.43%