The Student Room Group

OCR History B A2 Unit f985/f986 Historical controversies unit

I've been told by my teacher that the best way to approach the part A of this answer is to do a paragraph focusing on the methods, approaches and interpretation of the historian in the extract. After reading the examiners reports, [the earlier ones (june 2010)] state the better candidates took this approach but the more recent ones (jan/june 2011- jan 2012) say that the less good candidates took this tactic.
How have you been told, or feel is the best way to answer it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We have been told to link approach and methods and how this leads to the historian's interpretation so I guess the paragraphs would contain analysis of all 3 rather than do them separately. Although I am still unclear of how to do this effectively and the exam is soon :/
Reply 2
I just can't understand these examiners reports, they're basically contrdicting themselves. It says one year that this is the best way to go about structuring and answer and the other time it says do not do it.
Gahhh, I'm seriously panicking, I start my exam 2 weeks tomorrow D:
Reply 3
my teacher has said that the interpretation first and then approaches/methods structure is better than nothing (for weaker candidates i guess), but if you can weave them all together and make it less structured but more fluent and less methodological it's better....

is anybody doing the crusades option? :biggrin:
Reply 4
No, we're doing debates about the Holocaust!
Reply 5
I'm doing Witch-hunting in early modern europe, it's all based around the same concept of examination though. Just I don't understand it :/
Original post by Iepnauy

On another note, I think my school is the only one that does British Empire :L

Yay British Empire!

=best subject
Reply 7
I do Crusades!!!!!

Quite interesting, but the subject is just so broad (it's spread over about 300-600 years considering on what you count as a 'crusade') and we effectively have to have some knowledge about all of this, so it's quite hard to revise. I've given up for today, but my exams on friday so probably a silly idea!!!!

We do interpretation first, then method and approaches :biggrin: I find B question impossible!
Reply 8
I swear revision is just impossible. I've handed all my stuff in now anyway, exam's on Tuesday.
Reply 9
Revising for this is far too difficult, lots to learn etc. I don't see the point personally, just work on exam technique (structure, planning etc). And have a rough idea where each area of study is in your file. After all, may as well make the most of what you're allowed to bring in. I assume you're also allowed to bring stuff into the exam with you...?

Yep :tongue: A HUGE folder and as many books as we want, we're also allowed access to the internet!!! It's lured me into a false sense of security :redface:
Reply 10
Original post by JJTEASE

Yep :tongue: A HUGE folder and as many books as we want, we're also allowed access to the internet!!! It's lured me into a false sense of security :redface:

Yeah... Same with us =/. I don't think any of us are panicking yet :wink:. Exam on Monday :biggrin:. I think I'll spend more time flicking through my folders than actually typing.
That's another thing, you can TYPE it up >_>. No more spelling mistakes :colondollar:
Reply 11
Original post by Iepnauy
Yeah... Same with us =/. I don't think any of us are panicking yet :wink:. Exam on Monday :biggrin:. I think I'll spend more time flicking through my folders than actually typing.
That's another thing, you can TYPE it up >_>. No more spelling mistakes :colondollar:

Aha we see the paper on friday and then write for two hours on tuesday!!!!

I'm paniking like mad :redface: Should be fine though! It's nice that we have time in between the two exams to plan the answer :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by ihateocr
I'm doing Witch-hunting in early modern europe, it's all based around the same concept of examination though. Just I don't understand it :/

Hey. Do you have any idea what January 2012s part b was on this year because my tutor doesn't know. Thanks
Did the first hour today. Found its actually really difficult to use the stuff in your folder when you're under pressure! Did anyone else start today? How did you find it. I'm doing the crusades btw :/
Original post by lozvegas
I swear revision is just impossible. I've handed all my stuff in now anyway, exam's on Tuesday.

What topic are you doing? :smile:
Reply 15
Starting my first hour of the exam in 50minutes, bricking it as to what the part B question's going to be, doing witch-hunting.
I still feel under prepared and ive been working all day.
Hows everyone else found it?
Original post by DtpHazzy
Starting my first hour of the exam in 50minutes, bricking it as to what the part B question's going to be, doing witch-hunting.

Don't worry mate - u can talk to people all week about it:colone:
Reply 17

Tell us what Part B is! :P

Original post by willnotrest
What topic are you doing? :smile:

Witch-hunting! :smile: You?
I've heard from a friend who did witch hunting this morning its not too bad:wink:
Reply 19

Are you allowed to take the text book in with you?

Quick Reply