JohnRutts
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
A group of scientists Observe the times of day in which a group of organisms eat; in the experiment, the variable which is changing is the times of day when the scientists observe the feeding pattern. My question is: is this a categorical, discrete, continuous or ordered variable?
Thanks
Authoritar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would think it is continuous, as the scientists are waiting and purely recording what time the group of organisms are eating?

Edit: Read wrong!

http://www.gcsescience.com/hsw7.htm < this should help. If there are set times they are observing, it would be categorical I think
littleone271
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
continuous means that it's measured, categoric falls under discrete I think because it's something that's counted. For instance womens dress sizes are discrete categoric data because they aren't actual measurements. I suppose if it's done as in like 'morning', 'afternoon' and 'evening' then it would be classed as categoric because it's not a proper measurement but if it's being done accurately then I'm guessing it would be classed as continuous.

I think this site confirms my theory.

http://www.gcsescience.com/hsw7.htm
JohnRutts
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thankyou
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (151)
54.91%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.82%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.27%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.45%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.82%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.73%

Watched Threads