The Student Room Group

The Guidance Document of the EU bloc

The following poll is for members of the EU states only! Any vote made by another will not be counted.

The following is the promised constitution for the EU Bloc. As proposed by the representative for the Model House of Commons:

I now invite the GA to asses this proposal and comment.

1. The Secretariat of the EU bloc

i) The EU representative of the MUN shall be the Secretariat of the EU bloc
ii) The Secretariat shall be responsible for posting motions in the EU bloc thread at a rate of one per day. In the event that more than one motion is received, the motion of the President of the EU shall take precedent over other motions. If not, then motions will be submitted one per day in the order that they have been received
iii) The Secretariat shall post treaties when he has received notification of them from a member state and hold a vote on any treated negotiated.
iv) The Secretariat may not post in debates except to post the motion or treaty and to clarify points of EU law
v) The Secretariat may issue statements on behalf of the EU when the opinion of EU member states is united. EU member states may supplement these statements.
vi) The Secretariat shall chair, but not participate in Eurozone debates
vii) The Secretariat shall post membership upgrade motions, but may not debate in them.
viii) The Secretariat may still post in his role as EU rep in any discussion, but may provide an additional ‘official’ statement as set out in Section 7 of this Guidance Document.
ix) The Secretariat shall be elected from any of the 27 EU member states in the process as detailed in section 9 of this Guidance Document.
x) The Secretariat may be subject to a vote of no confidence as detailed in section 10.
xi) The Secretariat may dual represent the EU and their own member state, but must ensure that they act in the role of EU rep when dealing with any EU business.

2. The President of the EU

i) The President of the EU shall be a rotating presidency with each member state serving a term of one month at a time.
ii) The Presidency shall be allotted in turn each month to countries based on alphabetical order. Where a country has no representative, the presidency shall pass onto the next country on the list.
iii) The Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs of the MHoC shall be the president when the MHoC holds the presidency.
iv) Motions submitted by the President take precedent over all other motions.

3. Members of the EU

i) Membership of the EU bloc shall be divided into four categories: member state, candidate state, applicant state, European state.
ii) A member state is defined as a state which is a member of the EU. A member state may participate in any and all activities and votes of the EU except in the case where a member state is not a member of the Eurozone in which case they may only debate and not vote in Eurozone meetings
iii) A candidate state is a state which has candidate status in the EU. A candidate state may debate motions only. They have no other powers.
iv) An applicant state is a state which has applied to join the EU. An applicant state may debate motions only. They have no other powers
v) A European state is a state which has no affiliation with membership of the EU. They may debate motions only. They have no other powers.
vi) A candidate state or applicant state may have their membership upgraded when a member state proposes that they be upgraded with a second member state seconding this proposal. A vote will be held for a period of 4 days. A 100% majority on the vote will allow the state to upgrade their status.
vii) A European state may seek applicant status within the EU by PMing the Secretariat. The Secretariat will post a vote for a period of 4 days and 100% majority will allow the European’s membership status to be upgraded.

4. Motions

i) The Secretariat will post motions at a rate of one per day in the EU bloc thread. Where more than one motion has been submitted, the President’s motion of the EU shall take precedent. If there is no Presidential motion, then the Secretariat will post motions at a rate of one per day on the basis of when the motion has been received.
ii) All members of the EU bloc may debate motions. Only member states may vote on motions.
iii) A vote shall be posted in the MUN by the Secretariat and last for a period of four days.

5. Treaties

i) Any member state may initiate a treaty debate by notifying the Secretariat. The Secretariat will then post a treaty discussion thread in the MUN.
ii) Only one treaty may debated at a time.
iii) Only member states may debate or vote on treaties.
iv) If a treaty is negotiated, the Secretariat shall set up a vote lasting four days. Member states must PM the Secretariat with their veto on the first day of the four day voting period. Should the treaty be vetoed, the vote may proceed with the treaty regarded as a pact and not a treaty.
v) The treaty negotiations are considered to have ended if there has been no discussion for more than two days or where the proposer has moved that the thread be closed.
vi) All votes for the treaty are taken as both approval and ratification except in the case of the MHoC where the vote will only count as approval with the MHoC to ratify the document via the channels set out in the MHoC Constitution and Guidance Document.
vii) Treaties regarding the Eurozone may debated by all member states, but voted upon by Eurozone countries.
viii) For a treaty to remain a treaty and not a pact all member states must vote for the treaty. A majority of 100% is required for the treaty to be passed as a treated and not a pact. A pact may still be signed provided that two or more countries approve it.

6. Eurozone Meetings

i) A Eurozone meeting may be called once every three months by the President of the EU and held in the Eurozone meeting thread.
ii) Any subject relating to the Eurozone may be debated by the Eurozone meeting.
iii) Any motion or treaty resulting from a Eurozone meeting may be debated by all member states and voted upon by only the Eurozone member states with the same rules as in sections 4 and 5.
iv) Any motion resulting from the Eurozone meeting will not count towards the one motion a day limit and will be posted in the Eurozone meeting thread.
v) The Secretary General of the MUN shall close the Eurozone meeting thread between Eurozone meetings.

7. Secretariat Statements

i) Where all member states are agreed, the Secretariat may post a statement in any thread to provide an ‘official EU opinion’.
ii) All states which are participating in the EU bloc may still post their own statements in any thread.

8. Guidance Document Amendments

i) Any state of the EU bloc may suggest a Guidance Document Amendment by PM’ing the Secretariat with their Amendment and details of any Seconders. Three Seconders are required for an Amendment to be submitted.
ii) All states may vote on Guidance Document Amendments. The Secretariat will post a vote lasting 4 days detailing the Amendment. A 2/3 majority is required to pass the Amendment.
iii) The Amendment does not count towards the motion limit of one motion per day.

9. Election of the Secretariat/ EU rep

i) The EU rep/ Secretariat shall be elected from any of the 27 EU member states. Any EU member state representative is free to stand in this election.
ii) Any EU member state standing in the election must submit a manifesto to the Secretary General of the MUN (who will run all elections) of no more than 250 words as to why they personally are suited to the role of EU rep/ Secretariat.
iii) Only EU member states are eligible to vote in this election
iv) The timetable for electing the EU rep/ Secretariat is as below:
i) Day 0: Secretary General announces election
ii) Day 3: Deadline for manifestos being submitted. The Secretary General shall post all manifestos in an election thread and Q&A period opens.
iii) Day 6: Voting opens.
iv) Day 10: The candidate with 50% or more of the votes shall be elected EU rep and Secretariat of the bloc. If no candidate has 50% of the vote, then the lowest scoring candidate shall be eliminated and those who voted for the lowest scoring candidate have two days to change their vote. If, after two days, no candidate has 50% of the vote, then the above process will occur again until a candidate has 50% of the vote.
v) The Secretariat should face re-election using the above procedure every six months, but should still complete their other duties during the vote.

10. Vote of No Confidence in the Secretariat

i) Any EU member state may call a vote of no confidence in the Secretariat if seconded by two other member states. Only EU member states may vote on the motion.
ii) The process for holding a vote of no confidence is as follows:
i) Day 0: The Secretary General of the MUN shall post the motion of no confidence and begin a vote lasting four days.
ii) Day 4: If more than 50% of the member states vote for the motion, then the Secretariat will face a full election as detailed in section 9 of the Guidance Document. If less than 50% of the member states vote for the motion, then the Secretariat shall continue their duties.

This Guidance Document is not exhaustive, but may be useful in forming the EU bloc.

The first version:

Spoiler

toronto353
QFA

I'll quote everyone in Tommorow and will of course include this in my next update.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Spoiler

Apologies to anyone missed.

Thanks and all quoted in. This will need to be limited to the EU member states for voting though.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Will the European Union be allowed to vote on this Constitution because it directly effects us?
Original post by Morgsie
Will the European Union be allowed to vote on this Constitution because it directly effects us?

There is no precedent and since you would be neutral as Secretariat anyway, I'm not sure whether it would matter, but T_C will know

thunder_chunky

QFA
Reply 4
Croatia's Status? OOC: Croatia has signed the Accession Treaty which is currently being ratified by National Parliaments and Croatia is allowed to sit on EU meetings but has no voting rights.
Original post by Morgsie
Croatia's Status? OOC: Croatia has signed the Accession Treaty which is currently being ratified by National Parliaments and Croatia is allowed to sit on EU meetings but has no voting rights.

Croatia's membership is that of a candidate state. We would submit an Accession Treaty for all states and the MHoC to vote on before they became a member state.
Original post by toronto353

Apologies to anyone missed.

Thanks and all quoted in. This will need to be limited to the EU member states for voting though.

I will make it a public vote so I can see whose voted.

Original post by Morgsie

I understand why you think you should be allowed to vote but I'm afraid it doesn't change the fact that the EU is still an observer and therefore cannot vote. I will give this more thought but I'm afraid that at this time the answer is no.
In order for this to be more flexible, the MHoC suggests the name of Guidance Document of the EU Bloc allowing the Secretariat a more flexible approach when interpreting this document.
Reply 8
The European Union respects the decision and therefore urges ALL 27 Member States that are in the European Union and ALL 6 Candidate Countries to vote in favour this proposal.

OOC: the 6 Candidate Countries are: Croatia, FYR Macedonia, Iceland, Montenegro, Serbia and Turkey.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Morgsie
The European Union respects the decision and therefore urges ALL 27 Member States that are in the European Union and ALL 6 Candidate Countries to vote in favour this proposal.

OOC: the 6 Candidate Countries are: Croatia, FYR Macedonia, Iceland, Montenegro, Serbia and Turkey.

Turkey supports the proposal and will most definitively vote in its favor.
Original post by Akbar2k7
Turkey supports the proposal and will most definitively vote in its favor.

The MHoC welcomes Turkey's support and looks forward to voting on full membership of the EU for Turkey when it decides to apply for it.
Bulgaria concurs and will also be voting in favour of the proposals.
Reply 12
The Holy See welcomes any attempt at further European harmony, and encourages all eligible members to agree to this proposal.

Tuvalu concurs, and hopes for more European unity as a result of this.
(edited 11 years ago)
Switzerland encourages its European neighbours to vote on this resolution. Alas, we cannot vote but we encourage you too!
Although Iceland is still in the process of applying for EU membership we would still be in favour of this proposal as it lays down some very good and effective principles.
Original post by toronto353
QFA

[ooc] Is this ok to go to vote after it's been open for a week? (Which will be the 30th)
Reply 16
Original post by PierceBrosnan
Switzerland encourages its European neighbours to vote on this resolution. Alas, we cannot vote but we encourage you too!

Technically you could apply to join given that this TSR.

OOC: The Secretariat should be elected

OOC: Let me know when Spain or Germany needs a rep.
Reply 17
Original post by thunder_chunky
[ooc] Is this ok to go to vote after it's been open for a week? (Which will be the 30th)

OOC: I think the vote should be ASAP so the MHOC can ratify it in time for 9th May, Europe Day. (My opinion)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Rakas21
Technically you could apply to join given that this TSR.

OOC: The Secretariat should be elected

OOC: Let me know when Spain or Germany needs a rep.

OOC: The first President should be elected
Reply 19
No, i think that the Secretariat should be elected as well.

Greater democracy in my view is rarely a bad thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending