The Student Room Group

I have a desire to live like the olden days-Can this be possible?

I don't know what it is but there is this feeling inside of me that wants to live like the olden days. I am 22 but I keep thinking about how life was so simple years back. I watch shows like Little House, Waltons and these classic movies like Lassie and Grizzly Adams, shows that are loving and so sweet & it makes me smile and live a warming feeling in my heart wishing that I could be like Laura Ingalls lol.

Heck, I go blackberry picking always in the summer and collected a bucket load of berries, people stared at me but it gave me a sense of living in the wild and I have even tasted stinging nettles, dandelions. I have a mini pocket book on "Foods for Free" about how to forage in the wild.

I love taking walks in the wood. My dream house is simple, I want a little cottage in the middle of a beautiful landscape and to use wooden cutlery and eat simple foods.

I just want to know can I make it happen and is it strange for someone my age to want this, I mean most girls my age want a kind of life like this, Im also afraid that if I told people my dream they would think it is ridiculous & boring:frown: because that is what is stopping me from making this happen.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's not crazy at all. I wouldn't blame you for wanting to get away from all the technological troubles of the world. That lovely cottage you want might be quite expensive though.

Maybe you could try living with some Amish, I'm not really sure how you would though. :s-smilie:
There are various historical re-enactment societies - you could maybe look into that?

Voila: http://www.histrenact.co.uk/societies/mainpage.php
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
lol. You'd soon change your mind when you realise how cold and uncomfortable and boring life was back then.

Why don't you head out into the woods in the middle of January with just a few tools and see how long you last? I give you 3 hours.
What sort of century are you referring to? It's definitely possible to live a simpler life, but to 100% remove yourself from the 21st century lifestyle would be very difficult. I think your best bet would be to look into one of those societies mentioned above and find likeminded people to share tips and ideas with :smile:
Reply 5
Well Im afraid to tell people around me because they might think I have gone nuts & think it's a joke or that I am daydreaming when it's what I really want. My sister finds it boring to go on these nature walks and would rather go out with her friends like normal 19 years old do.

I can't find anyone that shares the same passion I do:frown:.

I so admire that simple way of living, . My inspiration comes from watching Little House on the Prarie and that era, such a sweet family and I so wished I had lived in that era. It's so breathtakingly beautiful when your walking out on a nice sunny day with not a building in site but a big landscape, it makes you think about what life is really about. But then I think about the obstacles like what about my career, or when one day in the future Im with a guy that finds this boring and does not want this kind of life?

I am just tired of seeing buildings, the busy life and I want to make this happen. I don't want a modern house, I want a old fashioned cute little cottage or bungalow lol or to live right in the middle of a National Park.

Most of the time here in London, it's just raining all the time and it's depressing:frown: can't wait for the summer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by DreamKitty
I don't know what it is but there is this feeling inside of me that wants to live like the olden days. I am 22 but I keep thinking about how life was so simple years back. I watch shows like Little House, Waltons and these classic movies like Lassie and Grizzly Adams, shows that are loving and so sweet & it makes me smile and live a warming feeling in my heart wishing that I could be like Laura Ingalls lol.

Heck, I go blackberry picking always in the summer and collected a bucket load of berries, people stared at me but it gave me a sense of living in the wild and I have even tasted stinging nettles, dandelions. I have a mini pocket book on "Foods for Free" about how to forage in the wild.

I love taking walks in the wood. My dream house is simple, I want a little cottage in the middle of a beautiful landscape and to use wooden cutlery and eat simple foods.

I just want to know can I make it happen and is it strange for someone my age to want this, I mean most girls my age want a kind of life like this, Im also afraid that if I told people my dream they would think it is ridiculous & boring:frown: because that is what is stopping me from making this happen.

that is a lovely ambition. it is probably easier to have that lifestyle in America where there is a strong tradition of self-reliance in the wilderness areas. in this country you would have social workers on your case before you could say "Ken Livingstone".

there is a really good book you might like to read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendon_Chase

:borat:
I love picking blackberries and elderflowers to make cordial and apple pies.

I'd love to grow my own food and live in a pretty cottage but I'd miss technology too. I think a mix of both is ok though.
Oh you're a Londoner? I completely understand. This city can be great but most of the time I lust over travel magazines and brochures to escape it.
Reply 9
Yeah, it's possible. There's a really good episode of Grand Designs where a guy built a wooden house in the middle of the forest, using traditional building methods, and it was completely self-sufficient. Also, read something like Walden by Henry David Thoreau.

Personally, though, I don't think the answer to the stresses of modern life is to retreat into an idealised, never-actually-happened idea of the past. I think it's better to use modern life and technologies to build a better future, but that's just my two cents.
79299.image0.jpg
Sounds like you know what you want but are too scared of what other people might think of you for doing it. Do what makes you happy, no-one else's opinion matters :smile: Good luck.
Reply 12
Your dream isn't ridiculous and boring, but depending on how far you want to go, it can be unrealistic. For example, its ok to do some things simply, such as you mention the walks in the woods, but in this society, a lot of things require you to use technology. You mentioned you only wanted to eat simple foods, but what exactly do you mean here? If you mean simple by merely fruits and vegetables, then do remember that these are very hard to find when they're not in season, unless, that is if you're prepared to take the trek to the local supermarket, which is really against the point of living the simple life.

I think you could easily live simply in moderation. Have your cottage, and your simple foods. You don't necessarily need a television, or internet, but a phone, if only for emergency would been a good thing. You would need to travel further a field, every now and then. And, if I were you I'd invest in central heating. But theres no saying you can't do it!

However, I think a lot of this might be to do with the fact that you're a Londoner, and have been brought up in the city all your life. The grass is always greener on the other side. I'd seriously think about this, before you made the leap. Give it a try for a few weeks, before you make the move permanent. Because, it may not really be all its made out to be. For example, a friend of the family, after living in the city for all their working career, decided to take early retirement up in the Dales. They hated it, the locals didn't adjust to them, and they miles from anywhere. The same family moved to Oxfordshire after just under a year, where they could enjoy both the perks of the countryside, and yet still be close to the city itself.
There was a story in the paper not so long ago (this year) about an old man who inherited his house from his parents and he lived there alone all his life - everything was old fashioned. It was like going back in time - there were talks about preserving the house as it was. I cannot for the life of my remember which paper it was in though! So yeah, people do that sort of thing.
Reply 14
Heck, I go blackberry picking always in the summer

I think a lot of youths in London did last summer.
Reply 15

Sounds lovely. :yy:
Reply 16
First you'll have to invent a time machine.

The rest is history.
You should buy a DeLorean; for about 20k your dream will come true.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/111/
Original post by I<3LAMP
I love picking blackberries and elderflowers to make cordial and apple pies.

You make apple pies without apples!?!??

What black magic is this!!! :mob:
Reply 19

This is an awesome dream! Can i join you :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending