The Student Room Group

How do I get a job with no experience?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You could try to get in contact with the company or whoever cleans at your college. That's how I got my first job, and they took on mainly students.
Being a cleaner is not actually a bad job.
The pay is usually around the same for shop jobs, it's convenient, being straight after school and therefore having no real travel time. I ended up just working with my friends and making about £50 a week, which isn't bad at all :wink:
Original post by MrHappy_J
It's probably just your area then, certainly in my area it's difficult to find charity work let alone an actual paid job.

An unless i'm very much mistaken they don't just "welcome you with open arms". There are forms to fill and references to give before they will accept you, just like any other job.

see if there is a volunteer centre near your area, they should help you sort volunteering out as i had also had trouble getting people to accept me for charity shops at first whilst the volunteer centre got in contact with volunteers for me :wink:
Reply 22
Bit harsh. Catch 22 is a problem for a lot of young people.

Op you're only 17 so it's understandable that you havent got experience. I have it much worse, I'm 20 and still haven't been in paid employment in any shape or form.

Maybe it is harsh but it's reality. If you want a job you can't just sit around complaining about how other people have had more opportunities than you. You can do something about it by getting some experience and impressing them.
Original post by jennifex
Maybe it is harsh but it's reality. If you want a job you can't just sit around complaining about how other people have had more opportunities than you. You can do something about it by getting some experience and impressing them.

You cant get experience if no one will employ you in the first place, which is what the op is really complaining about, not that his friends have better opportunities than him.
I got my part time job because I'd done some volunteering with a charity and I knew someone who worked there.

I know it sounds silly but when you're handing out CVs print them on coloured paper, they stand out more so you're more likely to receive attention from potential employers, I got quite a few call backs that way.
Reply 25
You cant get experience if no one will employ you in the first place, which is what the op is really complaining about, not that his friends have better opportunities than him.

You can always get unpaid experience in a charity shop or doing any kind of voluntary work. There's no excuse for having NOTHING on your CV when there are so many charities and organisations crying out for help.
You can always get unpaid experience in a charity shop or doing any kind of voluntary work. There's no excuse for having NOTHING on your CV when there are so many charities and organisations crying out for help.

crying out for help lol...:rolleyes:
Reply 27
crying out for help lol...:rolleyes:

You saying it's difficult to find voluntary work?
You saying it's difficult to find voluntary work?

yeah i am.
Reply 29
yeah i am.

Lol what planet are you on? Have you ever tried? There are opportunities to volunteer all over the place. I'm not just talking about charity shops. You can volunteer with charities, children, disabled adults, the elderly, the environment. Sorry but I still think there is no excuse for having nothing on your CV, I'm not surprised that you are 20 and have never been in employment.
Reply 30
Some businesses are able to take you on for work experience placements if you phone them up and ask. When I was at school we all had to go and do a week of work experience and there were lots of different places accepting students. Try and get a placement with a big company like Boots or John Lewis/Waitrose because it will stand out on your CV if you've worked somewhere that everybody has heard of.

Also if you think you might want a job in a specific sector, such as retail or hospitality, try and get a relevant placement in one of those fields. That will also look really good when you come to apply for paid work.

As far as your other job applications, have you called them back and asked for feedback? Most places will give you feedback on your application if you ask for it. If you didn't get the job, it's good to know where you went wrong so you can not make the same mistake twice.

Good luck and I hope you find something soon. :smile:
Lol what planet are you on? Have you ever tried? There are opportunities to volunteer all over the place. I'm not just talking about charity shops. You can volunteer with charities, children, disabled adults, the elderly, the environment. Sorry but I still think there is no excuse for having nothing on your CV, I'm not surprised that you are 20 and have never been in employment.

Uh yeah of course I've tried, I don't pluck out stuff like that out of thin air. It's a bit silly of you to make assumptions about my life when you dont even know me tbh.
Reply 32
Uh yeah of course I've tried, I don't pluck out stuff like that out of thin air. It's a bit silly of you to make assumptions about my life when you dont even know me tbh.

What assumption did I make? Having done a lot of voluntary work myself around the country I just find it extremely difficult to believe you've tried to find voluntary work and failed. A quick search reveals almost 3000 volunteering opportunities within 5 miles of London, and that's just one website. I don't live near London but if I look at my area (fairly quiet suburb not near a big city) I come up with over 300 opportunities within 5 miles, varying from environmental work to working with children to charity shops.

I just don't understand why you are struggling to find voluntary work :s-smilie:
The best 3 idea's are these:

1) Get work experience, since this will give you more of a chance when they see it on your CV/application.

2) Work as the sign-holder for subway.

3) Set up your own business.
What assumption did I make? Having done a lot of voluntary work myself around the country I just find it extremely difficult to believe you've tried to find voluntary work and failed. A quick search reveals almost 3000 volunteering opportunities within 5 miles of London, and that's just one website. I don't live near London but if I look at my area (fairly quiet suburb not near a big city) I come up with over 300 opportunities within 5 miles, varying from environmental work to working with children to charity shops.

I just don't understand why you are struggling to find voluntary work :s-smilie:

You said "no wonder you haven't got a job at 20" which smacks of stupidity not to mention rudenesss.
anyway this thread is not about me.
30 applications isn't very many at all. I applied to ~150 in the space of three weeks before I got my first proper job, bearing in mind that I did have some (but really very minimal) experience in the same sector.

Keep applying, and don't just apply for advertised jobs, apply speculatively too, and then ring up and ask them a week or two later about the progress of your application.
Reply 36
You said "no wonder you haven't got a job at 20" which smacks of stupidity not to mention rudenesss.
anyway this thread is not about me.

Hey you said it, not me! It is a fact that you're 20 and haven't been in paid employment. From what you're conveying on this forum your attitude kind of sucks, so if you are anything like that in real life then it is no wonder you haven't had a job. Why does it "smack of stupidity" for someone to put together no experience + appears to have no real drive to get experience = no surprise they haven't had a job? That is the way you have portrayed yourself.

If you would like to say otherwise or are withholding some sort of massive extenuating circumstance then fair enough. People will obviously judge you from what you post here because there is no other information to go on.

I don't understand why everyone feels like society owes them something. Jobs don't find you, you find them. People with the drive and ambition to make something of themselves will do so. People who sit around complaining and blaming their lack of employment on anything other than themselves are free to do so, but until they address the true cause of their problems nothing will change.

I applied for 23 different charities (and multiple positions in those charities) independently and got turned down for all of them. The college applied for me to go to 3 of them (2 of which I'd applied for and been rejected for and 1 which I hadn't because It's impossible for me to get to their office) and all 3 wanted me. I'd say without this college course (which isn't an option for everyone) I'd have a fairly good excuse :tongue:.

edit

I know that isn't a lot but even to get to some of those it meant 5 miles of walking + a bus ride each way.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey you said it, not me! It is a fact that you're 20 and haven't been in paid employment. From what you're conveying on this forum your attitude kind of sucks, so if you are anything like that in real life then it is no wonder you haven't had a job. Why does it "smack of stupidity" for someone to put together no experience + appears to have no real drive to get experience = no surprise they haven't had a job? That is the way you have portrayed yourself.

If you would like to say otherwise or are withholding some sort of massive extenuating circumstance then fair enough. People will obviously judge you from what you post here because there is no other information to go on.

I don't understand why everyone feels like society owes them something. Jobs don't find you, you find them. People with the drive and ambition to make something of themselves will do so. People who sit around complaining and blaming their lack of employment on anything other than themselves are free to do so, but until they address the true cause of their problems nothing will change.

I dont think society owes me anything, I just dont think finding voluntary work is as easy as you make it seem. Even if there are thousands of voluntary jobs out there, you have to have particular traits and particular experience to get them. Curtis871's post speaks for itself really.

Oh and also: there's something called an economic crisis going on, in case you didn't realise.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
Here's the thing. If you walk around saying to people "Please can I work for you for free", it's not going to take long for someone to snap you up. Even if you have no experience. Even in an economic crisis. Sorry but you will not change my mind...
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending