The Student Room Group

Med school interview courses

Has anyone been on one of these? Did you find it useful at all?
Reply 1
I went on an ISC medical course, expensive but very useful, I managed to get 4 offers.

It was great mainly for improving my confidence and for giving easy to digest info about the structure of the NHS etc. and tons of practice questions (which admittedly you could get from a book off amazon). They give you tips about how to presents your answers and a bit of reassurance. As bad as it sounds it was great to meet people who were even more nervous than me!

If you've got the money and the time, definitely go for it.

EDIT: I just saw that you're a reapplicant, definitely do it, with a full time job it's certainly affordable. Did you get interviews in your first application? I met lots of reapplicants on my course.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Sherbet
I went on an ISC medical course, expensive but very useful, I managed to get 4 offers.

It was great mainly for improving my confidence and for giving easy to digest info about the structure of the NHS etc. and tons of practice questions (which admittedly you could get from a book off amazon). They give you tips about how to presents your answers and a bit of reassurance. As bad as it sounds it was great to meet people who were even more nervous than me!

If you've got the money and the time, definitely go for it.

EDIT: I just saw that you're a reapplicant, definitely do it, with a full time job it's certainly affordable. Did you get interviews in your first application? I met lots of reapplicants on my course.

I think I agree with this mostly, but you don't want to go into it assuming that they will give you all the information you need - thats the wrong attitude. What it should really be about is clarifying stuff you have already researched - especially as the ISC medical interview book does give you all the same information they did, it was just a chance to discuss certain topics, and ask questions about things.

The main thing for me again was confidence - I didn't have any interviews at all the first time round, and I wanted to make sure there was nothing more I could do to improve my applications this year. So I felt that I needed basically mock interviews, and a chance to just practise talking about myself (I really struggle with bigging myself up - so much so one of the interviewers at one of my interviews actually commented on it) which that gave me.

If you have the oppurtunity to do a few mock interviews, and you have a couple of friends to chat to about how to phrase stuff and giving balanced opinions, and you have the book, and you are fairly confident talking about yourself, I wouldn't recommend it. Whereas if you are lacking maybe two of those, its worth it. Basically my point is, they don't tell you how to be good at interview (at least, not any more than the book does) its just a chance to do it for real rather than sit in your room talking to yourself as practise answers.
Original post by twelve
I think I agree with this mostly, but you don't want to go into it assuming that they will give you all the information you need - thats the wrong attitude. What it should really be about is clarifying stuff you have already researched - especially as the ISC medical interview book does give you all the same information they did, it was just a chance to discuss certain topics, and ask questions about things.

The main thing for me again was confidence - I didn't have any interviews at all the first time round, and I wanted to make sure there was nothing more I could do to improve my applications this year. So I felt that I needed basically mock interviews, and a chance to just practise talking about myself (I really struggle with bigging myself up - so much so one of the interviewers at one of my interviews actually commented on it) which that gave me.

If you have the oppurtunity to do a few mock interviews, and you have a couple of friends to chat to about how to phrase stuff and giving balanced opinions, and you have the book, and you are fairly confident talking about yourself, I wouldn't recommend it. Whereas if you are lacking maybe two of those, its worth it. Basically my point is, they don't tell you how to be good at interview (at least, not any more than the book does) its just a chance to do it for real rather than sit in your room talking to yourself as practise answers.

Another key point to make is that people learn in different ways. Some people are happy to prepare from books, others find it easier to hear things or talk things through.

Some people go to a course to get a feel of what they need to prepare, others use it to refine issues they have already prepared.

Some people go to group courses because they prefer "safety in numbers", others prefer to do one-to-one practice.

So the main thing is that you know what suits you. Some people will find courses beneficial and others won't.
Reply 4
Original post by twelve

Yeah definitely the practice is useful, but after you do a course make sure that you take every opportunity to practice questions with whoever will put up with your ramblings. It's lots easier when articulating answers about your experiences quickly is something that you've done many times before. I did feel though that they said a lot about what makes a good candidate at interview e.g. body language, dress etc. but it's up to you if you take it on board and make the most of the experience.

Yeah I get that obviously you should have background knowledge as an applicant anyway, it was just good to talk to a real doctor about the latest medical news. And in the booklet I got it had some good info about the career progression, simple to understand :smile:, it just felt nice to have some more material, and I saw some people at my interview with the same book and booklet so I think it's a pretty popular course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending