The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get into dentistry

I've seena million and one threads talking about medicine but hardly any for dentistry

so if we're talking about an

mediocre,middle tier and high dentistry school how hard is it to get into

thanks in advance
Reply 1
All dental schools are really competitive, and generally considered quite hard to get into. But if you have the right qualities, and do well in the interview it is achievable. The problem is many well suited candidates apply and there aren't enough places so there is always some luck involved.
Reply 2
In comparison to medicine is it harder or ....
Reply 3
Ummm, I wouldn't know about medicine, I think the applicants:tongue:laces ratios are quite similar. Medics tend to say medicine is harder and dentists say dentistry, which makes me think they are probably very similar. Ask a max fax surgeon who has done both! Are you thinking of applying to one of them?
Original post by diggy
In comparison to medicine is it harder or ....

Unless you've done both, how would you know?
Reply 5
Well I was looking for an indepth analysis as i heard lots about medicine but none about dentistry

You'd do well to answer the question darling
Original post by diggy
Well I was looking for an indepth analysis as i heard lots about medicine but none about dentistry

You'd do well to answer the question darling

Babe you'd do well do be pro-actice, you can find out how hard it is to get in by looking at previous statistics i.e. application numbers : amount of places.

There's not much analysis on Dentistry because the standard required is pretty much the same for all schools in terms of academia.

Also, there is no high, middle and low tier. You use your strengths and apply to the schools which will make you a strong candidate e.g. there's no point in applying to Leeds if you only have 2 weeks general experience, or applying to Sheffield if your UKCAT is 610 ... whereas if you had high GCSEs and a UKCAT of 670+ then you have a high chance of a KCL interview.

Hope this helps love.
Reply 7
Yeah using tiers wasn't a good idea,see isn't that a better response :smile:

Thank you
I would say that on average, you have about 1000-1500 applicants for 80 dentistry places whereas for medicine you have about 3000 applicants for 350 places, so the ratio is slightly smaller for dentistry but there are about twice as many applicants. Ignoring ratios I would say they are equally hard, have similar admissions processes and grades.
Original post by IgglePiggle.
Unless you've done both, how would you know?

Dentistry is definitely harder and i've done both.
Reply 10
Original post by diggy
I've seena million and one threads talking about medicine but hardly any for dentistry

so if we're talking about an

mediocre,middle tier and high dentistry school how hard is it to get into

thanks in advance

Well it isn't really for me to say which is harder. (Obviously dentistry is :wink: hehe)
But seriously, fto all intents and purposes it is at least as difficult as medicine. Some people seem to have a preconception that dentistry is somehow inferior or easier to get into that medicine. These people usually experience a nasty shock when they do apply.

And really, all the dental schools are pretty much on an even keel. However, having said that, if i had to pick which school i thought were the most competative in terms of applicants:tongue:laces ratio. I think you're probably looking at Leeds, Kings, Newcastle, Barts and Liverpool as being the highest. With universitys like Queens Belfast, Glasgow, Dundee and Cardiff being slightly lower. This isn't really scientific, It's just the general feeling i've picked up from being around here for 2 years. Alot of people will be supprised that i haven't mentioned Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol or Sheffield. Those 4 i would say are on the higher side of applications.

As for which is easier to get into. The entry requirements as far as A levels are all the same it's AAA across the board so thats simple. However, som uni's place certain requirements on the 4th/5th/6th AS (depending on your level of geekyness) In terms of GCSEs most generally require A-B in all of the core subjects. Science, Maths and English. However, Leeds are notable for their low GCSE requirements and Birmingham and Sheffield are notable for being very keen on good GCSEs. So it's an idea to bear that in mind when applying.

As for the UKCAT. Most universities ask for it. With Leeds, Liverpool, Birmingham and Bristol being the exceptions. Among the universities that ask for it. Sheffield, Kings, Newcastle and Barts are reputably the most strict. With these uni's usually operating a cut off score. Which is usually around the low to medium 600's. However, alot of the applicants to these unis seem to score towards to the high 600's / low to mid 700's. Also bear in mind that a low score can be boosted by good GCSEs and vice versa. A combination of Good GCSEs and UKCAT can prove a very powefull asset in applications to these universities. The other "UKCAT unis" use the UKCAT more as an accessory to the application process (this is to the best of my knowledge). For example manchester are known to use the UKCAT mainly when deciding between borderline applicants.

All universities are keen on extra curricular activities and work experience. The more varied the better. However, Leeds has developed a repuation for being especially interested in this part of your application.

Barts is an odd one out in terms of how they analyse your application. This year they have ranked applicants using UCAS tariff, in combination with the rest of your application. Each applicant is scored and then the top 'x' number of candidates from the list are invited for interview.

At the interviews you can expect many varied methods and techniques. Some unis will field a panal of 2 and some a panal of 3. Never usually more or less than this, and there is always usually a senior student present. This year has brought with it the advent of the MMI or Multiple Mini Interview. As of 2012 to the best of my knowledge there are 3 universities that are using these. Bristol, Cardiff and Kings. There may be more that i have neglected to mention, if anyone knows please say. At these interviews you ill be tested in a number of different ways, practically, verbally and mentally. Some people excell others....ummm don't. Among the othr uninversities there is a wide variety of interview process. Some require you to have group interviews (manchester) some require to to watch, and discuss a video (barts). Either way you need to go into the interview, confident and knowing your facts. Also...make sure that you prepare the obvious questions like "why dentistry" and try to be at least a little bit original...after all if they remember you it could be the difference between an offer and a "we regret to inform you".

There is more i could write...but then it would be pointless me writing my admission guide. And this should be plenty for you to be getting on with. Hope i've helped set you on the right track...or at leat give you something to think about!

Best of luck.
Ik this was 2 years ago but just want to say thank you for putting this up...im applying this October and its helped me :smile:

Original post by Kartace
Well it isn't really for me to say which is harder. (Obviously dentistry is :wink: hehe)
But seriously, fto all intents and purposes it is at least as difficult as medicine. Some people seem to have a preconception that dentistry is somehow inferior or easier to get into that medicine. These people usually experience a nasty shock when they do apply.

And really, all the dental schools are pretty much on an even keel. However, having said that, if i had to pick which school i thought were the most competative in terms of applicants:tongue:laces ratio. I think you're probably looking at Leeds, Kings, Newcastle, Barts and Liverpool as being the highest. With universitys like Queens Belfast, Glasgow, Dundee and Cardiff being slightly lower. This isn't really scientific, It's just the general feeling i've picked up from being around here for 2 years. Alot of people will be supprised that i haven't mentioned Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol or Sheffield. Those 4 i would say are on the higher side of applications.

As for which is easier to get into. The entry requirements as far as A levels are all the same it's AAA across the board so thats simple. However, som uni's place certain requirements on the 4th/5th/6th AS (depending on your level of geekyness) In terms of GCSEs most generally require A-B in all of the core subjects. Science, Maths and English. However, Leeds are notable for their low GCSE requirements and Birmingham and Sheffield are notable for being very keen on good GCSEs. So it's an idea to bear that in mind when applying.

As for the UKCAT. Most universities ask for it. With Leeds, Liverpool, Birmingham and Bristol being the exceptions. Among the universities that ask for it. Sheffield, Kings, Newcastle and Barts are reputably the most strict. With these uni's usually operating a cut off score. Which is usually around the low to medium 600's. However, alot of the applicants to these unis seem to score towards to the high 600's / low to mid 700's. Also bear in mind that a low score can be boosted by good GCSEs and vice versa. A combination of Good GCSEs and UKCAT can prove a very powefull asset in applications to these universities. The other "UKCAT unis" use the UKCAT more as an accessory to the application process (this is to the best of my knowledge). For example manchester are known to use the UKCAT mainly when deciding between borderline applicants.

All universities are keen on extra curricular activities and work experience. The more varied the better. However, Leeds has developed a repuation for being especially interested in this part of your application.

Barts is an odd one out in terms of how they analyse your application. This year they have ranked applicants using UCAS tariff, in combination with the rest of your application. Each applicant is scored and then the top 'x' number of candidates from the list are invited for interview.

At the interviews you can expect many varied methods and techniques. Some unis will field a panal of 2 and some a panal of 3. Never usually more or less than this, and there is always usually a senior student present. This year has brought with it the advent of the MMI or Multiple Mini Interview. As of 2012 to the best of my knowledge there are 3 universities that are using these. Bristol, Cardiff and Kings. There may be more that i have neglected to mention, if anyone knows please say. At these interviews you ill be tested in a number of different ways, practically, verbally and mentally. Some people excell others....ummm don't. Among the othr uninversities there is a wide variety of interview process. Some require you to have group interviews (manchester) some require to to watch, and discuss a video (barts). Either way you need to go into the interview, confident and knowing your facts. Also...make sure that you prepare the obvious questions like "why dentistry" and try to be at least a little bit original...after all if they remember you it could be the difference between an offer and a "we regret to inform you".

There is more i could write...but then it would be pointless me writing my admission guide. And this should be plenty for you to be getting on with. Hope i've helped set you on the right track...or at leat give you something to think about!

Best of luck.
POSTER DentPrep.jpg

1 WEEK LEFT & 2 WEEKS LEFT :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Hey guys by names Abdul a 4th year dental student at Cardiff and I will be presenting a slot in this massive event, the course is taking place in Cardiff University on 6th June 2015 and Birmingham on 13th June! If you have any questions please feel free to message me :biggrin: dont miss out on:

1. Detailed Personal statement secrets and inspirational tips- we will be dissecting real examples of outstanding Personal statements that shine to the reader from between the 60 personal statements being read a day by tutors.
2. UKCAT gems and profound guidelines for achieving extraordinary scores on all sections.
3. Interview training and strategies to help you get ahead of the competition. We will be going through so many MMI interview station questions that have been used in the last 4 years!
4. Hidden secrets of each and every single individual university- each university preference will be explained and their procedure for accepting students.
5. Gaining a competitive advantage and a winning edge to impress
6. Profound entry hints, tips & tricks
7. Expert Q&A

Book your ticket quick as its first come first serve!
REGISTER AT: dent-prep.eventbrite.co.uk
facebook: facebook.com/uniDentPrep
Twitter hashtag: #DentPrep
Email: [email protected]
DentPrep is a unique organisation equipping you with profound skills to obtain a place at dental school.
Original post by amohamed146
POSTER DentPrep.jpg

1 WEEK LEFT & 2 WEEKS LEFT :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Hey guys by names Abdul a 4th year dental student at Cardiff and I will be presenting a slot in this massive event, the course is taking place in Cardiff University on 6th June 2015 and Birmingham on 13th June! If you have any questions please feel free to message me :biggrin: dont miss out on:

1. Detailed Personal statement secrets and inspirational tips- we will be dissecting real examples of outstanding Personal statements that shine to the reader from between the 60 personal statements being read a day by tutors.
2. UKCAT gems and profound guidelines for achieving extraordinary scores on all sections.
3. Interview training and strategies to help you get ahead of the competition. We will be going through so many MMI interview station questions that have been used in the last 4 years!
4. Hidden secrets of each and every single individual university- each university preference will be explained and their procedure for accepting students.
5. Gaining a competitive advantage and a winning edge to impress
6. Profound entry hints, tips & tricks
7. Expert Q&A

Book your ticket quick as its first come first serve!
REGISTER AT: dent-prep.eventbrite.co.uk
facebook: facebook.com/uniDentPrep
Twitter hashtag: #DentPrep
Email: [email protected]
DentPrep is a unique organisation equipping you with profound skills to obtain a place at dental school.

How many times do you want to use the word "profound" mate? Sounds a bit ungainly when used in that context...
Original post by Kartace
How many times do you want to use the word "profound" mate? Sounds a bit ungainly when used in that context...

Yeah ahaahahah. Claims to be a dentist, sounds like a moron!
Reply 15
I feel that dentistry is easier to get into. I came out of AS with AABB and ended up getting an offer from a dental university. I didn't even want to apply to uni that year because most uni's were looking for AAAB at AS, but I decided to give it a shot and got an offer. Most of the other interviewees at the time of my interview had AAAB or better, but my interview went really well, so I guess as long as the grades are within a certain parameter, and you excel at interviews, you have a shot of getting an offer. Of course this isn't always the case but I feel that If I applied to medicine with AABB I wouldn't be considered due to the sheer number of people applying, most of whom would have had better grades.

Another thing to note is that on average, the UKCAT cut-offs for dentistry is lower than medicine, for uni's that offer both courses. Albeit it isn't a massive change but this might suggest dentistry being easier than medicine.

However, the preparation you need to put in into finding good placements, polishing your interview technique and developing your knowledge of the field should all be the same regardless of which course it is.
(edited 9 years ago)
Please read this reply to the end. Urgh. You can’t compare from a max fax angle. (Let’s clear this silly comparison up first). If you are doing max fax you’re applying for your second qualification already having one in your pocket and (plus it’s very likely you’ll have fellowship too). So that’s not the same as somebody leaving school with A levels. Not a valid comparison in the least (applications wise). As for trying to compare difficulty of courses - if it’s going to be impossible to compare unless you’ve a time machine and can go back to being 18 and do them from scratch with exactly matching universities, qualities of staff, group of friends and luck. So let’s be reasonable. I recently returned after 33 years to my dental/medical school and was horrified by how hard it is to get in. Now let’s make this clear. Being super academic has absolutely nothing to do with being a good dentist/doctor. The best ones are compassionate and need a good level of dexterity. If your thinking dentistry or becoming a surgeon then the dexterity is more important. However being talented with your hands without compassion or good treatment planning skills means you’re probably dangerous. Basically - don’t think it’s about applications or which is harder. Have a good think about if you really want to do the job. Then accept the fact that it’s very competitive and sadly because of young people being pushed often by parents into a job they think holds prestige. Or by bright people who didn’t realise what the job really was going to be like and end up miserable. The application process is flawed and because of the nature of the job(s) it’s never going to be perfect. If I could do it again - I probably would because I’ve been lucky to have been surrounded but amazing teachers and later on patients and staff. However - I wouldn’t get in today. Not even close. Which is sad. So if you’re dedicated but don’t get a place - Dont be hard on yourself !It’s simply a popular course(s) to apply for. You could have potentially been brilliant at the job. Go and chat at length to as many dentists /doctors as you can.Then see if it’s for you !!!!!!!!! Forget all this which is hardest nonsense. And ...... ‘If’ it is, study hard at school so we get (at the least) a rounded excellent health professional. Good luck.
Please read this reply to the end. Urgh. You can’t compare from a max fax angle. (Let’s clear this silly comparison up first). If you are doing max fax you’re applying for your second qualification already having one in your pocket and (plus it’s very likely you’ll have fellowship too). So that’s not the same as somebody leaving school with A levels. Not a valid comparison in the least (applications wise). As for trying to compare difficulty of courses - if it’s going to be impossible to compare unless you’ve a time machine and can go back to being 18 and do them from scratch with exactly matching universities, qualities of staff, group of friends and luck. So let’s be reasonable. I recently returned after 33 years to my dental/medical school and was horrified by how hard it is to get in. Now let’s make this clear. Being super academic has absolutely nothing to do with being a good dentist/doctor. The best ones are compassionate and need a good level of dexterity. If your thinking dentistry or becoming a surgeon then the dexterity is more important. However being talented with your hands without compassion or good treatment planning skills means you’re probably dangerous. Basically - don’t think it’s about applications or which is harder. Have a good think about if you really want to do the job. Then accept the fact that it’s very competitive and sadly because of young people being pushed often by parents into a job they think holds prestige. Or by bright people who didn’t realise what the job really was going to be like and end up miserable. The application process is flawed and because of the nature of the job(s) it’s never going to be perfect. If I could do it again - I probably would because I’ve been lucky to have been surrounded but amazing teachers and later on patients and staff. However - I wouldn’t get in today. Not even close. Which is sad. So if you’re dedicated but don’t get a place - Dont be hard on yourself !It’s simply a popular course(s) to apply for. You could have potentially been brilliant at the job. Go and chat at length to as many dentists /doctors as you can.Then see if it’s for you !!!!!!!!! Forget all this which is hardest nonsense. And ...... ‘If’ it is, study hard at school so we get (at the least) a rounded excellent health professional. Good luck.

Quick Reply