The Student Room Group

Should the UKCAT be abolished?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .eXe
In medicine prestige is a moot point.

Completely. Many prestigious universities run more old-school courses with huge amounts of science which I find odd. Surely they would want to innovate with more modern teaching strategies and place more of a focus on clinical skills to make you a better doctor rather than a scientist...
Reply 81
Original post by Happydude
Completely. Many prestigious universities run more old-school courses with huge amounts of science which I find odd. Surely they would want to innovate with more modern teaching strategies and place more of a focus on clinical skills to make you a better doctor rather than a scientist...

Perhaps they're trying to produce doctors with a solid grounding in basic science and clinical skills. What if the 'innovative', 'modern' schools have sacrificed basic science without significantly improving the clinical skills side?

Doctors need to be good communicators, need to be comfortable around people, need to have good clinical skills, etc., but I also think they need to understand what it means to be involved in science.
Reply 82
Personally I think that the UKCAT favours people who are naturally clever, but not the people who have worked really hard to even consider doing medicine or dentistry. I don't see how being able to spot a pattern between some dots and triangles in 5 seconds would make you a better doctor?
Original post by Kinkerz
Perhaps they're trying to produce doctors with a solid grounding in basic science and clinical skills. What if the 'innovative', 'modern' schools have sacrificed basic science without significantly improving the clinical skills side?

Doctors need to be good communicators, need to be comfortable around people, need to have good clinical skills, etc., but I also think they need to understand what it means to be involved in science.

I understand where you are coming from but I think doing three straight years of study with minimal/no patient contact is ridiculous.

"Practising" for the UKCAT is different from typical revision. With revision you memorise facts whereas practising for the UKCAT is about figuring out how to the answer the questions which is slightly different.

Yeah, I know that, your first post just wasn't very clear, I thought you were suggesting that someone could actually study for the UKCAT by the way you phrased it. BMAT is definitely more about knowing stuff and applying it.

I really have no idea for an alternative, just saying that as someone who has done it and only got the score I got through luck in the abstract reasoning that it is flawed.

600 isn't a particularly good score though, it wouldn't be within most universities' cut off points, would it? I would understand your point if you got 720 or something just by guessing the answers but I don't think 600 would make you stand out in any way. :confused:
Reply 85
I understand where you are coming from but I think doing three straight years of study with minimal/no patient contact is ridiculous.

There is a balance to be made and I'm not sure the modern, supposedly innovative, schools have got it quite right.
Original post by Millyshyn
Yeah, I know that, your first post just wasn't very clear, I thought you were suggesting that someone could actually study for the UKCAT by the way you phrased it. BMAT is definitely more about knowing stuff and applying it.

600 isn't a particularly good score though, it wouldn't be within most universities' cut off points, would it? I would understand your point if you got 720 or something just by guessing the answers but I don't think 600 would make you stand out in any way. :confused:

My average was 700, but in specifically the abstract reasoning I got 600. I just got a lot higher in every other area.
Original post by Kinkerz
There is a balance to be made and I'm not sure the modern, supposedly innovative, schools have got it quite right.

I don't want to big up the school I'm going to, but I do feel Dundee have got it the right idea. I don't think you can ever have a perfect balance though. Right now, Glasgow's course is a shambles due to their PBL fetish. I suppose I picked Dundee because they have patient contact from week one, which is something I'm keen on! I don't plan on doing much scientific research in the future though, so I guess it does suit me. Perhaps the more science-based unis lend themselves to those who want to do research, but why didn't they just study biomedical sciences instead?
Reply 88
I don't want to big up the school I'm going to, but I do feel Dundee have got it the right idea. I don't think you can ever have a perfect balance though. Right now, Glasgow's course is a shambles due to their PBL fetish. I suppose I picked Dundee because they have patient contact from week one, which is something I'm keen on!

To bring you down to earth a bit: that's fairly pointless and most people in your year will grow to resent it after a short while and a few dull placements acting as little more than human clutter :wink:

I don't plan on doing much scientific research in the future though, so I guess it does suit me. Perhaps the more science-based unis lend themselves to those who want to do research, but why didn't they just study biomedical sciences instead?

To fuse the two and be doctors involved in academia? Not very easy to combine lab-based research with clinical practice, but people do it. If not, there are other ways to incorporate research into medicine.

If you're completely averse to research, getting to consultancy in our generation probably won't be very easy.
Original post by Kinkerz
To bring you down to earth a bit: that's fairly pointless and most people in your year will grow to resent it after a short while and a few dull placements acting as little more than human clutter :wink:

One guy I did work experience went there and said it helped him a lot. He said often when on night shift he'd be the only junior with a good idea of what to do when someone collapsed or their condition suddenly worsened because of the amount of clinical training he'd done.

Original post by Kinkerz
If you're completely averse to research, getting to consultancy in our generation probably won't be very easy.

Right now, I'm not too bothered by that. I'd like to work in A&E doing everything hands-on. Perhaps my mind will change when the ridiculously high top bands of NHS pay are under my nostrils.
Reply 90
One guy I did work experience went there and said it helped him a lot. He said often when on night shift he'd be the only junior with a good idea of what to do when someone collapsed or their condition suddenly worsened because of the amount of clinical training he'd done.

As a first year medical student?
Original post by Kinkerz
As a first year medical student?

As an FY1/2.

Right now, I'm not too bothered by that. I'd like to work in A&E doing everything hands-on. Perhaps my mind will change when the ridiculously high top bands of NHS pay are under my nostrils.

Still lots of possibilities for research:

http://emj.bmj.com/
http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/525473/description#description
Reply 93
As an FY1/2.

Ah, yes. I'm sure standing in the corner as a first year student was a critical part of him being so adept :wink:
I got 707.5 on the UKCAT and i will happily say it's a bull**** test. The schools need to cut down applicants somehow though, and a glorified IQ test is a relatively easy and cheap way to do it.

Interviewing everyone would of course be the best way of doing things, but it's totally impractical.
Original post by Kinkerz
Ah, yes. I'm sure standing in the corner as a first year student was a critical part of him being so adept :wink:

Look, I don't know why you're so intent on trying to convince me he was lying. Why would he? Also, after watching that BBC junior doctors it seems like even in FY1 and 2 you have some big responsibilities on wards.

Thanks, these are really interesting!
Reply 97
Look, I don't know why you're so intent on trying to convince me he was lying. Why would he? Also, after watching that BBC junior doctors it seems like even in FY1 and 2 you have some big responsibilities on wards.

I'm not trying to say he was lying at all. Just that early contact with patients in medical school isn't all it's cracked up to be. I've found these sentiments to be echoed by many students at a variety of schools.
Reply 98

I think it's too simplistic to infer that because certain schools don't use modern teaching techniques that they are sacrificing making you a better doctor in order to make you a scientist. The counter argument would be that you gain much more from clinical exposure once you know the science behind it. But regardless, neither approach is perfect, it's more about how you as an individual learns, and that's why it's great that we have the choice between teaching styles. I think you'd be surprised at the amount of time that some traditional schools place on clinical skills. The only one I've actually visited is St Andrew's, where there's a whole replica ward with cameras, to practice and see what you do wrong etc., and regular trips to GP's offices, before the whole 3 years of clinicals. Obviously the focus is still on the science, but the clinical skills is far from forgotten. Dundee is very cool with the med school actually being in a hospital, but it's wrong to categorically say that one is better than the other.
Original post by KCosmo
I think it's too simplistic to infer that because certain schools don't use modern teaching techniques that they are sacrificing making you a better doctor in order to make you a scientist. The counter argument would be that you gain much more from clinical exposure once you know the science behind it. But regardless, neither approach is perfect, it's more about how you as an individual learns, and that's why it's great that we have the choice between teaching styles. I think you'd be surprised at the amount of time that some traditional schools place on clinical skills. The only one I've actually visited is St Andrew's, where there's a whole replica ward with cameras, to practice and see what you do wrong etc., and regular trips to GP's offices, before the whole 3 years of clinicals. Obviously the focus is still on the science, but the clinical skills is far from forgotten. Dundee is very cool with the med school actually being in a hospital, but it's wrong to categorically say that one is better than the other.

I completely agree and apologise if I came across thinking things were as black and white as that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending