mr bean
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I have my Standard Grade English exams tomorrow but I don't know how to structure some of the answers to close reading questions. I have been doing loads of past papers recently and have been scraping a grade 1 by only a couple of marks. My teacher has been hopeless over the past two years and I think we may have practised close reading only a handful of times so I would appreciate it if anyone could help.

Anyway, how would I answer the 'link' questions and questions where they ask me to comment on the effectiveness of an image (ie. simile, metaphor etc)? Thanks.
kylerfc
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This is a formula our teacher told us for linkage,

"(quote section which talks/mentions previous section)" refers back to the last paragraph where the author talked about (insert topic of last paragraph).
"(quote section which talks/mentions next section)" refers forward to the next paragraph/section where the author talks about (insert topic for next paragraph).
scottish19
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Link question...

The phrase “___________” links back to the previous topic of ________. The new topic of ____________ is introduced with the addition of the line “____________".

Imagery question...

• Quote the image
• What does it LITERALLY mean?
• What does it FIGURATIVELY mean?
• Is it a metaphor, simile, alliteration?

Sentence Stucture...(don't be daunted if you don't know what some of these mean because this note is for higher)

•What is used? Why is it used/purpose? How does it improve the sentence, what does it add/why has the writer used it?
•Questions used to make reader think or involve reader (can be rhetorical)
•Climax/anti-climax (to emphasise the end of the sentence/paragraph)
•Short or minor sentences (to create impact)
•Long sentences or long lists (to show the vast amount of things e.g. the list might be about health problems in Glasgow, list would be used to emphasise the vast number of problems associated with living in the city)
•Inverted commas (to distance themselves from it and show they don’t agree with it e.g. “politicians” shows how the writer doesn’t think they are as they don’t do their job properly)
•Repetition (used to reemphasis points made by writer)
•Colon/semi-colon (for writer’s opinion, introduce list, introduce quotation)
•Double dash/single dash (for extra information that is not really needed)
•One line paragraph (for emphasis of this specific point)
•Antithesis – two opposites in one sentence (to show contrast and emphasis the first)
•Inversion – changing the order of words (to emphasise the part at the beginning)
•Words such as ‘Yet’ (to show change direction of sentence)
•Parallel Structure (same as repetition)
•Hyperbole – gross exaggeration (e.g. “the whole world watched anxiously” shows how big the issue was)
•Oxymoron – deliberate contrast (emphasise differences in opinion)
•Juxtaposition – two contrasting ideas side by side (emphasise contrast in ideas/opinion)
•Circumlocution – to talk round something i.e. go on and on without achieving purpose

Understanding questions...

- Use your OWN words to prove that you know what the passage is about

Word choice questions...

• Connotations of the word
• Are the words very strong, very negative, very positive etc.?
• Does it suggest anything about writer’s opinion or tone?

Hope this helps a bit, GOOD LUCK tomorrow guys I'm sure you'll be fine
kylerfc
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by scottish19)
Link question...

The phrase “___________” links back to the previous topic of ________. The new topic of ____________ is introduced with the addition of the line “____________".

Imagery question...

• Quote the image
• What does it LITERALLY mean?
• What does it FIGURATIVELY mean?
• Is it a metaphor, simile, alliteration?

Sentence Stucture...(don't be daunted if you don't know what some of these mean because this note is for higher)

•What is used? Why is it used/purpose? How does it improve the sentence, what does it add/why has the writer used it?
•Questions used to make reader think or involve reader (can be rhetorical)
•Climax/anti-climax (to emphasise the end of the sentence/paragraph)
•Short or minor sentences (to create impact)
•Long sentences or long lists (to show the vast amount of things e.g. the list might be about health problems in Glasgow, list would be used to emphasise the vast number of problems associated with living in the city)
•Inverted commas (to distance themselves from it and show they don’t agree with it e.g. “politicians” shows how the writer doesn’t think they are as they don’t do their job properly)
•Repetition (used to reemphasis points made by writer)
•Colon/semi-colon (for writer’s opinion, introduce list, introduce quotation)
•Double dash/single dash (for extra information that is not really needed)
•One line paragraph (for emphasis of this specific point)
•Antithesis – two opposites in one sentence (to show contrast and emphasis the first)
•Inversion – changing the order of words (to emphasise the part at the beginning)
•Words such as ‘Yet’ (to show change direction of sentence)
•Parallel Structure (same as repetition)
•Hyperbole – gross exaggeration (e.g. “the whole world watched anxiously” shows how big the issue was)
•Oxymoron – deliberate contrast (emphasise differences in opinion)
•Juxtaposition – two contrasting ideas side by side (emphasise contrast in ideas/opinion)
•Circumlocution – to talk round something i.e. go on and on without achieving purpose

Understanding questions...

- Use your OWN words to prove that you know what the passage is about

Word choice questions...

• Connotations of the word
• Are the words very strong, very negative, very positive etc.?
• Does it suggest anything about writer’s opinion or tone?

Hope this helps a bit, GOOD LUCK tomorrow guys I'm sure you'll be fine
Thanks that is really useful!!
mr bean
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks for the replies everyone. They have all been very helpful. Now just to hope that tomorrow goes well :crossedf:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.49%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.8%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.07%
I need help with my personal statement (55)
39.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.36%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.17%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed