UCAS: Multiple Rejections

Watch
This discussion is closed.
big mama
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
It seems that some very strong candidates are getting multiple rejections.
Their past results are good, their predicted results are good and the quality of their posts indicate that they are unlikely to have botched the personal statement.
Could it be the open reference?
UCAS say that under the Data Protection Act you can ask to see what has been written about you.
Has anyone done this?
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by big mama)
It seems that some very strong candidates are getting multiple rejections.
Their past results are good, their predicted results are good and the quality of their posts indicate that they are unlikely to have botched the personal statement.
Could it be the open reference?
UCAS say that under the Data Protection Act you can ask to see what has been written about you.
Has anyone done this?
Yes, aswell as reading the version that my tutors gave me I also paid £11 + p&p to get the version that UCAS had (call me paranoid but I wanted to make sure my tutors had showed me the correct version)!!! Fortunately for me the reference was tremendous and I think I own my tutors some serious thanks for writing the comments that they did!!!
madmazda86
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
Yes, aswell as reading the version that my tutors gave me I also paid £11 + p&p to get the version that UCAS had (call me paranoid but I wanted to make sure my tutors had showed me the correct version)!!! Fortunately for me the reference was tremendous and I think I own my tutors some serious thanks for writing the comments that they did!!!
Argh, that's piqued my curiosity now - at first I didn't want to know, especially what my Maths teachers have written (hate hate hate). I'm tempted now, especially as I have a horrible suspicion that all my teachers wrote me Zoology-related references which means I'll have to come up with an explanation/excuse for that in my Orthoptics interview next week! :rolleyes:
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
With so many A grade students, people are going to be rejected from places. There doesn't have to be anything "wrong" with them.
Mioniel
Report 16 years ago
I desperately want to see my reference, but do I have to pay £11 plus p+p? That doesn't seem fair....
Econ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This forum is probably not an accurate reflection of the average university application. Many people on here have exceptional academic profiles and are only applying to the top universities. The amount of A grade students coming from public school and the more able students from state schools far outweigh the number of places available in the top 10 universities. Rejections are inevitable within the current system.

Everyone with decent grades is more-ales scrambling for places in a select few universities making competition a nightmare.

Nothing wrong with any part of most applications just not enough top universities leaving a simple case of demand outstripping supply.
rae
Report 16 years ago
i wondered why i hadnt heard anything from uni so sent off for mine. my open reference was fairly glowing, apart from the fact that my tutor stated i got 8 gcses not 9. ive been in touch with all the unis, but im pleased i had the chance to see it (even if it did cost a few pounds) and rectify the situation, given that im applying for medicine and its extremely competitive anyway.
your tutors are not allowed to state your bad points anyway.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rae)
your tutors are not allowed to state your bad points anyway.
Er, well there's nothing stopping them, per se.

That said, most will take a selective approach to writing a reference...pointedly not mentioning such and such because it doesn't apply to you.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My tutor gave me the best reference ever, it annoys me to think it probably would have good enough for me to get in one of the better universities. It basicaly said I was a great Java programmer, I work exteremely hard, I am by the best student on the course etc.

Then he wrote one for this other lad "he is a lazy tosser and he dosn't do any work, I feel sorry for any university that take him on" he wasn't allowed to sent it though because his boss made him write a nice one :confused:

Either way he is now at the University of East London.
Insatiable
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I waived my right to an open reference and Oxford still rejected me, and several of my other choices still might do so.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
My tutor gave me the best reference ever, it annoys me to think it probably would have good enough for me to get in one of the better universities. It basicaly said I was a great Java programmer, I work exteremely hard, I am by the best student on the course etc.

Then he wrote one for this other lad "he is a lazy tosser and he dosn't do any work, I feel sorry for any university that take him on" he wasn't allowed to sent it though because his boss made him write a nice one :confused:

Either way he is now at the University of East London.
He wouldnt be allowed to send it on you arent allowed to give people a bad reference so if they are bad you just dont say anything either good or bad about them.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads