The Student Room Group

C4 (Not MEI) - Thursday June 21 2012, PM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doctor.
Yeah the Jan 12 paper! That woukd be awesome If you could upload :smile:

An thanks!!!!!

I ended up with 67/72 in the end. Mistakes, although it took me far too long to notice in 3ii that the denominator was zero.

The mark scheme's here, if you want I'll put my copy of the paper up. I did scribble on it a bit, but those scribbles are useless.

Original post by Killjoy-
Haha thanks :smile:

For the C4 paper I did I lost a few marks for stupid mistakes and for a binomial expansion approximation q I didn't do. I have to learn that at some point.

Have you started further maths revision before core?

We do FP3, so lots of differential equations and more vector work.

Ah binomial's not too bad, just a formula and being able to get the bracket into the right form.

Nope, we've got to do y2=f(x) first, then it'll be ready for revision. Haven't done any of one teacher's homework, because it was Maclaurin and Taylor and errors which bores me to tears, so I'll be learning that as I revise the rest.

Yay FP3 :biggrin: I've made an FP2 and FP3 thread in this forum too, check them out :wink: I'm not really liking groups - the book is crap at explaining and I'm self-taught. Also vectors - my visualisation isn't brilliant. C4 vectors are fine though.

Original post by wibletg
Hey :biggrin:

Hahaha, glad I'm doing S2 instead of M4 :tongue: M3 was enough.

Long division, so I divide f(x) by g(x) to get the quotient and the remainder. Takes a bit of thinking to do it and it's easy to make a mistake :frown:

FP2 is good for this too, like people have already said :tongue: it makes C4 look like a doddle though :frown:

S2's nicer than S1. S3's even nicer than both of them, I got 93 in that unit. Self-taught, but it's mainly formulae.

I'm not a fan of that method - my teacher showed us all three methods in C2 and pretty much all of us decided we preferred the method I mentioned earlier.

I love half of FP2 - the integration's lovely, as is the hyperbolic stuff. But integrating the hyper bolics is a bit annoying because I'm not used to it and they're not really in the formula book.
Reply 21
Original post by Contrad!ction.

S2's nicer than S1. S3's even nicer than both of them, I got 93 in that unit. Self-taught, but it's mainly formulae.

I'm not a fan of that method - my teacher showed us all three methods in C2 and pretty much all of us decided we preferred the method I mentioned earlier.

I love half of FP2 - the integration's lovely, as is the hyperbolic stuff. But integrating the hyper bolics is a bit annoying because I'm not used to it and they're not really in the formula book.

Yeah, I've been told S3 is easier than S2 :tongue: accounts for the high grade boundaries though.

Parts of FP2 are nice, others (series integration and errors) seem a bit pointless :redface:

Integrating/differentiating hyperbolics is pretty much the same as trig... I think there's only one exception and that's the differential of tanhx :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by wibletg
Yeah, I've been told S3 is easier than S2 :tongue: accounts for the high grade boundaries though.

Parts of FP2 are nice, others (series integration and errors) seem a bit pointless :redface:

Integrating/differentiating hyperbolics is pretty much the same as trig... I think there's only one exception and that's the differential of tanhx :smile:

I was annoyed with my S2 exam, I should have got >90 but they had a combinations/permutations question in it that threw me.

I'm not too worried about the series integration, but my preferences seem to follow the teacher for each topic. I always seem to prefer the topics my head of maths teaches. Maybe he's just used his authority to give himself the nicer areas :tongue:

I'd hate to be caught out by a missing minus sign or whatever though... it's annoying how the ordinary trig's in the formula book yet the hyperbolics aren't.
Reply 23
I was annoyed with my S2 exam, I should have got >90 but they had a combinations/permutations question in it that threw me.

I'm not too worried about the series integration, but my preferences seem to follow the teacher for each topic. I always seem to prefer the topics my head of maths teaches. Maybe he's just used his authority to give himself the nicer areas :tongue:

I'd hate to be caught out by a missing minus sign or whatever though... it's annoying how the ordinary trig's in the formula book yet the hyperbolics aren't.

I seriously hope a combinations and permutations question doesn't pop up. I'll be raging if it does :frown:

Yeah I know what you mean, but thankfully there's a pattern with the hyperbolics :tongue:
Original post by wibletg
I seriously hope a combinations and permutations question doesn't pop up. I'll be raging if it does :frown:

Yeah I know what you mean, but thankfully there's a pattern with the hyperbolics :tongue:

I was annoyed. It was a resit and I was getting near enough full marks in my past papers, and then they popped up. :mad:

If it comes to it I'll just do it in terms of e and hope I can recognise cot or cosec or whatever when I've finished. There's an FP2 thread that I've posted - this would probably be more relevant there.
Reply 25
I ended up with 67/72 in the end. Mistakes, although it took me far too long to notice in 3ii that the denominator was zero.

The mark scheme's here, if you want I'll put my copy of the paper up. I did scribble on it a bit, but those scribbles are useless.

Ah binomial's not too bad, just a formula and being able to get the bracket into the right form.

Nope, we've got to do y2=f(x) first, then it'll be ready for revision. Haven't done any of one teacher's homework, because it was Maclaurin and Taylor and errors which bores me to tears, so I'll be learning that as I revise the rest.

Yay FP3 :biggrin: I've made an FP2 and FP3 thread in this forum too, check them out :wink: I'm not really liking groups - the book is crap at explaining and I'm self-taught. Also vectors - my visualisation isn't brilliant. C4 vectors are fine though.

Woooo thank you very much, now I can finally msrk the mock I did.....a month a go! :tongue:

Core 3 is just annoying, dam them transformations :frown: I have myself when I mess one of them up :angry:

Tomorrow shall be my C4 day :h:

So yeah, expect many questions I need help on guys!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

PS you're all too clever, M3, M4, S3?! So I expect you all to help me :lol:
Reply 26
Original post by Doctor.
Woooo thank you very much, now I can finally msrk the mock I did.....a month a go! :tongue:
Core 3 is just annoying, dam them transformations :frown: I have myself when I mess one of them up :angry:

Ugh, I'd hate to spend a whole day revising C4 :tongue:
Original post by Doctor.

If there's anything that needs explaining, I'll give it a go. On Thursdays I steal my head of sixth's classroom and run through some C4 with a friend (or C1 with another friend) so chances are I've already explained it before :smile:

Transformations? In my C3 exam I cocked up drawing a graph, but did it in pen. So I drew an arrow pointing to the wrong graph and wrote 'this is wrong, please don't mark it' and drew the correct one. :tongue:

Oh fun :tongue: This weekend I've done no work at all. Just bought a new mouse and keyboard, wireless and comfy yay :biggrin:

I like answering questions :smile:

I've learnt a bit of S4 as well :wink:
Reply 28
Original post by wibletg
Ugh, I'd hate to spend a whole day revising C4 :tongue:

It's C3, that's the bad one. Least in C4 it's somewhat predictable and normal. Could do without the 'outside the box' type questions though :tongue:

BTW guys, make sure you have a look through the OCR Cambridge book! It actually does have all the 'outside the box' questions and practically everything they can put.into the exam!

If you want full marks, its a must do! Just 'borrow' a copy from school :colone:
I'll put up the questions I get stuck on tomorrow anyway :h:
Reply 29
Original post by Doctor.
It's C3, that's the bad one. Least in C4 it's somewhat predictable and normal. Could do without the 'outside the box' type questions though :tongue:

BTW guys, make sure you have a look through the OCR Cambridge book! It actually does have all the 'outside the box' questions and practically everything they can put.into the exam!

If you want full marks, its a must do! Just 'borrow' a copy from school :colone:
I'll put up the questions I get stuck on tomorrow anyway :h:

The great big thick C3 and C4 question book? :tongue: we get given one anyway, fantastic if you do the misc exercises and the revision exercises :tongue:
Reply 30
Original post by wibletg
The great big thick C3 and C4 question book? :tongue: we get given one anyway, fantastic if you do the misc exercises and the revision exercises :tongue:

That book isn't bad at all.
Reply 31
That book isn't bad at all.

Original post by wibletg

Pft I had to steal the teachers copy as they are too cheap (and wasted their budget on a crap generic book :k: ).

Ahaha thats the one!!!!!!!! It has everything! :redface:

I am only doing the misc questions though, there are way too many of the exe questions :angry:

Will scan the questions I can't do to see if any of you lot can do It :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Doctor.
Pft I had to steal the teachers copy as they are too cheap (and wasted their budget on a crap generic book :k:smile:.

Ahaha thats the one!!!!!!!! It has everything! :redface:

I am only doing the misc questions though, there are way too many of the exe questions :angry:

Will scan the questions I can't do to see if any of you lot can do It :tongue:

We get given them for each module. Our head of maths is really lax about us handing it back in. I've still got my D1, D2, S2 and S3&4 books.

They're good for questions, apart from when they get answers wrong. Their explanations are crap though, self teaching from them isn't easy.
Reply 33
We get given them for each module. Our head of maths is really lax about us handing it back in. I've still got my D1, D2, S2 and S3&4 books.

They're good for questions, apart from when they get answers wrong. Their explanations are crap though, self teaching from them isn't easy.

you go to a great school :tongue:

That really does annoy me, they have practically every question that will come up In the exam. I have even seen most of the 'think outside the box' questions in there. Problem is when you get it wrong :frown:
Specially since I don't have a maths teacher no more, much harder lol.

For C3 and most of C4, I thought they were pretty good tbh. The S1 book is rather crappy on explaining though :angry: Then again there isnt much content in C3/C4 :s-smilie:
Reply 34
Right I need to get off TSR lol, got to get up nice and early and try get every single one of the misc questions done tomorrow for C4.

Didn't even get half of the misc questions done for C3 :frown: too boing!

Night guys :smile:
Original post by Doctor.
you go to a great school :tongue:

That really does annoy me, they have practically every question that will come up In the exam. I have even seen most of the 'think outside the box' questions in there. Problem is when you get it wrong :frown:
Specially since I don't have a maths teacher no more, much harder lol.

For C3 and most of C4, I thought they were pretty good tbh. The S1 book is rather crappy on explaining though :angry: Then again there isnt much content in C3/C4 :s-smilie:

I love my school. I have some pretty good teachers too.

At least they give you a chance to practice.

They're not very good for any of the stats modules. They gloss over conditions and explain the Central Limit Theorem really poorly.
Reply 36
Original post by Doctor.

Night guys :smile:

Good night fellow Star Wars fan!
Reply 37
Good night fellow Star Wars fan!

Aw I only just saw your avatar, nice :biggrin:
Reply 38
Just checked through my Jan '12 Mock, got a decent mark! I knew I lost a few marks on second part of that Vector question, I just didn't know what to do! :tongue:
I lost quite a few 1 marks on integrating etc, by messing up the answer at the end :lol:. Literally everything was looked fine in the working out, but then boom...a random '5' is put down rather than the correct '3'??? These retarded moments are going to screw me over in the exam :facepalm:

Would really appreciate it if you lot could help me solve the underlined questions, in the attachments! :smile: please explain how you got the answer, the answer at the back of the book doesn't tell me much :angry:

Thanks again
Reply 39
I done the C4 paper as a mock recently, my first time doing an exam paper, and it was the Jan 2012 paper. And I ended up doing so poor on it. I couldn't understand the massive last one (though I missed the whole topic in school as I was ill, I self studied it), the revolution one, the vector one. Ended up with a D :frown: .

Anyone have advice on how to prepare ? I find all practise questions easy that I do, but the exam pushes it up alot that my methods seem to not work anymore . Just feel so worried right now :frown: . I revised solidly for it aswell :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply