The Student Room Group

Got £60 of petrol today, put card in reader, don't think I was charged.

I went to the ASDA petrol pump today and filled up my tank with £60 petrol., the one I went to had only the pay by card option, there was no kiosk with people inside to help,
I had £120 in my bank and after buying £60 of petrol my mini statement should show something like'' available balance £120, max cash withdrawal £60 but my ticket shows max cash withdrawal £120 and no sign on mini statement of petrol.

Anyway before I put petrol in the car I put my card in the reader and back out again, then after put £60 in the tank, I inserted my bank card into the reader on the petrol pump (first time I ever paid by card so was a bit unsure of how it worked.) I expected it to want me to enter my pin number but it didn't, as I put my card back in it just kept hold of my card, gave me a receipt and then give me my card back,
Anyway I went to the asda cash point and checked that my money had been debited , it hadn't, nor would it show on my mini statement, I asked the woman at asda and she said it could just take a few hours to be taken from my account, yet on my ticket my available balance is still £60 higher than it should be, it should be - £60 available balance?

That was about 8am this morning, 20 mins ago I checked again and still it hasn't been debited nor showing up on my mini statement, it looks as though I hadn't even been the pump, there was no showing on the ticket, no money debited.

Yet I have some sort of receipt from the pump that reads £60 credited.

I don't want it to look as though I've made of without paying , I'll keep hold of that ticket as proof I attempted to pay and I'll keep £60 in my bank for the next few days or weeks in case it does go out, however what are the chances that the machine may have been faulty and I have got free petrol, what could happen if it turns out I didn't pay but my mistake, will I get a letter in the next few days or something or am I in the clear? thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it can take a few days to process. My mum used an asda pump once and it charged her about 3 days later, now she refuses to buy fuel from asda because of this. :s-smilie:
I think this calls for a brofist, brochacho:

Reply 3
Don't get excited :tongue: ... This is common when using the 'pay at pump' systems. It'll take a few days.
Free petrol :colone:
Reply 5
I work at ASDA and it takes a few days for the money to be debited. I know usually your available balance goes down straight after VISA transactions but it doesn't for ASDA petrol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by The Stig
Don't get excited :tongue: ...

why not? :sexface:
Reply 7
Original post by Kram Ekard.
I went to the ASDA petrol pump today and filled up my tank with £60 petrol., the one I went to had only the pay by card option, there was no kiosk with people inside to help,
I had £120 in my bank and after buying £60 of petrol my mini statement should show something like'' available balance £120, max cash withdrawal £60 but my ticket shows max cash withdrawal £120 and no sign on mini statement of petrol.

Anyway before I put petrol in the car I put my card in the reader and back out again, then after put £60 in the tank, I inserted my bank card into the reader on the petrol pump (first time I ever paid by card so was a bit unsure of how it worked.) I expected it to want me to enter my pin number but it didn't, as I put my card back in it just kept hold of my card, gave me a receipt and then give me my card back,
Anyway I went to the asda cash point and checked that my money had been debited , it hadn't, nor would it show on my mini statement, I asked the woman at asda and she said it could just take a few hours to be taken from my account, yet on my ticket my available balance is still £60 higher than it should be, it should be - £60 available balance?

That was about 8am this morning, 20 mins ago I checked again and still it hasn't been debited nor showing up on my mini statement, it looks as though I hadn't even been the pump, there was no showing on the ticket, no money debited.

Yet I have some sort of receipt from the pump that reads £60 credited.

I don't want it to look as though I've made of without paying , I'll keep hold of that ticket as proof I attempted to pay and I'll keep £60 in my bank for the next few days or weeks in case it does go out, however what are the chances that the machine may have been faulty and I have got free petrol, what could happen if it turns out I didn't pay but my mistake, will I get a letter in the next few days or something or am I in the clear? thanks

I wouldn't worry about it- petrol stations have CCTV cameras, so if you ever get a nasty note saying you haven't paid for petrol, just remember the date and time you went and they can look back on their CCTV. Don't sweat it.
Reply 8
Not petrol related - but I got told once by somebody that I know who works in Mcdonalds that if you leave you card in the card reader for long enough after it says "remove card" the transaction won't actually go through.
Although I imagine it'd be a little awkward standing there for as long as you possibly can after you've been given your food and there's a queue behind you :tongue:
Reply 9
Sometimes it'll take a few days to show up.
Alternatively, you've found somewhere that gives out free fuel. Give it a week to make sure and tank up again!
Nah it just takes a couple of days to come out, this confused me once as it took like 4 days and I was just starting to wonder if I'd got free fuel when it finally came out of the account. Not sure why it takes so long though :s-smilie:
Reply 11
If you think 3 days is bad, I once filled up at Morrisons Pay at Pump, and they didn't take the money from my account until over a month later! I almost called my bank and reported it as fraud, as I couldn't remember filling up at Morrisons - I actually had to search through all my receipts from Morrisons and find which one matched the amount on my statement.
Original post by startitup
I work at ASDA and it takes a few days for the money to be debited. I know usually your available balance goes down straight after VISA transactions but it doesn't for ASDA petrol.

Is this the correct way of paying petrol at the ASDA's pump?

1. insert the card into the reader and then put the pin in
2. After it authorised the card, I then take the card out then release the fuel into the tank.
3. I went.
Even if the money never comes out of your account, you've made an attempt to pay and were given a receipt. I doubt you'll get prosecuted for it. If in doubt, plead the innocent act: "I thought it went through, I even have a receipt for it!"
Original post by jenniebabe

2. After it authorised the card, I then take the card out then release the fuel into the tank.
3. I went.

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
I once paid a £500 deposit on my card at CycleSurgery to test ride a bicycle from the shop. Checked my account the next day and my account had £500 extra deposited with no sign of any money having gone out. The deposit didn't show up as having left my account until a few days after. Banks are weird.
this is from 3 years ago lol, he prolly got hunted down and killed by asda petrol inc already
Original post by jenniebabe

3. I went.

The hint is in the "it authorised the card".
Original post by Mad Vlad
The hint is in the "it authorised the card".

Vlad why are you Mad?
Youll find that they 'pre-authorise' £1 to check the card you're using is valid and debit the remaining amount in a few days. You'll always see the pump say you can fuel up to £99 even if you have less than that in your account.

I regularly fill up at a pay at pump the day before payday as I know it won't clear until i've been paid.

Latest