The Student Room Group

Black (Asian too) and/or British?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
It's for black people's safety that they do not refer to themselves as "Black British".

Why, are you gonna ride out in the tractor and unleash some vigilante justice sheltered-snob style on the black people bold enough to do so?
I'm just going to admit that I'm a british-born naija. As much as I would love to boast about my awesome country, I've been tainted by London.. and I love it!
Reply 202
Original post by Pyramidologist
No that's not true. To be British you have to descend from the indigenous British peoples. British is an ethnicity.

Just because any old immigrant can get a passport with ''British'' written on it, doesn't make them real/ethnic British. I could get an Australian passport, but would that make me an Australian aborigine? Of course not. Its exactly the same with UK.

No, not Australian aborigine, but it would make you an australian citizen and therefore australian....

no-one is saying that black/asian people are ethnically british but you're saying they're not british at all even if they're parents were born and raised here, which is why you sound ridiculous
Original post by JCC-MGS
Why, are you gonna ride out in the tractor and unleash some vigilante justice sheltered-snob style on the black people bold enough to do so?

That might happen. There are people out there who do not believe that you can be Black and British - so don't upset them.
Original post by gapyearstudent
no-one is saying that black/asian people are ethnically british but you're saying they're not british at all even if they're parents were born and raised here, which is why you sound ridiculous

So if a German couple move to Greenland, and have a child, raise it there, that child becomes an Inuit? Your argument makes no sense. The only British people are the indigenous British, the people who tick ''White British'' (goverment census). Everyone else in Britain is an immigrant (legal or illegal).
Reply 205
Original post by LethalBeans
This is how I see it:

My grandparents are from Saint Lucia, Guyana and Kenya; and because of the slave trade and what-not there is also a mixture of portuguese and asian in my ancestry. So I'm technically mixed-race but I don't feel good about being related to a Portuguese slave trader or to an Indian plantation manager so I just say that my race is black. Most people see me as just being black anyway.

Now for me, being British is a nationality, just like with any other country. Personally, my grandparents migrated to the UK around 50 years ago, adopted the British culture and gave birth to Black British children. Thus making me third generation Black British.

if your grandparents moved here wouldn't that make your parents 1st generation black british and you 2nd gen???
Reply 206
So if a German couple move to Greenland, and have a child, raise it there, that child becomes an Inuit? Your argument makes no sense. The only British people are the indigenous British, the people who tick ''White British'' (goverment census). Everyone else in Britain is an immigrant (legal or illegal).

The child would be a Greendlander.
Reply 207
It's for black people's safety that they do not refer to themselves as "Black British".

Can't you go back to being obsessed with how ugly you are?
Reply 208

no the child wouldn't be an Inuit but it would be a Greenlander.
Although I am glad that you've moved on from your aborigine Australian example because that was getting a bit stale...
Reply 209

you don't need to concern yourself with my safety
Reply 210
Original post by Ben_055
You've hit the spot.

Totally
Original post by Ebuwa
Aw, are you there for uni?

Yes, I have to get out of London eventually :biggrin:. This morning a was talking to a woman and she asked me where I was from and she said I didn't sound like a Londoner. I don't think my London accent is that strong so I said my parents are from Ghana and she said I must have a hybrid of the two accents. Its weird my sisters have really strong London accents but I don't and I have never lived in Ghana only visited.
Original post by J DOT A
No they are not, they did the just thing and it was not rape if these white girls do not know how to behave. Kuffars having morals? please.

You can be 'kuffars' with morals I'm pretty sure. And doesn't raping them to teach them seem a tad extreme?

I'm just sayin.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Dude I'm just me. **** this patriotism **** be it to Britain or where my ancestors came from.

Honestly? I'm a 'Black British' teenager who wears glasses and has braces, and the amount of people that I walk past on the street who are fearful of me.

Of course, this is just my judgement but I do not think it's hard to read body movements, especially when the actions I see involve women randomly clutching bags or people even crossing the road just to avoid me.

I'm not saying this because I'm proud, I'm just saying this to prove my point which is that people fear what they do not understand. I can see that your probably confused as to why multiculturalism has meant that ethnic minorities can be a big part of British society, and I don't know if this is due to pride or racism. But we're here so look up at us, not down, we are British just like you as well as human just like you.
Reply 215
In Islam, where does it accept rape as punishment? That's not for men to decide, regardless of religion or morals. It's wrong on every level. Verbal abuse, I can understand. But not rape.

Original post by YouDaOne
Coloured people cannot be British or English even if they are born here. The colour of their skin seperates them and all ways will. No matter how much they try to fit in to British culture they can't because their attitudes and values are too different.

Not necessarily, I know so many British blacks/Asians who don't share the typical black or Asian attitudes and values. They fall pretty close to white attitudes. So not all non-whites can be generalised as having different views. I'm not saying their english but still British.
I thought the term 'British' isn't meant to take into account race, religion etc :s-smilie:

Original post by LethalBeans
Honestly? I'm a 'Black British' teenager who wears glasses and has braces, and the amount of people that I walk past on the street who are fearful of me.

Of course, this is just my judgement but I do not think it's hard to read body movements, especially when the actions I see involve women randomly clutching bags or people even crossing the road just to avoid me.

I'm not saying this because I'm proud, I'm just saying this to prove my point which is that people fear what they do not understand. I can see that your probably confused as to why multiculturalism has meant that ethnic minorities can be a big part of British society, and I don't know if this is due to pride or racism. But we're here so look up at us, not down, we are British just like you as well as human just like you.

No you are not British. You are black.
Original post by YouDaOne
Coloured people cannot be British or English even if they are born here. The colour of their skin seperates them and all ways will. No matter how much they try to fit in to British culture they can't because their attitudes and values are too different.

...yes because I'm sure every white person in this country shares the same attitudes and values :rolleyes:

Also, so skin colour determines attitudes and values? You do realise the colour of your skin isn't exclusive to the "indigenous" British right?

****ing idiot.
Original post by xOsugaplumfairy
i'm nigerian and i would never live there sorry..

Same here to be honest...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending