Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I still don't know when to use which...can anyone help!?!?

e.g. when I type "It is a type of food which consists of.." in the computer, it says I should change it to "that"...but "that" doesn't sound right in this case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wigman15)

e.g. when I type "It is a type of food which consists of.." in the computer, it says I should change it to "that"...but "that" doesn't sound right in this case.
    ignore the computer. which is fine

ReputationRep:

I get that all the time. It either says which and a comma or that.

But which is fine

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!!

ReputationRep:
    I always have fights with Microsoft Word about it. I just ignore it and keep 'which'

ReputationRep:
    just turn off the stupid spell checker and rely on your own (far superior) intelligence

ReputationRep:

Is it the bird THAT flew overhead **** on my head or the bird WHICH flew overhead **** on my head?

It is THAT.

THAT is used to distinguish one of many. There may have been many birds singing in the trees but it was THE ONE THAT flew overhead that **** on my head.

Does that help?

ReputationRep:

"That" and "which" are pretty similar, but "which" is usually more elegant. That's what my English tutor told me anyway :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Howard and Eeyore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    "That" and "which" are pretty similar, but "which" is usually more elegant. That's what my English tutor told me anyway :confused:
    There's a clear grammatical difference so if your English tutor really distinguished the two with that explanation he or she has no place tutoring English.

ReputationRep:
    Microsoft word works on American Grammar, which states that "which" is inappropriate in a lot of places that it is deemed appropriate in Britain. If you're worried about it then google for a grammar guide.

(I speak as someone who spent nearly an hour working on whether to write "which" or "that" in my personal statement. I ended up reading a fifty year old grammar guide )

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.