The Student Room Group

Israel bans UN human rights observers from entering the country

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bluenose14
I don't claim to know a lot about this but from what I've heard part of Palestine was given over to the Israelis in the wake of World War 2.

Is there more to it than this because I can understand the Palestinians being cheesed off if that's the case.

Yes, there is a bit more to it than that. I suggest reading up on it. Wikipedia is quite a good place to start for a basic overview.
Reply 81
see last time a country tossed out the un we bombed them into the ground and entered them into a decade long war/civil war ...
Original post by tufc
The Arab population have hardly helped themselves. They've been offered a two-state solution before, but rejected it, which would kind of suggest that if they get one now, they'll be happy with it for about 10 minutes before they go for the next step, and try to deport/exterminate all Jews.

There's never even been a country called 'Palestine' anyway...

I believe you are wrong sir. We would actually only remove the illegal State of Israel as the owner of the land and reclaim it as part of Palastine.

The Jews may still live there in peace, like they have done so in the past (before the state of Israel)
Original post by tufc
Sorry to where?

Palestine, you know. That state which countries representing 80% of the world's population recognize, but countries representing 75% of the world's wealth don't.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2011/sep/20/palestinain-state-israel-un-interactive
Reply 84
Original post by Perseveranze
I believe you are wrong sir. We would actually only remove the illegal State of Israel as the owner of the land and reclaim it as part of Palastine.

The Jews may still live there in peace, like they have done so in the past (before the state of Israel)

But I'm right in saying you wouldn't be happy with a two-state solution? Everyone who's pro-Palestine says they want a two-state solution, but none of you will rest at that.

1. Why would I think you're worthy of creating Palestine, if you can't even spell it?
2. There has never been a country called Palestine
Reply 85
Original post by musabjilani
Palestine, you know. That state which countries representing 80% of the world's population recognize, but countries representing 75% of the world's wealth don't.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2011/sep/20/palestinain-state-israel-un-interactive

Well yeah, but a much smaller number of countries don't recognise Israel...

Original post by tufc
Well yeah, but a much smaller number of countries don't recognise Israel...

I never said or implied that Israel isn't a country or responded "where?" in response to someone referring to it.
Reply 87
Original post by musabjilani
I never said or implied that Israel isn't a country or responded "where?" in response to someone referring to it.

True, but it seems to me that people who are pro-Palestine generally want to see Israel destroyed, but pretend they'd be happy with a two-state solution.
Reply 88
In my opinion Israel has a right to exist as to a large extent might is right and property is 9 10ths of the law. My distant relatives (victims of Lithuanian pogroms) arent getting their land back any time soon. Germany lost WWII and thus has no right to land lost to Poland (east of the Oder-Neisse Line etc.)
The Arab nations refused a two-state resolution in 1948 and Israel did, absolving them of blame for the conflicts that arose thereof.
Every race deserves a homeland, which is logical as races must arise somewhere (the Jews controlled Palestine until they tried to remove the Roman imperialists and were cleansed and expelled. Much like with the Egyptians before that in the times of Moses). If Arab nomads deserve land, which is unproductive and they do not settle on or actually demark, throughout the Middle East then productive Israelis (most patents in the world, even for such a small nation) I think have a better pragmatic right as they use it better.
Finally the Arabs drove Christians, Hindus and Jews from many places, from Pakistan to Turkey to Morocco, and to suffer losing such a small area and complaining so vigorously seems hypocritical. How did a race emerging in a sliver of the Arabian Gulf come do dominate Northern Africa, Arabia and West Asia? Invasion and Colonisation.
Original post by tufc
But I'm right in saying you wouldn't be happy with a two-state solution? Everyone who's pro-Palestine says they want a two-state solution, but none of you will rest at that.

1. Why would I think you're worthy of creating Palestine, if you can't even spell it?
2. There has never been a country called Palestine

1. Why do you think Muslims would care what you constitute as worthy?
2. It doesn't matter what you call it, Filasṭīn is what it's more commonly called in Muslim lands. It does not change the concept that the land is home to the people of Filistine,and now they're the one's being oppressed and driven out.

Atleast you're right about something though, none will rest with a 2 state state solution.

[INDENT]In 1901, Dr Theodore Hertzil, founder of the Zionist movement visited
Istanbul and tried to meet with Khaleefah Abdul-Hamid II. Abdul-Hamid
refused to meet him and told his Head of the Ministers Council:

[INDENT]“Advise Dr Hertzil not to take any further steps in this project. I cannot give away a handful of the soil of this land for it is not my own, it is for all the Islamic Ummah. The Islamic Ummah have fought with their blood and sweat to protect this land.”[/INDENT][/INDENT]
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tufc
The Arab population have hardly helped themselves. They've been offered a two-state solution before,

Well as you pointed out, todays Palestnians arent those ones who were offered a two state solution.
Reply 91
Original post by AkaJetson
Well as you pointed out, todays Palestnians arent those ones who were offered a two state solution.

Under that logic, the Israelis can't be held responsible for their ancestors' actions, and have an absolute right to the land.
Original post by tufc
True, but it seems to me that people who are pro-Palestine generally want to see Israel destroyed, but pretend they'd be happy with a two-state solution.

That's an extremely unfair generalization. Several of us take a principled stand on the issue rather than one based on national egoism, and believe that a nation should have a state, and would extend that courtesy to Israel too, questions regarding the moral legitimacy of the initial granting of that state notwithstanding. Several pro-Palestinian people probably disagree with the creation of Israel, but now that that state and that nation exist, they do, by virtue of existing, have the right to exist. As do the Palestinians.
(edited 11 years ago)

Please. This is a famously inaccurate and misleading map which presents a false picture by deliberately confusing sovereingty and ownership, as well as a number of other things.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish
Please. This is a famously inaccurate and misleading map which presents a false picture by deliberately confusing sovereingty and ownership, as well as a number of other things.

Some people really do find it hard to face the facts, ey?
Israel doesn't apply human rights to the Palestinians anyway.
Original post by adam902100
Some people really do find it hard to face the facts, ey?

Are you actually disputing my characterisation of the map?
This Islamist bull**** is concerning, Palestine is not Islamic land there is no such thing "Islamic land" am as much opposed to Israeli offenses against human rights as anyone and some would say even more, but the facts remain, Palestinians don't respect the human rights of fellow Palestinians internally and I shudder to think what they'd do with Jewish citizens if they were allowed to exist...

I mean today Haaretz reported that Gaza had its first ever waitress.. That's how far behind in they are in terms of human rights.
Atleast you're right about something though, none will rest with a 2 state state solution.

[INDENT]In 1901, Dr Theodore Hertzil, founder of the Zionist movement visited
Istanbul and tried to meet with Khaleefah Abdul-Hamid II. Abdul-Hamid
refused to meet him and told his Head of the Ministers Council:

[INDENT]“Advise Dr Hertzil not to take any further steps in this project. I cannot give away a handful of the soil of this land for it is not my own, it is for all the Islamic Ummah. The Islamic Ummah have fought with their blood and sweat to protect this land.”[/INDENT]
[/INDENT]

That map is one of the most propagandistic lies out there. It is blatantly confusing, and deliberately so. Given your desire for the elimination of Israel it only makes sense you'd resort to such underhand tactics as using a faulty map.
By 'UN human rights observers' you mean members from a panel which host some of the worst human rights observers, a panel which dedicates the vast majority of its time and efforts on the only Jewish state in the world ahead of some of the worst human rights abuses and abusers in the world and finally which are coming to Israel solely to 'prove' a predisposed conclusion; that Israel is evil and the root of all conflict in the Middle East.

I can forgive them for barring entry to these 'human rights observers'.

Oh, and how are the 'observers' in Syria doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending