This discussion is closed.
leukybear
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey i'm planning on doing an access to science course in 2014 to hopefully get into uni to study pharmacy the following year. I would like to know in addition to chemistry, biology and maths, what else should i study or do in the mean time to prepare myself for this course. I currently looking at lambeth college to do that access when the times comes in 2014.

I'm currently learning chemistry from basics and working my way to understand and learn as much as i can at the moment.

Any specific topics in maths that i should really get familar with?

What should i expect on the access course? and any tips?

I Currently hold the following subjects at Gcse level since 2008. i have since been out of education since then and i feel and know that i have had alot of skill fade in them now.

they are :

Information technology - A
Social Studies - A
English Language - B
Maths - B
History - B
Geography - B
Intergrated Science - B
Principle of Business - B
greengloves
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hiya

Good decision, Access courses are brilliant. If you have a good teacher you will be able to catch up, I left school in 2003, did not have any chemistry qualification and had done none in the time in between but my teacher explains it so well I've made up for lost time. If you are already reading and practising to prepare yourself you definitely won't be behind what's expected of you, the course is designed with the fact it's been a while and people are a bit rusty in mind. We use the CGP AS Chemistry book as a core material and that is helpful, online a-level resources that break info down in a simple, well-explained way, like s-cool.co.uk are a good starting point too.

The topics we have covered in chemistry are: Atomic Structure and Bonding; Formulae, Equations and the Mole; Periodic Table Trends and Redox Reactions; Energentics, Enthalpy Change, Kinetics and Equilibrium; Practical Inorganic Chemistry and Organic Chemistry.

The topics we cover in Biology are: Basic Biology (covers characteristics of living things, levels of organisation, etc); Biochemsitry (proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, enzymes); Inheritance (DNA, genetic conditions, monohybrid cross tests), Health, Disease and Immunity (includes how infections are spread, vaccinations and control programmes); Physiological Processes (heart, lungs, digestive system); and Scientific Contemporary Issues (research project on topic of your choosing).

Not sure how much your course may differ from that, depends on the framework of the awarding body.

The maths you will need to use includes logarithms, for the energetics work especially pH, statistics and data handling in the way of recording results in tables and graphs and analysing it, averages, understanding of how to convert between units, e.g. bar - atm - kPa, or dm3 and cm3, and rearranging algebraic equations.

Good luck
maturebloke
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi mature stuent age 41!!!! wondering where to do access to science either candi or cnwl got accepted last year to do access to science but just after I started those nice people at the unemployment benefit office put me on the work placement programme, so this year come hell or high water I'm going to run the gaunlet and complete the course!! apparently this is a why so many students drop out of full time access courses, so I was told by the tutor who interviewed me.
evening sunrise
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by leukybear)
Hey i'm planning on doing an access to science course in 2014 to hopefully get into uni to study pharmacy the following year. I would like to know in addition to chemistry, biology and maths, what else should i study or do in the mean time to prepare myself for this course. I currently looking at lambeth college to do that access when the times comes in 2014.

I'm currently learning chemistry from basics and working my way to understand and learn as much as i can at the moment.

Any specific topics in maths that i should really get familar with?

What should i expect on the access course? and any tips?

I Currently hold the following subjects at Gcse level since 2008. i have since been out of education since then and i feel and know that i have had alot of skill fade in them now.

they are :

Information technology - A
Social Studies - A
English Language - B
Maths - B
History - B
Geography - B
Intergrated Science - B
Principle of Business - B
Are you asking what to do in preparation for the pharmacy degree or to prepare for starting the Access course ?

If the latter, are you planning to do 2 years preparation for Access given you have fairly decent GCSE grades ? Why not just do the A levels over the next two years ?
evening sunrise
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by maturebloke)
Hi mature stuent age 41!!!! wondering where to do access to science either candi or cnwl got accepted last year to do access to science but just after I started those nice people at the unemployment benefit office put me on the work placement programme, so this year come hell or high water I'm going to run the gaunlet and complete the course!! apparently this is a why so many students drop out of full time access courses, so I was told by the tutor who interviewed me.
Better the devil you know than the devil you do not. So the college you went to last time would seem to be a good bet ?
leukybear
Rep:
?
(Original post by evening sunrise)
Are you asking what to do in preparation for the pharmacy degree or to prepare for starting the Access course ?

If the latter, are you planning to do 2 years preparation for Access given you have fairly decent GCSE grades ? Why not just do the A levels over the next two years ?

Yes, i'm asking what to do to prepare for the access course. The thing is, i'm currently serving in the army and i got 2 years before i'm out so would lke to use my spare time while on deployment and normal work to brush up and learn. Atm, i'm learning chemistry at gcse level from start and so far, so good

yes my gcse grades are good but i feel super rusty now since i have done them 4 years ago etc. and still have another 2 years before i go bk to education. I jus want to know basically any advice etc to help me through preparation wise or so. I know you might be able to do A lvls at 23 but then i would rather do the access course as for it being a year and the one i'm looking at is lambeth college which is near where i live..
Matureb
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How about taking a couple of OU modules in your spare time. Like the science foundation and/or maths foundation. A good pass in each and you could probably go straight to uni when you leave the army.
leukybear
Rep:
?
(Original post by Matureb)
How about taking a couple of OU modules in your spare time. Like the science foundation and/or maths foundation. A good pass in each and you could probably go straight to uni when you leave the army.
i can't as my time spare time is very limited due to work commitments unfortunately
evening sunrise
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by leukybear)
Yes, i'm asking what to do to prepare for the access course. The thing is, i'm currently serving in the army and i got 2 years before i'm out so would lke to use my spare time while on deployment and normal work to brush up and learn. Atm, i'm learning chemistry at gcse level from start and so far, so good

yes my gcse grades are good but i feel super rusty now since i have done them 4 years ago etc. and still have another 2 years before i go bk to education. I jus want to know basically any advice etc to help me through preparation wise or so. I know you might be able to do A lvls at 23 but then i would rather do the access course as for it being a year and the one i'm looking at is lambeth college which is near where i live..
That makes sense given you cannot start for 2 years due to your current work commitment.

I suspect that the GCSE revision guides will be a good starting point. Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology. Then pick up the standard text books for A level.
This should position you well for a course which assumes no prior knowledge other than some maths and english.

I left it off for 20 years, fortunately its a bit like riding a bike though

Good luck and all the best.
ASDAPIX
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by greengloves)
Hiya

Good decision, Access courses are brilliant. If you have a good teacher you will be able to catch up, I left school in 2003, did not have any chemistry qualification and had done none in the time in between but my teacher explains it so well I've made up for lost time. If you are already reading and practising to prepare yourself you definitely won't be behind what's expected of you, the course is designed with the fact it's been a while and people are a bit rusty in mind. We use the CGP AS Chemistry book as a core material and that is helpful, online a-level resources that break info down in a simple, well-explained way, like s-cool.co.uk are a good starting point too.

The topics we have covered in chemistry are: Atomic Structure and Bonding; Formulae, Equations and the Mole; Periodic Table Trends and Redox Reactions; Energentics, Enthalpy Change, Kinetics and Equilibrium; Practical Inorganic Chemistry and Organic Chemistry.

The topics we cover in Biology are: Basic Biology (covers characteristics of living things, levels of organisation, etc); Biochemsitry (proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, enzymes); Inheritance (DNA, genetic conditions, monohybrid cross tests), Health, Disease and Immunity (includes how infections are spread, vaccinations and control programmes); Physiological Processes (heart, lungs, digestive system); and Scientific Contemporary Issues (research project on topic of your choosing).

Not sure how much your course may differ from that, depends on the framework of the awarding body.

The maths you will need to use includes logarithms, for the energetics work especially pH, statistics and data handling in the way of recording results in tables and graphs and analysing it, averages, understanding of how to convert between units, e.g. bar - atm - kPa, or dm3 and cm3, and rearranging algebraic equations.

Good luck
GREENGLOVES

Which access course did you do?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (732)
33.83%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (926)
42.79%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (411)
18.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.39%

Watched Threads