andriacausby
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey. I want to become a guidance teacher when I'm older (I'm in 4th year, currently sitting my exams). How do I become a guidance teacher, and how many highers would I need? Thank you!
TheUnbeliever
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think the usual process is to become a class teacher and then move your career towards guidance by taking opportunities to engage with, develop and present schemes whenever you can, and expressing an active interest in the role. I mean this as opposed to coming the other direction, into teaching from a sort of behavioural psychology type background. I think the route for secondary teaching is usually an undergraduate degree in a relevant subject, followed by a PGDE (Postgraduate Diploma of Education). You can get an idea of what subjects universities look for by checking out their prospectuses online. Your school will have some form of careers advisor. Try to arrange a meeting with them to get some basic information, and use that as a jumping-off point when looking online. Hope this helps
aroy45
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
At my school there are 5 guidance teachers and they all previously were subject teachers - one only for a year. Their subjects are PE, Bio, Business, Geography and English. The best way would be getting a degree in a subject you like and then doing your teaching cerificate and then looking for jobs
TheFOMaster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
At my school guidance teachers all just follow a normal teaching routine. With more work for them to do. Maybe less teaching hours. The Guidance teachers all teach a variety of Subjects (Maths, English, P.E, Biology and History) so just do a degree your comfortable with. Get a PGDE and then show a general interest in the children. Talk to your career's advisor and guidance teachers
abbie179
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am currently In 4th year and looking towards this career what do i do?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate