The Student Room Group

Rant: what's wrong with being single?

There are so many threads on here about people being depressed and miserable because they don't have a boyfriend or girlfriend, and because they think they're going to be single forever, and to be honest, it strikes me as a little sad. Have you all forgotten the fact that you're all people in your own right, independent of anybody else?

I've just turned 20 and have been single for about a year and a half. My last relationship was a long term one, and obviously took a long time to get over, but once I got my head sorted it became clear that there are loads of advantages to being single. I'm free to do exactly what I want to with my own time, which means I can see my friends as much as I want. I can muck around with my guy friends without having to worry about whether my boyfriend doesn't like it, and I can go out with a huge group of girlfriends and flirt with anyone I like, just for the sake of it. If I go out or go to a party and end up staying over at someone's house, I can share a bed with a platonic male friend without feeling as though I've been disloyal when I really haven't. I don't have to shave my legs every day. I don't have massive phone bills. I don't have to hang around with someone else's friends, who I might not even like very much, just because they're his friends. If I'm in a bad mood and sulking about something, I don't have someone around to take it personally - in my experience, a boyfriend will assume it's about him, whereas friends will just leave me to it.

Of course it's always great when you find someone you really want to be with and they want to be with you too. It's a fantastic feeling. But to be honest, it's usually something that happens to happy, confident, positive people who live life on their own terms. If you're actively looking for someone, desperate for a boyfriend or girlfriend, and thinking there must be something wrong with you because you're single, then other people will assume there's something wrong with you too. If you learn to be happy and fulfilled on your own, you'll be much more attractive and people will come flocking. But be warned: you might not want them any more!

People always ask me how come I don't have a boyfriend, and I just say I'm happy single. Sure, if the right person came along, I wouldn't hesitate. But even if you do see life as a quest to find a boyfriend or girlfriend (and if you do, I pity you) then at least learn to enjoy the journey, otherwise you'll waste a lot of time wishing things were different, when you could be out having fun. You're only young once. You don't want to look back and realise you wasted it moaning about being single.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apricot Fairy

I've just turned 20 and have been single for about a year and a half. My last relationship was a long term one, and obviously took a long time to get over, but once I got my head sorted it became clear that there are loads of advantages to being single.

I think their problems are that they havent had a long term relationship before to see the advantages.

I personally love being single.
Reply 2
Hear hear!
Reply 3
Yeah, here here! :p:
Very well said. I have been single for a month now, and although of course my relationship was a very very good one in terms of independance and mates cus we had the same friends etc, I must say I do agree. I am not going to moan that I 'need' a man, because I don't. I am my own person, I don't need anyone else, only friends and family to help me through things, and having good friends is more important than having someone to kiss.

A lot of people say they need a man, and they arn't going to find one if they are looking that hard, or if they get desperate enough they will make the mistake of finding the wrong one. Stop looking, enjoy yourself and the time you have for yourself and one may just find that confidence attractive. I suppose when I was younger I always wanted a man, but now I'm older I just don't. People have said to me oh we will have to find you a new man and I have said no, I dont actually want one until uni is over, it's just easier this way, uni is a changing time, and I think relationships must go through a lot in uni.

anyways put all that effort you spend in finding men into yourself, and you will shine!
There isn't anything wrong with being single just as there isn't anything wrong with being in a relationships but it's the reasons people use to deem it either way that is wrong. I personally would love to have some sort of a relationship as the fact that someone might want me is very strange to me, I just can't see why they would. But you have had this and prefer being single. So I think, while there are a lot of threads on here of unhappy people it's only because there aren't loads of happy people posting! We just all have to agree to disagree.......
anjimcflanji
There isn't anything wrong with being single just as there isn't anything wrong with being in a relationships but it's the reasons people use to deem it either way that is wrong. I personally would love to have some sort of a relationship as the fact that someone might want me is very strange to me, I just can't see why they would.

Seriously, you're exactly the kind of person I'm talking about. You want a boyfriend so that you can feel as though you're not worthless. But you have to start feeling that on your own before you'll be able to have a functional relationship. The kind of people who go into a relationship thinking, "I can't believe you'd actually want to be with me!" are the kind of people who will quickly become clingy and in constant need of reassuring about themselves, and the relationship will suffer. If you're happy on your own, then when you eventually do find someone, you'll go into the relationship thinking, "Wow, aren't we lucky we found each other?" and you'll have a better chance of success. And you won't let a bad boyfriend push you around because you'll know you can do just fine without him.
Reply 7
I've been single for 2.5 years; it has it's ups and downs.. I don't moan much about it and would definitely not make a thread moaning about it lol
Reply 8
Apricot Fairy

Of course it's always great when you find someone you really want to be with and they want to be with you too. It's a fantastic feeling. But to be honest, it's usually something that happens to happy, confident, positive people who live life on their own terms. If you're actively looking for someone, desperate for a boyfriend or girlfriend, and thinking there must be something wrong with you because you're single, then other people will assume there's something wrong with you too. If you learn to be happy and fulfilled on your own, you'll be much more attractive and people will come flocking. But be warned: you might not want them any more!
:yy: best piece of advice :biggrin:
Reply 9
hmmm... the joys of singledom.... well apricot fairy i have been single on and off since the age of 16... stopped being single at 19. have been in a relationship for a year. I was enjoying being single but I do enjoy being in a relationship more. the point YOU are making is very very very correct"
Why do they go on ranting, moaning, sulking, complaing about being single? it has its advantages and what? can't you survive on your own? for f***s sake people should a grip of their lives. it is nice to have someone around but it also quite nice to be single. it doesnt mean that one would prefer being single to being in a loving relationship!
Very well said indeed...

though i'm a guy and i dont have too many problems meeting ladies, i've been single for a year now, after a 1-month relationship that ended in a crash...

In the world around us, there are MANY different kinds of people (as we know of course, duh). Though I don't believe in soul-mates and crap, I can say that there are only a FEW selected people out there that ARE compatible with EACH OF US, that ARE good enough to spend time with, that actually ARE worth the time and commitment...

What I mean is that you really have to date a lot of people to be able to find a right person to have a long-term relationship with (i'm talking about both guys and girls here).

Why do you think a so many relationships, or even first-time marriages go sour, for absolutely futile reasons?

I mean, come on... You've gotta have some sort of way of "choosing" the right and the best person for you...

I used to like a girl for 1 year...we never went out...I just liked her...I was obsessed with her ... but she always seemed to be dating other guys and never interested in me, no matter how hard tried... On day I just asked myself, "Do I really like her? Do I really wanna give her commitment? Does she deserve it?"

And instantly my wussy little inner child that had been screaming, crying, bawling out her name for a YEAR stopped doing it...

Someone might say, "But dude, guys ARE supposed to be the ones who 'chase' a girl"...

BS!

Only guys who are too weak, have no experience of dating, and think that placing their balls into a woman's hands will be a sure way to get them think that way...

And that's not the point here anyway...

The POINT is that, YOU have to to choose the person who's good enough for YOU...Listen to your heart and your guts... Don't listen to your brain...This is EMOTION we're dealing with...NOT logic... We can't LOGICALLY choose who we love someone...

To Guys: Don't go for girls JUST because she's the bustiest, curviest girl you've met and just happens to be VERY interested in you (she's ok for a one-night, but you REALLY gotta look deeper into her personality to see if she's GOOD ENOUGH for long-term)

To Girls: Don't go for a guy just coz he's rich and can provide you with free food and entertainment ...I have many female friends, and they all seem to complain that "most men are pigs"... I translate this as "most men are ass-kissing girly-men who have no personality"...choose wisely..

I'm casually dating 2 women at the moment... and that means CASUALLY... and BOTH of them dont seem like they make good long-term material for me...
Pretty Boy
I dont mean to annoy you (but why a change a habit?).

But theres something about your post that says to me you REALLY want a boyfriend and are just strongly resisting this deep need.

I think its better to be true to what your really want rather than fighting it because you've come up with a logical justification why you should enjoy being single.

fairy - try this - www.colorquiz.com and pm me an tell me what it said about ya.

Did you even read it? Of course I wouldn't say no to the right person, but I don't just "want a boyfriend" for the sake of it, or in order to somehow complete or validate myself. Trust you to completely miss the point.
Pretty Boy
But theres something about your post that says to me you REALLY want a boyfriend and are just strongly resisting this deep need.

I'm sorry but I have to agree with the Pretty Boy. Much to my dismay.

Apricot Fairy

But to be honest, it's usually something that happens to happy, confident, positive people who live life on their own terms

What? You have to be happy, confident and positive to meet someone? Considering the number of messed up girls I've been with, that's hardly true. I'm even one who's attracted to girls who are not too confident and who are rather complicated. With age, it gets even worse.

I've been with much older girls (should probably call them women), as I've been with much younger girls. Trust me, the older girls are even more bitter and messed up. Simply because they've been messed around so much, have made bad mistakes...

The whole "sex and the city" attitude that girls find so cool and make them think that even if you're heading towards 40, you should still be single and confident is a joke. All those kinds of women are in denial and are really all desperate to meet that special guy.
SamTheMan
I'm sorry but I have to agree with the Pretty Boy. Much to my dismay.

But Pretty Boy has proven himself time and again to be an idiot, and you have a history of being wrong about me, so it's hardly surprising...

No offence.

SamTheMan
What? You have to be happy, confident and positive to meet someone? Considering the number of messed up girls I've been with, that's hardly true. I'm even one who's attracted to girls who are not too confident and who are rather complicated. With age, it gets even worse.

I've been with much older girls (should probably call them women), as I've been with much younger girls. Trust me, the older girls are even more bitter and messed up. Simply because they've been messed around so much, have made bad mistakes...

The whole "sex and the city" attitude that girls find so cool and make them think that even if you're heading towards 40, you should still be single and confident is a joke. All those kinds of women are in denial and are really all desperate to meet that special guy.

To meet the right kind of person and have a properly functioning, healthy relationship, you need to be happy and positive, yes. If you're attracted to girls that aren't very confident, then maybe that's why you've been with so many messed up people.

And as for thinking single girls are desperate, would you say the same thing about men? Would you really? :rolleyes:
Pretty Boy
I did read it. Yeah, but I think you really want a boyfriend IMO.

It sounds like you're trying to look on the bright side.

I appreciate what you saying about the confidence and stuff tho - thats definitely true.

Pretty Boy, I get asked out about twice a week. I get a lot of attention from too many guys and it gets me into trouble. If I just wanted a boyfriend I could get one today.
I can't disagree with that at all. We have so much in common we should definitely hook up :biggrin:
Apricot Fairy
There are so many threads on here about people being depressed and miserable because they don't have a boyfriend or girlfriend, and because they think they're going to be single forever, and to be honest, it strikes me as a little sad. Have you all forgotten the fact that you're all people in your own right, independent of anybody else?

I've just turned 20 and have been single for about a year and a half. My last relationship was a long term one, and obviously took a long time to get over, but once I got my head sorted it became clear that there are loads of advantages to being single. I'm free to do exactly what I want to with my own time, which means I can see my friends as much as I want. I can muck around with my guy friends without having to worry about whether my boyfriend doesn't like it, and I can go out with a huge group of girlfriends and flirt with anyone I like, just for the sake of it. If I go out or go to a party and end up staying over at someone's house, I can share a bed with a platonic male friend without feeling as though I've been disloyal when I really haven't. I don't have to shave my legs every day. I don't have massive phone bills. I don't have to hang around with someone else's friends, who I might not even like very much, just because they're his friends. If I'm in a bad mood and sulking about something, I don't have someone around to take it personally - in my experience, a boyfriend will assume it's about him, whereas friends will just leave me to it.

People always ask me how come I don't have a boyfriend, and I just say I'm happy single. Sure, if the right person came along, I wouldn't hesitate. But even if you do see life as a quest to find a boyfriend or girlfriend (and if you do, I pity you) then at least learn to enjoy the journey, otherwise you'll waste a lot of time wishing things were different, when you could be out having fun. You're only young once. You don't want to look back and realise you wasted it moaning about being single.

There's nothing WRONG with being single! Desperate people happen to be single because they're too desperate to be taken! Get it into your thick heads, you whiners! I really hate it when people whine about being single. I was single since I was 13 and had my first boyfriend eight months ago. I've broken up for about three weeks now and I'm getting along just FINE. Being single is great cos now the burden of worrying about my significant other isn't there anymore. Sure, having someone to love is wonderful, but it isn't if one half CLINGS LIKE MAD to the other. that's just sad, honestly. Like you can't live without another person. Get a Dog.
Pretty Boy
Yeah, but you want a boyfriend that meets your standards IMO.

There's nothing wrong with these guys at all. I just don't like them enough. So basically unless I do find someone I like enough, I'm happy to be single. And that's the way it should be. It's not as though I said everyone should be single for their whole lives because being single is better than being in a relationship. But when you are single, you should appreciate it and enjoy it, rather than wishing it away and making yourself unattractive because you're miserable.
Apricot Fairy
There's nothing wrong with these guys at all. I just don't like them enough. So basically unless I do find someone I like enough, I'm happy to be single. And that's the way it should be. It's not as though I said everyone should be single for their whole lives because being single is better than being in a relationship. But when you are single, you should appreciate it and enjoy it, rather than wishing it away and making yourself unattractive because you're miserable.

I really like the way you're thinking. :smile: Cheerz
Reply 19
strawberry
Get a Dog.

:rofl:

sorry...:redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending