The Student Room Group

Anyone else doing AQA further maths gcse?

Just wanted to see if anyone else is actually doing it, and how they're finding it/ revising for it.

Scroll to see replies

Further Maths GCSE? :facepalm:
Reply 2
Original post by Flyteryder
Further Maths GCSE? :facepalm:

Yeah it's a new specification, i'm not just uberfailing. http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/igcse/maths.php
Reply 3
Original post by lukeface
Just wanted to see if anyone else is actually doing it, and how they're finding it/ revising for it.

Looking through the specimen paper, it looks to me just like GCSE normal maths, just without the questions like "Write 23 in words".

Jealous that this wasn't out before! :P
Reply 4
Original post by Oromis263
Looking through the specimen paper, it looks to me just like GCSE normal maths, just without the questions like "Write 23 in words".

Jealous that this wasn't out before! :P

Yeah it certainly offers more of a challenge than the normal GCSE! Plus there's like an A* with distinction grade which looks pretty cool.
Reply 5
My friend is doing it! I think 6 people are doing it in my year.. They are revising off revision books
I am doing it!
First exam 29th of May, Second on the 1st of June.
The problem i'm having is I normally revise from past papers for maths, er there are none except the specimen.
Also our maths teacher doesn't know to what level he should teach us, so basically we know the whole of Core 1 AS.
I'm stressing as I really want the A* with Distinction, anyone got any revision tips?

I'm doing this too!
I have no idea how to revise for it/what the grade boundaries would be ><
Reply 8
Original post by nataliekwong
I'm doing this too!
I have no idea how to revise for it/what the grade boundaries would be ><

I'm hoping the grade boundaries are pretty damn low! In the specimen papers i've been getting roughly 58/70 in paper 1 and 72/105 in paper 2. Paper 2 is insanely difficult!
Reply 9
Original post by ellenabethx
I am doing it!
First exam 29th of May, Second on the 1st of June.
The problem i'm having is I normally revise from past papers for maths, er there are none except the specimen.
Also our maths teacher doesn't know to what level he should teach us, so basically we know the whole of Core 1 AS.
I'm stressing as I really want the A* with Distinction, anyone got any revision tips?

You know there is more than just the one specimen paper? Get your teacher to download these 3 mock papers: http://aqamaths.aqa.org.uk/index.asp?CurrMenu=297
I'm hoping the grade boundaries are pretty damn low! In the specimen papers i've been getting roughly 58/70 in paper 1 and 72/105 in paper 2. Paper 2 is insanely difficult!

72/105 and 58/70 are extremely high marks to get in both papers><!
I wish that theyd give us an idea of what marks are what grades though><
You know there is more than just the one specimen paper? Get your teacher to download these 3 mock papers: http://aqamaths.aqa.org.uk/index.asp?CurrMenu=297

Hey,
Yeah he gave us loads of past papers and worksheets for study leave,
I got 81% on Paper 1, do you reckon that would be an A or A* due to the extra grade?
aaaah stressed
Reply 12
HI, has anybody got any revision sources or grade boundries? Im getting 92/93% average; is it enough for A* Distinction :confused: :frown: :eek:
Reply 13
I'm doing this as well.

What I would say is go through the specification, and for any topics you don't fully understand, revise them through videos etc on the internet.

Don't worry too much about past papers - it doesn't matter too much for Mathematics.

As a tip, make sure you are able to prove most things you do, as this specification likes to test your knowledge of proofs :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by jdar08
HI, has anybody got any revision sources or grade boundries? Im getting 92/93% average; is it enough for A* Distinction :confused: :frown: :eek:

Holy ******* ****, how have you got that high!!! My guess would be that you would definitely be on course for the a^ grade! Although then again, we don't know how high those marks would be when when they are converted to ums. It's impossible to tell without grade boundaries. :frown:
Reply 15
I'm doing it, and I'm really scared :s
Reply 16
I just did it.
Reply 17
i am oing it too normally get only about 40 out of 70 on te first paper and 70 on the second paper, but i havent done any work for it other than in class. ##the grade boundaries should be fairly low though because evry question on the paper is A*
Reply 18
Original post by Deziah
I just did it.

how did you find it , think i lost 30 marks from getting wrong answers but hopefuly got working out marks
Reply 19
Original post by icestar
how did you find it , think i lost 30 marks from getting wrong answers but hopefuly got working out marks

Some questions were easy, but some were nearly impossible. I know for a fact I haven't done well at all.

Quick Reply