english literature philip larkin

Watch
This discussion is closed.
*boo*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i have been assigned a question to do for english.

any help appreciated!

many of larkin's poems reveal a powerful sense of remoteness from the world in which he lives. how far do you agree?
rutera
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, all the way, larkin's never been satisfied with the world and his sense of rootlessness is obvious. which collection are you doing? whitsun weddings? If so, check out Nothing To Be Said, the poem that best emphasises this and also Here, Mr. Bleaney, Afternoons....
*boo*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by rutera)
Yes, all the way, larkin's never been satisfied with the world and his sense of rootlessness is obvious. which collection are you doing? whitsun weddings? If so, check out Nothing To Be Said, the poem that best emphasises this and also Here, Mr. Bleaney, Afternoons....
yes whitsun weddings. apart from analysing each of the poems you've mentioned what other points can i add?
thanks.
rutera
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
have you already mentioned larkin's typical traits: part of the 'young angry men' of the movement, always criticising modern society, his disillisionment with the world? He always has doubt at the end of his poems, stressing the point that he never feels at home anywhere and that everything is uncertain.
there's a lot to say, i usually find everything just by analysing the poems in depth.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (231)
39.09%
Take autumn exams (177)
29.95%
Look for a job (20)
3.38%
Consider an apprenticeship (23)
3.89%
Take a year out (105)
17.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (35)
5.92%

Watched Threads