Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Its hard to judge whether suicide really is selfish unless you've been at the point where you feel that low. For people who aren't depressed it may seem totally irrational to want to kill yourself but in the end surely whether we choose to live is up to us. Having said that it is hard to know what to say when you get phonecalls asking how far u can go over the dosage on paracetemol and still be ok, have friends who have drunk cups of bleach and slit their wrists, does seem kindof hard to understand but theyre ok now.

ReputationRep:
    As i said you cant accuse people of attention seeking unless you know the facts,

and the people who do it are mainly the people who apeer happy like 2/3 of my 'freinds'

you cant tell just by looking at people, its impossible. and commiting scuicide is just selfish, one thing that stopped on of my freinds is that she thought about everyone else and said she couldnt do it because she had a freind that tried 2 commit scuicide and she knew that it would hurt all of her freinds and family and thats what stopped her, whereas the attention seekers i feel like killing after i find out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yOUR_dESTINY)
    As i said you cant accuse people of attention seeking unless you know the facts,

and the people who do it are mainly the people who apeer happy like 2/3 of my 'freinds'

you cant tell just by looking at people, its impossible. and commiting scuicide is just selfish, one thing that stopped on of my freinds is that she thought about everyone else and said she couldnt do it because she had a freind that tried 2 commit scuicide and she knew that it would hurt all of her freinds and family and thats what stopped her, whereas the attention seekers i feel like killing after i find out
    I honestly don't mean to cause any offence, but I can't stand it when people just brush off attention-seeking, see it as something evil that, apparently, makes you want to kill (though I know you don't literally mean that).
    People just don't realise that if someone is willing to go to the lengths of feigning, or even actually attempting suicide then that is a huge problem in itself - - the fact that they feel they need to do that proves that something is seriously wrong with them.
    Maybe they need the attention?
    Maybe they really do need help?
    Think about that - no-one ever does.

ReputationRep:
    Also, selfishness is relative.

If you have a suicidal friend you care deeply about and they kill themselves then of course you'll be hurt and you'll assume that they knew you would be, but this is often not the case.

A suicidal person is quite likely to feel that their life is totally worthless, and be convinced that you couldn't care less about them - if they thought you cared then maybe they wouldn't have killed themsle fn the first place. Don't think that I'm accusing anyone of being uncaring - if someone's in that state of mind then nothin can convince them that their friends care, no matter how much they really do.

The suicidal person might even believe that the world would be a better place without them, and they they're actually do you - and everyone else - a favour by killing themselves.

Please consider this stuff - I do know what I'm talking about.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, if the go that far just to get attention there must be something seriously wrong, and i (personally) think that people shouldnt have the right to kill them selves ( but you cant stop it ) as i know people who have been through alot and beleive me, much worse than the 1 who tried 2 commit scuicide had been thru, and they just carried on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    People that commit suicide or have suicidal tendencies are life's losers.
    If we were in the same room, I'd smack you in the mouth! I lost a very dearly loved brother to suicide and he was NOT a loser.

Moderate your opinions!

ReputationRep:
    i agree with Elizabeth,

still i dont think that they have the right to do it but i wouldnt call them lifes losers because that is just unfair,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthie)
    if someone tells you they are going to kill themselves its very unlikely they will carry it out!
    telling sombody is a cry for help or an attention seeking game!

at least they are jsut saying there going to kill themselves! its the ones who succeed that screw you up!
    Words of wisdom... although of course there are those who have already commited to suicide and tell people as a finalisation step in which case there is little you can do anyway.

ReputationRep:
    i stick to my view that suicide is running away i cannot have sympathy for those who run away from problems!!

i will never forgive the friends i have lost to suicide, cos they get the easy way out and leave everyone else to clear up the ****! everyone gets rough times but the strong people get through them!
    I can't even begin to explain the limitations of such considerations, but yeh - you're right... every1 who commits suicides is a wimp who isn't as you say 'strong' enough to cope with the problems of life. And of course as strength is the measure of the value of human life, their lives are meaningless - yes very logical indeed.

Suicide is easy - you simply think "i want to die", close your eyes and blink, you're floating in the clouds - a painless experience indeed. There's no pain of knowing it will all end, no pain from the small problems of life that lead to it, no pain from hating every part of yourself, no not at all. It's the easy way out for those without the skills to solve their problems. Of course skill is the measure of the value of human lives.

Ah yes and ofcourse principles of the living, such as forgiveness and annoyance at having the inconvenience of having to 'clear up the ****' are the most meaningful measures of the worth of an act that extends beyond such boundaries. If someone inconveniences oh so important me by doing something that makes me unhappy in the slightest I'd never forgive them because of course I am so important and the cause of why they did such things is not relevant to me. Hell no, who are they to try and cope with their experience the way they can? If I don't agree, no forgiveness shall be dished and their act will be deemed wrong and their existence/actions of no value. I mean it doesn't even matter that their action has the utmost profound impact on them and it's effect on me is hardly measurable in comparison. Yes of course...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    Is this like dyslexic suicides?

Sorry that was crude but I know what it feels like, being alone depressed etc. etc.
    Everybody goes through it just in different stages, the fact they "tried" to kill themselves doesn't mean they want to, if someone wants to kill themself they WILL do it.

I swear to god it will be fine
    I am and I'm still here to say it

yea i agree, if some1 was really gonna commit suicide why wud they tell other ppl so that they wud be stopped from achieving suicide. its like telling some1 ure going to rob a shop so that u could get caught :confused: i dunno its confusin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    yea i agree, if some1 was really gonna commit suicide why wud they tell other ppl so that they wud be stopped from achieving suicide. its like telling some1 ure going to rob a shop so that u could get caught :confused: i dunno its confusin
    It can be part of 'finalisation' - tying up loose ends etc. It can therefore be the sign of some1 who is definately going through with it and there's nothing u can do to stop them. Other than that - yeh, seems like a deep/superficial cry for help.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i agree it is a cry for help if they tell you

Why do they want help or what do they want help for??

ReputationRep:
    3 of my main freinds have all at one point tried to commit scuicide and it aint nice at all,

It hurts the people arround them more than they realize.
    But in some cases it is juat people who are attention seeking ( wat i found out and nearly killed the guy myself !!!), he was purposfully trying to make people worry about him to get attention, like he said on msn, goodbye forevor and left, the next day he aint in skool and i am worried so i fone him and he acts all normal, he was bunking -.- .
    But one of the others actually went to hospital and nearly died from it.

attempted sucide is not nice, not just for that person but fo veryone around them, as i have learnt. ur mate wantes the attention form people either as he wants to tell u something or is just using this as a exuse for attention
    What do you guys think on the topic cos it destroys me when a freind is like that.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm comes to mind after reading this thread, for those that have never felt suicidal, or gone through the experience of suicide, how can you sit in judgement of others that have? you have no idea. For those that have felt suicidal or lost people to suicide, my deepest sympathies.

Its a phallacy that people who only talk about committing suicide wont actually go ahead and try it as the majority of people will, yes in some circumstances I agree that it is a cry for help, but having been both in the situation of suicidal and being one of those left behind, I feel I can comment from both angles.

You tend to feel that you have let yourself down and others, that death is an easier emotion to deal with, than upsetting your friends and family by thinking they are seeing you in a certain light (which quite probably they arent), its a way out a release, albeit an extreme one.

As one left behind, you go through the emotions of anger, pain, why? blaming yourself, wondering what you could have done to change the situation, all perfectly normal emotions.

To many, suicide is a means to an end, a way to stop the pain that noone can see. Of course there are some that attention seek, but dont discount someone that is down and comments upon it, it maybe the last time you see them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i agree it is a cry for help if they tell you

Why do they want help or what do they want help for??
    Try asking them.
    It can be the most useful thing you can do - just listen to whatever they have to say. It's just possible that you may save their life. Please never write them off as attention-seeking - they might be seeking that attention because they genuinely need it.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest i don't think that people with suicide feelings are doing it to get attention in the conventional way. IF there is an unsucessful attempt then it is a cry for help. Also unless you have ever experienced sever depression then you have no idea what a suicidal person is feeling. Many feel so worthless and feel that they can't carry on and that their presence is having a bad effect on the people around them. It's easy to critisice self harmers, people thinking about suicide but they are controlled by their depression and it is very hard to think rationally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emom100)
    to be honest i don't think that people with suicide feelings are doing it to get attention in the conventional way. IF there is an unsucessful attempt then it is a cry for help. Also unless you have ever experienced sever depression then you have no idea what a suicidal person is feeling. Many feel so worthless and feel that they can't carry on and that their presence is having a bad effect on the people around them. It's easy to critisice self harmers, people thinking about suicide but they are controlled by their depression and it is very hard to think rationally.
    If there is an unsuccesful attempt then you are very lucky,

ReputationRep:
    i stick to my view that suicide is running away i cannot have sympathy for those who run away from problems!!

i will never forgive the friends i have lost to suicide, cos they get the easy way out and leave everyone else to clear up the ****! everyone gets rough times but the strong people get through them!
    so basically what your saying is people who commit suiside don't deserve your sympathy because they are weaker and more vulnerable than u. Isn't that a bit harsh? It's easy for you to say suiside is a cowards way out as I doubt you've ever experienced hard enough times or any real reason to feel suisidal.

If someone is weak and has to run away from their problems I would feel sympathy for them. I think your a really, really selfish person; your friends have for whatever reason taken their own lives but all you can think about is yourself and how you feel slightly hurt by it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DevilsDoor)
    Hmmm comes to mind after reading this thread, for those that have never felt suicidal, or gone through the experience of suicide, how can you sit in judgement of others that have? you have no idea. For those that have felt suicidal or lost people to suicide, my deepest sympathies.

Its a phallacy that people who only talk about committing suicide wont actually go ahead and try it as the majority of people will, yes in some circumstances I agree that it is a cry for help, but having been both in the situation of suicidal and being one of those left behind, I feel I can comment from both angles.

You tend to feel that you have let yourself down and others, that death is an easier emotion to deal with, than upsetting your friends and family by thinking they are seeing you in a certain light (which quite probably they arent), its a way out a release, albeit an extreme one.

As one left behind, you go through the emotions of anger, pain, why? blaming yourself, wondering what you could have done to change the situation, all perfectly normal emotions.

To many, suicide is a means to an end, a way to stop the pain that noone can see. Of course there are some that attention seek, but dont discount someone that is down and comments upon it, it maybe the last time you see them.
    Agree with everything you say. I've felt suicidal, but it doesn't mean I want the feeling, I hardly revel in it. I felt like telling people to get over it. I've never tried killing myself because I think it would just be too hard a thing to put myself through in my final moments. In that respect I think you have to have a certain amount of strength to do it. But I still never told anyone because I surprisingly found it impossible to accept that anyone would understand what I was going through. So the only way I could get over the feeling was killing myself. I didn't because at the same time I didn't want to; it's obviously a contradiction which I don't think anyone could understand without going through it themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I would never commit scuicide because i know that it would hurt the people around me, i have considered running away but i would still let people know that i am ok. I think that people who commit scuicide are selfish. I wouldnt say they are weaker and more vunerable

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.