Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    boo!

ReputationRep:
    wow brave post! surely there will be qu an even spread - loads of diff kindsa ppl there etc. it shouldn't really matter...

ReputationRep:
    minority i presume...

ReputationRep:
    Should make this a pole. I reckon it would be a majority actually.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, I think it may be 50:50. Not that i've ever gone round doing my own survey!

ReputationRep:
    I went to uni virgin and still I am

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even get into Year 10 a virgin...... :rolleyes:
    Maybe it's grown back

ReputationRep:
    at my school it must have been only a quarter to a third who weren't. But then that is an all boys public school for you. As Chandler once said "sex at high school for me would have meant a serious lifestyle choice" (we weren't boarders in the middle of a field sumwhere but you get the picture)

ReputationRep:
    I remember some student organisation once did a survey on this very subject.... I think the results were basically the better the uni academically, the more people that arrived as virgins. Oxbridge did have the most virgins, but quite a few had the majority of entrants virgins.

Well, I've been going to all-girls Catholic schools all my life (14 years so far) so i guess you could say i've grown up in an environment where everyone around you thinks it's normal (and right) to stay a virgin until marriage... so i don't know whether my opinion will change when i go to uni but I doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trinigyal)
    Well, I've been going to all-girls Catholic schools all my life (14 years so far) so i guess you could say i've grown up in an environment where everyone around you thinks it's normal (and right) to stay a virgin until marriage... so i don't know whether my opinion will change when i go to uni but I doubt it.
    I wish I was catholic then I would have an excuse

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    I wish I was catholic then I would have an excuse
    I s'ppose so... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    if it keeps going at this rate I will be, but that will change soon :mad:

ReputationRep:
    god there must be someone who isn't

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to uni a virgin, but I can say all of my friends bar a few will not be!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I went to uni virgin and still I am
    That's because all you do is post on this damn forum :mad:.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm catholic and have been through catholic education and I'm still a virgin but it's not really a religious thing with me.
    I've had the opportunity - a 2year relationship and an offer from a very creepy guy but I've chosen not to take it until I'm clear on what my beliefs about it are.
    I mean, it can't grow back but it can be taken at any time....

About 2/3 of my friends have gone to uni virgins.
    It doesn't really matter - it's not like you have a sticker on your forehead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Should make this a pole. I reckon it would be a majority actually.
    As if... That's ridiculous. The vast majority of 18 year olds are NOT virgins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capslock)
    As if... That's ridiculous. The vast majority of 18 year olds are NOT virgins.
    That's probably right as the average age to lose it is 17, so maths would mean it's probably the minority...just.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    That's probably right as the average age to lose it is 17, so maths would mean it's probably the minority...just.
    Hmm. Since I just purchased a copy of Mathematica, lets evaluate this... So let's assume that the ages of people who loose there virginity follows a Poisson Distribution with a mean of 17 (which I assume according to you is correct).

Code:
    << Statistics`DiscreteDistributions`
    dist1 = PoissonDistribution[17]
    N[CDF[dist1, 18]]

0.654958*100 = 65.5% (3sf)

So, 65.5% of people have lost there virginity by 18. That would leave 34.5% (about a third) left who still haven't lost there virginity, a clear minority.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.