Going to Uni a Virgin? Minority or majority?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Peapod
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by capslock)
Hmm. Since I just purchased a copy of Mathematica, lets evaluate this... So let's assume that the ages of people who loose there virginity follows a Poisson Distribution with a mean of 17 (which I assume according to you is correct).

Code:
<< Statistics`DiscreteDistributions`
dist1 = PoissonDistribution[17]
N[CDF[dist1, 18]]

0.654958*100 = 65.5% (3sf)

So, 65.5% of people have lost there virginity by 18. That would leave 34.5% (about a third) left who still haven't lost there virginity, a clear minority.
Only a minority by 15% which is what I'd call "just" considering the numbers we're talking about.
RoyFester
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'm not sure if it's a majority or a minority, all I know is the percentage decreases every year!
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Defintely the majority both boys and girls went to my uni a virgin but lets just say that some of them didnt stay that way very long. Its not something that I'd worry about if you are because there are plenty of others around its no big deal.
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
woah capslock......no need to get too serious.......using maths, lol i finally c the relevance of S2 to everyday life....doh!
trinigyal
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Should make this a pole. I reckon it would be a majority actually.
Hmmm... maybe a poll would be the right thing to settle this once and for all.
emmz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i dont know if its just me but i feel loads of pressure to lose virginity ive neva had a proper opportunity coz im not 1 for going to nightclubs and such. just that i heard some ppl say at college ' its gonna be hard to find a virgin in this town' but i thought hello im one. i suppose i feel like a geek still holding on to virginity lol.
Insatiable
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by trinigyal)
You think so? If we use a pole instead we can throw in a limbo contest!
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by trinigyal)
i agree
trinigyal
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Insatiable)
You think so? If we use a pole instead we can throw in a limbo contest!
ROFLOL!!!
Well, that is true, but I'd obviously win since I come from the land of Limbo anywayz hahahaha... better just stick to a poll!
trinigyal
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
i dont know if its just me but i feel loads of pressure to lose virginity ive neva had a proper opportunity coz im not 1 for going to nightclubs and such. just that i heard some ppl say at college ' its gonna be hard to find a virgin in this town' but i thought hello im one. i suppose i feel like a geek still holding on to virginity lol.
I guess I know how you feel since I've been to nightclubs a couple of times and they just seem to be good places to lose your money fast on drinks (oh! and have your white clothes glow under the blacklights!!... sooo cool!)... anyway, I think they're mostly a waste of time. I dunno, maybe clubs in the UK are different?
But getting back to the main point, I've heard all that talk about how most ppl going to uni have already lost their virginity, and i've wondered about whether i'd feel out of it because i haven't.. but i figure it really doesn't 'change the price of chicken' (as they say here)... in otherwords, it doesn't matter! You're not alone.
Insatiable
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I haven't lost mine and I can't see that changing any time soon. If that makes me a "geek" then so be it.
byakugan_neji
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'm part of the minority and I'M PROUD! Sex is something I value and not something wasted on a drunken night of raging hormones. Hopefully, when I go to uni next year, I should go out with a girl for the first time!
BigJohn
Report 17 years ago
I am going to university a virgin and i hope to remain one until my wedding night.
I find i hold much more respect for girls who wait than those who get around fast.
capslock
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by wonkey)
woah capslock......no need to get too serious.......using maths, lol i finally c the relevance of S2 to everyday life....doh!
Hehe. I was bored
username3134
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Why on earth did you use a Poisson Distribution to model this? Was it just for the skae of showing off? It will follow a Normal Distribution though, but remember not everyone is exactly 18 when they enter university.
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
im going not a V!!!!
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Someone do a poll i dont know how n think it'll be interesting!
emom100
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
it amazes me how many single people there are at uni in the 1st year, probably the majority in my year are single...(doesn't mean they're all virgins though) i think people just like the freedom of being single when they first get to uni.
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emom100)
it amazes me how many single people there are at uni in the 1st year, probably the majority in my year are single...(doesn't mean they're all virgins though) i think people just like the freedom of being single when they first get to uni.
yeah thats the whole point, i don't really know of anyone who plans 2 still have a bf/gf when they start uni!
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kirstenb)
just wonderin how many ppl will be going to uni a virgin?
in films like american pie they make out like its such a bad thing to
go to uni a virgin but i cant say im all that arsed!!
just wonderin about ppls opinions of it all?

i couldnt tell you who out of my best mates here is or isnt...by the time most people get to uni they've grown out of the childish "ooooo so and so had sex" phase.

love Katy ***
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (0)
0%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (7)
63.64%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (2)
18.18%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (1)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
9.09%

Watched Threads