Turn on thread page Beta

Going to Uni a Virgin? Minority or majority? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alter-Ego)
    What the hell is wrong with you people? This thread proves just how out of touch a group of high academically achieving forumites are with the real world. Of course it's a minority who'd have never had sex before entering uni. Normally 18 year olds would still be virgins due to religion, extreme mingingness or being completely void of social skills. That's the minority. Except on this forum it seems.
    How wrong you could be.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell is wrong with you people? This thread proves just how out of touch a group of high academically achieving forumites are with the real world. Of course it's a minority who'd have never had sex before entering uni. Normally 18 year olds would still be virgins due to religion, extreme mingingness or being completely void of social skills. That's the minority. Except on this forum it seems.
    i'd agree that it's the minority of people who haven't had sex before going to uni and i'll be proud to be part of that minority. i don't think that makes me extremely minging, completely void of social skills or out of touch with reality, it just means i have a respect for myself and wont sleep with the first bloke that comes along. it's down to personal choice when people choose to begin a sexual relationship, not peer pressure,and i think it's pathetic that someone could hold such a childish and immature view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    i'd agree that it's the minority of people who haven't had sex before going to uni and i'll be proud to be part of that minority. i don't think that makes me extremely minging, completely void of social skills or out of touch with reality, it just means i have a respect for myself and wont sleep with the first bloke that comes along. it's down to personal choice when people choose to begin a sexual relationship, not peer pressure,and i think it's pathetic that someone could hold such a childish and immature view.
    hehe well said. I will give you some rep for that later.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah , i totally agree with you!!

ReputationRep:
    V.true. I dont hold anything against people who wish to stay virgins until they are older, nor do I have anything against people who enjoy sex as a 'recreation'!

However, I do have something against the type of people who **** off either of these groups and try to stereotype either of them (slut, whore, minging, stiff, etc, etc).

ReputationRep:
    Does it matter?

ReputationRep:
    Rather high intelligence than someone of average intelligence who's lost their virginity.

ReputationRep:
    As a rule of thumb, I would say people are virgins at 18 for reasons other than lifestyle choice (this certainly applies to boys). Such as those mentioned above: mingingness, lack of social skills/life and various other repulsive traits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lepr)
    As a rule of thumb, I would say people are virgins at 18 for reasons other than lifestyle choice (this certainly applies to boys). Such as those mentioned above: mingingness, lack of social skills/life and various other repulsive traits.
    *******s.

How about religion? Parents? Attending single gender (yeah, maybe) school? Or just not finding the right one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    *******s.

How about religion? Parents? Attending single gender (yeah, maybe) school? Or just not finding the right one?
    Well said HS, but not the parents. I wouldn't tell mine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lepr)
    No wonder you have a grey gem already. I would have given you negative rep for what you have just said but I have already promised it to somebody else.

You quite clearly like tact, which of course is a social skill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    If you have parents who did wait until they were married before having sex and constantly reminded you that you should definitely wait until after marriage before having sex because otherwise it's wrong, evil and sin! (et cetera) ...it does make a difference. Especially if your dad has promised to disown you should you sleep with someone before university at least.

Not that it's actually made any difference to what I believe. From this we can assume that I am either very stubborn, like rebelling or have simply had some common sense to trust my own judgement.
    Ha, no they never preach any of that stuff to me! I still wouldn't tell them :cool: I'm sure I've said somewhere else I'd never wait till marriage for sex, I'd be 30 or something. I refuse to get tied down beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Well said HS, but not the parents. I wouldn't tell mine!
    LOL, you know what some are like!

Some people just don't want to give it up, and value it very much.

Also some may feel that all the opposite sex don't have the qualities they look for, for instance they could mix and come from an estate and feel all the possible partners are too chavy etc. and are purposely saving themselves for university.

ReputationRep:
    If you have parents who did wait until they were married before having sex and constantly reminded you that you should definitely wait until after marriage before having sex because otherwise it's wrong, evil and a sin! (et cetera) ...it does make a difference. Especially if your dad has promised to disown you should you sleep with someone before university at least.

Not that it's actually made any difference to what I believe. From this we can assume that I am either very stubborn, like rebelling or have simply had some common sense to trust my own judgement.
    Is that what you parents say? It's good to see that you are intelligent enough to make up your own mind and judgements.

ReputationRep:
    I know, but that wasn't the point I was addressing. HS said that parents were a factor in whether to wait in having sex or having it early, et cetera.

How does telling them or not come into it, Min?
    Because if you don't tell them then who cares if he says he'll disown you? To be honest you'd question what they're telling you unless you're a drone/don't meet people of a differing opinion. But questioning obviously doesn't mean you won't accept their view in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    No wonder you have a grey gem already. I would have given you negative rep for what you have just said but I have already promised it to somebody else.

You quite clearly like tact, which of course is a social skill.
    It amuses me that people find honesty so reproachable on these boards. Oh, and I think you mean 'lack' tact not 'like' tact.

I'm just using my own experience here. Those in my year who are virgins aren't orthodox christians or unable to spot a member of the opposite sex; rather, they are ugly individuals with no social skills; please accept what is, in my estimation, a brute fact of courtship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lepr)
    It amuses me that people find honesty so reproachable on these boards. Oh, and I think you mean 'lack' tact not 'like' tact.

I'm just using my own experience here. Those in my year who are virgins aren't orthodox christians or unable to spot a member of the opposite sex; rather, they are ugly individuals with no social skills; please accept what is, in my estimation, a brute fact of courtship.
    I disagree. Okay, I'm younger but those who've been laid aren't any better looking or have better social skills than those who haven't.

ReputationRep:
    I am almost certain that the majority of 18 year olds who are virgins have been forced into such a position, rather than chosen it voluntarily.

ReputationRep:
    You should listen to Lepr apparently he is more intelligent than anyone on this forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lepr)
    I am almost certain that the majority of 18 year olds who are virgins have been forced into such a position, rather than chosen it voluntarily.
    Hmm... okay, I agree to an extent.

Although one could be forced because they find none of the possible partners attractive.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.