The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Biology Unit 1 June 12- 14th of May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by bertiejess
would it not be 5/20 not 5/25 if it's the change divided by the original amount?

Sorry yeah, i'll edit the post :getmecoat:
Good Luck :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 102
Original post by oli_G
The way I go through them is:

1) Explain the general correlation between the two variables
2) State any points where there are major changes - giving values from the graph. There will normally be about two
3) Make sure I have done something that will get the 'manipulation of figures' mark - which means you have to do a calculation, not just read off the graph. Eg, x is 9 units greater than y...
4) If there's a period where there is no increase or decrease (the gradient is zero) mention this, quoting values for the beginning and start of this period.

That should normally give you full marks.

i think your way is the best, thanks alot bro am sure this will help alot :biggrin:
Original post by fifty_six
some question and answers for unit 1 hope it helps..

thanks dude :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by amr9595
i think your way is the best, thanks alot bro am sure this will help alot :biggrin:

I do the exact same thing :biggrin:
Reply 106
any idea on what the big 5markers queestion will be? I am pretty translation or transcription are coming up lol
Original post by arnab
any idea on what the big 5markers queestion will be? I am pretty translation or transcription are coming up lol

yeah pal!!! :P
Original post by arnab

what do u think abt the experiments?? i mean the one which will carry the five marks. :P they will ask u to describe the whole experiment as is seen in some past papers.
I'm soo failing tomorrow!! :s-smilie:
Reply 110
Original post by MarshmallowBob
I'm soo failing tomorrow!! :s-smilie:

My friend you arent the only one bound to fail. I am totally withyou on thos .. I am so scared
can someone please help me with question 4 (b) of june 11 unit 1? i don't get it at all!
Reply 112
ive hit the wall. cba to do anymore revision

fml
Reply 113
Original post by satanicqueen
can someone please help me with question 4 (b) of june 11 unit 1? i don't get it at all!

Well to do this question you have to know about messelon and stahl's DNA relplication experiment.

If you have the edexcel Book read page 86-88 it will really help for this question.

Meselon and Stahl used heavy and light strands of DNA to investigate whether DNA replication is semi conservative.

They did this by using DNA from E.Coli bacteria that had been grown in a medium containing heavy isotope of nitrogen, 15N.

All the nucleotides in the bacteria at the start of their experiment contained heaving nitrogen; this made DNA denser than normal.

So for stage 1's test tube you will draw a band on the lower part of the test tube

Then they moved the bacteria into a medium containing only normal 14N.

This meant all the new nucleotides incorporated into the replicated DNA were “light” but the original DNA nucleotides were heavy.

They allowed the bacteria to divide and their DNA to replicate once.

They then extracted then centrifuged the DNA.

Meselon and Stahl’s result was a single band of medium density DNA.

(So this is what you need in Stage 2) A line in the middle of the Testube

No heavy DNA existed any longer, so they were able to reject conservative replication.

The DNA extracted and centrifuged after two rounds of replication gave two bands one medium and one light. So for the third test tube you need a band in the middle and a band above that to represent the light

The presence of both medium and light DNA bonds confirmed semi conservative model.

Because there is a medium band, you will have a DNA Molecule containing one light stand and one heavy strand. And, you also have a light band, so you will show a DNA molecule made up of just light DNA strands.

Hope this Helps.

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kabelan1
Well to do this question you have to know about messelon and stahl's DNA relplication experiment.

If you have the edexcel Book read page 86-88 it will really help for this question.

Meselon and Stahl used heavy and light strands of DNA to investigate whether DNA replication is semi conservative.

They did this by using DNA from E.Coli bacteria that had been grown in a medium containing heavy isotope of nitrogen, 15N.

All the nucleotides in the bacteria at the start of their experiment contained heaving nitrogen; this made DNA denser than normal.

So for stage 1's test tube you will draw a band on the lower part of the test tube

Then they moved the bacteria into a medium containing only normal 14N.

This meant all the new nucleotides incorporated into the replicated DNA were “light” but the original DNA nucleotides were heavy.

They allowed the bacteria to divide and their DNA to replicate once.

They then extracted then centrifuged the DNA.

Meselon and Stahl’s result was a single band of medium density DNA.

(So this is what you need in Stage 2) A line in the middle of the Testube

No heavy DNA existed any longer, so they were able to reject conservative replication.

The DNA extracted and centrifuged after two rounds of replication gave two bands one medium and one light. So for the third test tube you need a band in the middle and a band above that

The presence of both medium and light DNA bonds confirmed semi conservative model.

Because there is a medium band, you will have a DNA Molecule containing one light stand and one heavy strand. And, you also have a light band, so you will show a DNA molecule made up of just light DNA strands.

Hope this Helps.

OMG! thank u so much!! :smile:
Reply 115
Original post by shahlakh
what do u think abt the experiments?? i mean the one which will carry the five marks. :P they will ask u to describe the whole experiment as is seen in some past papers.

well they have already asked all the experiment in the book, other then giving a detailed explanation of an enzyme experiment, so has to be that or a repeat of what they said before
Reply 116
Original post by fifty_six
some question and answers for unit 1 hope it helps..

Sorry for the hassle, but where are the questions for the Heart? I seem to see the answers for them, but not the questions.

Thanks
In translation they do not ask us about anticodon's etc ?
Reply 118
Original post by bertiejess
I would always start off by saying about the CFTR channel, therefore:

1. In a CF sufferer, the CFTR channel is missing or non functional

2. Na+ move into the epithelial cell and cannot move back out, causing water to be drawn from the surrounding mucus by the process of osmosis.

3. This causes the mucus to become sticky.

4. Beating ciliae struggle to move the mucus out of the lung because it's too sticky, causing it to remain in the lungs, trapping bacteria and blocking alveoli.

5. Therefore less alveoli are available for gas exchange and so less oxygen is taken into the lungs.

Hope this is enough for 5 marks!!

It doesn't really mean that. You could mention the CFTR protein isn't functional, but writing all the details (Step 2) is not what the question asks.
Mention 1) bacterial infections 2) cilia unable to move mucus 3) reduced surface absorption as alveoli blocked.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by YellowAndBlack
In translation they do not ask us about anticodon's etc ?

I think that you need to know that the anticodon is on the tRNA and it pairs with the codon on the mRNA, forming an amino acid

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending