The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Biology Unit 1 June 12- 14th of May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Kabelan1
Sorry for the hassle, but where are the questions for the Heart? I seem to see the answers for them, but not the questions.

Thanks

the file size is bigger... u can download it from the link.. its the exam wizard..

http://www.studentforums.biz/pastpapers/edexcel-as-a-level-past-papers(january-2010-upto-june-2011-examwizard-qs)-!/
Who took edexcel IGCSE biology last year?
Reply 122
Does anyone have an easy and extensive (possibly straight from a mark scheme) answer for this specification:
Spec 13: describe the benefits and risks of treatments for CVD (anti hypertensives, plant statins, anticoagulants and platelet inhibitory drugs).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 123
Original post by fifty_six
the file size is bigger... u can download it from the link.. its the exam wizard..

http://www.studentforums.biz/pastpapers/edexcel-as-a-level-past-papers(january-2010-upto-june-2011-examwizard-qs)-!/

Thank you very much
Original post by Emilii
Does anyone have an easy and extensive answer for this specification:
Spec 13: describe the benefits and risks of treatments for CVD (anti hypertensives, plant statins, anticoagulants and platelet inhibitory drugs).

The benefits of these drugs is that they reduce your risk of developing CVD, which could be fatal, by lowering cholesterol levels, lowering BP or preventing vasoconstriction of blood vessels. However, such drugs are expensive to the NHS and have many side effects, including headaches, muscle cramps (antihypertensives), risk of gastrointestinal and respiratory cancers (statins) and risk of bleeding (anticoagulants).

That's all I can think of, does anyone else have any other points?
Reply 125
Omg im failing this so much Q___Q anyone got a simple summary of the core practicals pleaasee?? Help much appreciated =__='' ??? :frown::confused:
Reply 126
Original post by RainieXD
Omg im failing this so much Q___Q anyone got a simple summary of the core practicals pleaasee?? Help much appreciated =__='' ??? :frown::confused:

Hey, Page 1 of this PDF, is for Unit 1.:smile:
Reply 127
Original post by oli_G
Realise that even if the question looks alien it will be on an area that you have covered, but may be worded in a different way. For me, I sometimes over complicate an answer, so remember that there will be very simple questions (for the D/E grade candidates) that are simple but the marks are easily lost.

For data analysis state the general correlation, describe any 'major' changes between the two variables QUOTING THE RANGE OF THE X VALUES WHEN THIS OCCURS and always do a calculation - such as finding the difference between two data points. Stating information off the graph is not enough for the mark.

For the assesed practical question you need to write about 4-5 points on the method of the experiment. Mention some control variables and make sure you say about repeats etc Also try and write in a logical and systematic way, as these questions are often where the quality of written communication is assessed.

Lastly, be specific with your answers and try not to 'waffle' - i am prone to doing this. Don't think that you have to use up all the space. From what i've seen you can normally answer most of the marking points in about a third of the space.

Good luck :smile:

thank you for that, thats really useful
Reply 128
Hey, Page 1 of this PDF, is for Unit 1.:smile:

Omg Omg thankyou so muchhh !!!! :redface:
all the best every1
Reply 130
Pleeeease can someone help me with this! How would you draw the glycocidic bond in this disaccharide? Because the two OH groups are on opposite sides.... the mark scheme just said 'molecule drawn correctly'... so not very helpful. Thanks!

Untitsdfsdfled.jpg
Reply 131
Original post by ummm
Pleeeease can someone help me with this! How would you draw the glycocidic bond in this disaccharide? Because the two OH groups are on opposite sides.... the mark scheme just said 'molecule drawn correctly'... so not very helpful. Thanks!

Untitsdfsdfled.jpg

Have a look at this
Original post by ummm

Untitsdfsdfled.jpg

I would remove the H from the -OH and the H opposite and then the O from the top -OH so that it looks the same as if the groups were on the same side. Not sure if that's right though!
Reply 133
Have a look at this

You do realise that for the left glucose molecule, the hydroxyl group is located below the hydrogen on 'carbon 1' right? meaning the bond glycosidic bond will have a 'v' shape
Reply 134
Original post by Andy16
You do realise that for the left glucose molecule, the hydroxyl group is located below the hydrogen on 'carbon 1' right? meaning the bond glycosidic bond will have a 'v' shape

The molecule on the left is galactose, and the molecule on the right is glucose, when they undergo the condensation reaction I thought they were diagonal to each other.

if u have the edexcel book for snab have a look at page 32, to see the diagram of this reaction.
Reply 135
can sum1 explain the full genetic diagrams and how to draw with label
Reply 136
The molecule on the left is galactose, and the molecule on the right is glucose, when they undergo the condensation reaction I thought they were diagonal to each other.

if u have the edexcel book for snab have a look at page 32, to see the diagram of this reaction.

My apologises you are correct lol, and my mistake is the hint for me to go to bed... right going to give myself a good 40 minutes before tomorrow, good luck :smile:
do we need to know about apolipoproteins A B and E?
Reply 138
Original post by Andy16
My apologises you are correct lol, and my mistake is the hint for me to go to bed... right going to give myself a good 40 minutes before tomorrow, good luck :smile:

Its cool, Good luck to you to.
Reply 139
Have a look at this

Thank you!!!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending