Want more information about this university?
This discussion is closed.
catfish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
In september i should hopefully b going to birmingham uni and i just wanted to get a variety of opinions of what people think about the uni??

And if your studying economics like myself i especially would like your opinions!!
Fishcat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think it's too close to home 4 u Yapper!

But if u get on well with your family, that shouldn't matter!

Though it is a nice uni!
MrIceKool
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
you studying economics in sept as well?
might see u there if i get the grades lol
it seems that a lot of people on here don't really regard this uni but none the less its still a damn good uni!
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MrIceKool)
you studying economics in sept as well?
might see u there if i get the grades lol
it seems that a lot of people on here don't really regard this uni but none the less its still a damn good uni!
People on here dont regard it highly cus alot of people seem to have uni superiority complexes. Maybe they are so shallow that they have to rely on where their degree was from to get any respect?! miaoww!!

Sorry but it seems true. Birmingham is a nice - and outside of this forum- is highly regarded. The times ive visited ive found the people to be nice and not as arsy and *rah* as at some at other respected traditional unis. Some of the nagatives are theta the accom is so expensive and not that near to campus!

Peace n Luv'
seana
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i am thinking of bham as well to do law but if i follow the opinions of this forum i would stay clear!!

you are right outside of this forum it is a respected uni.
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by seana)
i am thinking of bham as well to do law but if i follow the opinions of this forum i would stay clear!!

you are right outside of this forum it is a respected uni.
Dont take any notice. I have a family friend who is a senior partner in a law firm, I asked him for uni advice which i should accept, Bham being one of my options, he said that B'ham is very well respected for its law side, the grades for entry AAA are as high as any, attracting a high calibre student. His firm is in Birminham but he believes that there would be virtually nothing to choose between an Bham, Nott, Warwick, Bristol, Durham graduate. They are more keen to know degree results, (for each year) experience, (both work and sport / societies) .
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
I like Birmingham Uni - there is a very nice friendly welcoming atmosphere and the campus is lovely (even in winter - although I prefer Southampton because we've got more trees).

Although this: http://www.research.bham.ac.uk/facts.htm made me laugh....one of the finest exapmles of how to twist the figures to suit yourself....they've basically said for all round general ok-ness Birmingham is in the top 10 for research....despite the fact that only a small proportion of departments are at an international standard - they just don't have many crap departments
Birmingham is cool- and well respected, traditional, highish for most subjects, very high for some. It is the best uni in the whole world ever (well, it will be when i go in sept!!) it is one of the nicest i have been round. everyone always seems friendly and my dad has worked there for 10 years so it must be good!!
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
Birmingham is cool- and well respected, traditional, highish for most subjects, very high for some. It is the best uni in the whole world ever (well, it will be when i go in sept!!) it is one of the nicest i have been round. everyone always seems friendly and my dad has worked there for 10 years so it must be good!!
Haha lol.
If it aint the best now, they say it will be in 5 years. In the times it says its is undergoing a 5year development plan to make it "oxbridge of the midlands"- so when we leave it will be good, typical!! xx
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ladyluck)
Haha lol.
If it aint the best now, they say it will be in 5 years. In the times it says its is undergoing a 5year development plan to make it "oxbridge of the midlands"- so when we leave it will be good, typical!! xx

might have to do a phd as well then- just to take advantage of the upgrade!!
MrIceKool
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Birminghams should thank their lucky stars that they're getting me next september
lol jkz
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MrIceKool)
Birminghams should thank their lucky stars that they're getting me next september
lol jkz

and me! watch out y'all! xx
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ladyluck)
and me! watch out y'all! xx

and me- yay!!!!

everyone put their name here who is going to bham- we can start a 'we are going to birmingham' club!!

(maybe i need to go and take my medicene, i seem to be getting very excited over this....<waddles off to get medicine..>)
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
and me- yay!!!!

everyone put their name here who is going to bham- we can start a 'we are going to birmingham' club!!

(maybe i need to go and take my medicene, i seem to be getting very excited over this....<waddles off to get medicine..>)
Me, probably, for English
benjammin
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well i applied for politics at Birmingham and got a generous offer, BBC. My subjects are politics business studies computing, critical thinking AS and this year economics AS. But now i think i should be doing economics! lol so u can see my problem. I wonder whether birmingham would let me swap as i have got a generous offer for politics. i think i'll have to speak to them bout it.
Lupin Loopy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by benjammin)
well i applied for politics at Birmingham and got a generous offer, BBC. My subjects are politics business studies computing, critical thinking AS and this year economics AS. But now i think i should be doing economics! lol so u can see my problem. I wonder whether birmingham would let me swap as i have got a generous offer for politics. i think i'll have to speak to them bout it.
I managed to swap Biology courses (3 year to 4 year) after I'd received my first offer from Bham - they were absolutly fine about it, I just had to email them to confirm that I wanted the change, and they put it through for me (although it did take a couple of weeks for the change to go through UCAS)

I'm sure it'll be fine, just ring up the admissions team for your dept.
Jazthaman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm prolly gna go Bham 2 do economics, seems like a really kool city, with the uni having a good rep. I'm still not sure weather i shud choose Bristol - accounting and finance over Bham, but dnt think it wud be as gud socially, as bham wud be.

When are you all sending off your accomodation forms for bham. If i do put bham as insurance, u think they wud screw me over wit the accomodation even tho id be coming from London?
capslock
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Isn't Birmingham... well to put it bluntly, a bit of a sh**hole?
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Gnostic)
And it's not the LSE, let's not forget that.
Not least because it's in Birmingham.

Fairly insurmountable logistical problems there, I would think.

Perhaps they could rename themselves BSE, though?

Hmm...maybe not...
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by catfish)
In september i should hopefully b going to birmingham uni and i just wanted to get a variety of opinions of what people think about the uni??

And if your studying economics like myself i especially would like your opinions!!
i was thinking of applying to birmingham to study economics, but i now decide not to -to be honest, i hate the city!
benjammin
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
fair enough but where it is located is the nice part of Brum, trust me I know i live like 20 mins away
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (147)
24.71%
Better than expected (129)
21.68%
Worse than expected (319)
53.61%

Watched Threads