The Student Room Group

To get an extension/not to get an extension?...

I have a 3000 word assignment due in next week. I have not done any research/reading/anything at all. In my defence I have a lot going on right now.

I am at the end of my second year, and I've only ever spent around 1-2 days/a night on an essay/assignment. I usually do pretty well. However, I don't understand this assignment title, I have no idea at all where the essay is going (I usually decide the answer then research according to my pre-defined conclusion) and I only have the seven days to write it in, and research. Seven days may sound like a lot, but I am also on clinical placement for my healthcare related degree, am down on my hours and will be working 40-50 hours on placement.

Should I apply for an extension, asap? Or, will it probably be do-able? If so, how?

I'll be eternally grateful for any tips/advice/kind words of wisdom. Thank you.
Reply 1
You're unlikely to be granted an extension unless you have an out of the ordinary reason for not having completed the work. It's a harsh system at times, especially when there's a lot on, but it's the reason it's in place; to reward those people who can make the deadlines.

You can give it a go, I'd start by talking to your tutor, or the lecturer who set you the assignment, but they're likely to say similar to what I've said. Unless there's some extenuating circumstances (NOT just a busy week, as they'll say you should have planned ahead better) then I can't see you having much luck.
Reply 2
I am scared about applying for an extension, especially so near to the deadline.
I do have a reason/mitigating circumstance (illness of a close relative that I help to care for) and that genuinely has impacted on my ability to write the assignment. Still worried though as marking lecturer and module leader are very strict.
Reply 3
Original post by La_Chiquita
I am scared about applying for an extension, especially so near to the deadline.
I do have a reason/mitigating circumstance (illness of a close relative that I help to care for) and that genuinely has impacted on my ability to write the assignment. Still worried though as marking lecturer and module leader are very strict.

The worst that they can do is say no. You may as well ask, make sure you stress the point about the ill relative, as without that you've got no chance really.
Reply 4
Cheers for the replies everyone.

I've applied for an extension...now have one more question...

Does getting an extension affect you in any way, does it affect your grade, are there any negative consequences at all for getting an extension? Ta very muchly.
Reply 5
Cheers for the replies everyone.

I've applied for an extension...now have one more question...

Does getting an extension affect you in any way, does it affect your grade, are there any negative consequences at all for getting an extension? Ta very muchly.

No, but there will be negative consequences if you don't get an extension and submit your work late. So unless you're 100% confident that your application will be successful it would be safer to aim for the original deadline.
(edited 11 years ago)
It's possible, certainly at my uni, to apply for an extension on the day of the deadline - I ended up applying for an extension 2 hours before the deadline, for reasons that are similar to yours, and was granted it.

There are not, as far as I am aware, any direct negative consequences in terms of marking if you get an extension. However, you need to make sure that the other work you need to do isn't impacted on by the extended bit of coursework dragging on.
At my uni you can get an extension with just the lecturers permission for up to a week, if it's any longer you have to apply for mitigation.
I've applied for 2 extensions this year (a week for each) both on the terms of either ill health (with a doctors note) and a lack of childcare (I can't leave my child at home alone!) and they granted me them very begrudgingly.
Reply 8
Just wanted to say thanks for the replies :smile:. I applied and was granted a 10 day extension. Uni were actually really nice about it. I'm still a bit worried about negative repercussions, but at least now I can de-stress a bit :smile:
Reply 9
Just wanted to say thanks for the replies :smile:. I applied and was granted a 10 day extension. Uni were actually really nice about it. I'm still a bit worried about negative repercussions, but at least now I can de-stress a bit :smile:

There's not really much in the way of repercussions you need to worry about. With things like this they're treated on a case by case basis, so as this has been granted and signed off, you can forget about it and get back on schedule with the rest of the work :smile:.
I had family member die and my tutor gave me an extension and I declined it however ,I was put in place .I managed to get it handed before the deadline however ,as the extension was on the system my work went unmarked until the extension date .so everyone got their mark before me.to my annoyance. I can't get a lower mark because of the extension can I ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending