The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Changing courses twice?

Hi guys,

I recently firmed my offer for English and History at York, and as long as I get the grades I'll be starting there in October.

But here's the thing. When I sent off my UCAS form at the beginning of the academic year, I applied for straight English Literature, and that's what my offer was for. However, over the course of the year I found myself growing slightly less keen on English and much, much more keen on History. When I contacted York asking if I could switch to English and History, they were happy to let me change course.

Now, though, I'm really starting to think that a straight History course would be what I would enjoy the most. I've held off contacting York about this, though, because I thought it might not reflect well on me if I sent them a second request for a course change. But do you guys reckon that contacting them now would be my best bet, or would I be better off waiting until I actually get there, and seeing if I could change course then?

Also, is changing course from a joint honours degree to a single honours degree easier than changing from one single honours degree to another one?

Thanks in advance for your help, everyone!
Reply 1
Yeah, I suppose that's the best way to look at it. And I guess I've got nothing to lose by asking!

Thanks, Billton. :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Just ask. It can't hurt.

Get it out of the way as early as possible- they might be able to accommodate you.
Make sure that you can show your commitment to History!
Reply 4
Original post by AirRaven
Just ask. It can't hurt.

Get it out of the way as early as possible- they might be able to accommodate you.

Yeah, I definitely will. I'll give them a call or e-mail them tomorrow. Cheers!

Original post by Alexandra's Box
Make sure that you can show your commitment to History!

I'll do my best - thanks!
OP- could I ask you a question- did you ask to change before or after they made you an offer?

And, more specific to you :redface: they must like you if they gave you an offer for one of their most competitive courses, and I doubt they'd withdraw the offer.
its not like that can withdraw your offer, just ask, you've got nothing to lose

btw, contact the history department first
Reply 7
Original post by chinaberry
OP- could I ask you a question- did you ask to change before or after they made you an offer?

And, more specific to you :redface: they must like you if they gave you an offer for one of their most competitive courses, and I doubt they'd withdraw the offer.

I asked to change quite a while after I received my offer, actually! :redface: I think I got my offer around November time, and I didn't ask to change until January.

And yeah, York have been really good to me. Just another reason to love the place, I guess!

Are you thinking of changing courses?

Original post by internet tough guy
its not like that can withdraw your offer, just ask, you've got nothing to lose

btw, contact the history department first

Good idea, I'll do that. :smile:

Turns out I didn't get in touch with them today after all, though; going to chat about the situation with my head of house at school first!
Original post by jm25
I asked to change quite a while after I received my offer, actually! :redface: I think I got my offer around November time, and I didn't ask to change until January.

And yeah, York have been really good to me. Just another reason to love the place, I guess!

Are you thinking of changing courses?

:biggrin: York is fab ain't it.

Yar I think so, after something my mum said....I'd be doing French/German, but I'd want to drop French, do it in Languages for All, and do English Lit instead. Doubt they'd go for it since it's so competitive and I wouldn't even have it in A level, and I got a B in it last year....but then at degree level it would be entirely different. Anyhoo. If you get an offer for History, maybe they'll change the grades you need....like AAB instead of AAA? good luck, whatever you decide!
Reply 9
Original post by chinaberry
:biggrin: York is fab ain't it.

Yar I think so, after something my mum said....I'd be doing French/German, but I'd want to drop French, do it in Languages for All, and do English Lit instead. Doubt they'd go for it since it's so competitive and I wouldn't even have it in A level, and I got a B in it last year....but then at degree level it would be entirely different. Anyhoo. If you get an offer for History, maybe they'll change the grades you need....like AAB instead of AAA? good luck, whatever you decide!

Well you never know - good luck! :biggrin:

And thanks! Sadly I don't reckon that they'd change my offer even if I did change to straight History (as AAA is the standard offer for History, too), but it sure would be nice, haha!
Original post by jm25
Hi guys,

I recently firmed my offer for English and History at York, and as long as I get the grades I'll be starting there in October.

But here's the thing. When I sent off my UCAS form at the beginning of the academic year, I applied for straight English Literature, and that's what my offer was for. However, over the course of the year I found myself growing slightly less keen on English and much, much more keen on History. When I contacted York asking if I could switch to English and History, they were happy to let me change course.

Now, though, I'm really starting to think that a straight History course would be what I would enjoy the most. I've held off contacting York about this, though, because I thought it might not reflect well on me if I sent them a second request for a course change. But do you guys reckon that contacting them now would be my best bet, or would I be better off waiting until I actually get there, and seeing if I could change course then?

Also, is changing course from a joint honours degree to a single honours degree easier than changing from one single honours degree to another one?

Thanks in advance for your help, everyone!

I had a similar question so I emailed an admissions tutor at York, who said that in the first 2 weeks there is a chance for students to request to change their courses. It depends on the number of places left on the course you wish to transfer to, however; so I would recommend emailing before you go.
Reply 11
Original post by Mighty Moe
I had a similar question so I emailed an admissions tutor at York, who said that in the first 2 weeks there is a chance for students to request to change their courses. It depends on the number of places left on the course you wish to transfer to, however; so I would recommend emailing before you go.

Okay, thanks for the info! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest