The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Libris Dedita
That is rather something. Congratulations. :biggrin: and good luck on your quest!

Eep, I do A-level, and it is harder than Maths, FM, Physics and Latin put together :tongue: I must take up theory again at some point though; I do enjoy it.

Longest school concert ever last night; 3 hours 20 minutes. Consequently, have just been catching up with all the Maths around here. So much fun.

Thank you :smile:

Gosh, you haven't exactly taken easy A levels :O I love latin also, but so few schools offer it :frown: I'm guessing you'll be applying for Maths next year though?

Yes, I do enjoy music theory also :h:. There is something quite wonderful about how it all works and how logical and systematic it is. My main regret is that I started playing before I learned the theory, I think the inverse would have been better.

What instrument do you play? 200mins straight is crazy :eek4: my attention span is about 30mins on a good day :lol:
Original post by wcp100
If it's any consolation my mocks haven't gone brilliantly either.

89.49% in M1 That just takes the biscuit really. 0.01 percent more and is would be an a*

:eek4: you'll still get an A* :yes: it's averaged out over modules isn't it?

Original post by Maths_Lover
You are welcome. :smile:

It is! :argh:

Coincidentally, I heard about that book today! :lol: Woah! :eek2:

Great minds think alike :colonhash:
had my french speaking yesterday, fingers crossed it went ok :smile:
Original post by Llewellyn
Thank you :smile:

Gosh, you haven't exactly taken easy A levels :O I love latin also, but so few schools offer it :frown: I'm guessing you'll be applying for Maths next year though?

Yes, I do enjoy music theory also :h:. There is something quite wonderful about how it all works and how logical and systematic it is. My main regret is that I started playing before I learned the theory, I think the inverse would have been better.

What instrument do you play? 200mins straight is crazy :eek4: my attention span is about 30mins on a good day :lol:

I know; it is such a shame more schools don't offer it. Yep, I am applying for Maths :biggrin: on the logic that I can more easily keep my music up than the other way round. Yourself?

Yes, it works so beautifully! We have done quite a lot more on harmony than we need (due to a class of two classical musicians :tongue:), and it is so wonderful and mathematical and lovely. See, I'm quite glad I started playing first - I couldn't have coped with the theory at not-quite-six, and now my musical skills are good enough to appreciate how the theory works, if that makes sense. (I am enough of a geek now to occasionally note, while playing, 'ooh, a Neapoliton sixth' or 'oh, some nice cross-relations'. It's quite worrying. :tongue:)

I play the piano, the flute, and the organ, and I sing somewhat (but have not managed to get lessons yet. One day....) I see you are a clarinettist; anything else? And thankfully there was an interval, and for me it was mostly sitting in the audience - I wasn't performing much. I did do a concert once that long where I was singing for about three-quarters of it, and that was grim. Awesome, but grim. :biggrin:
Original post by pink pineapple
had my french speaking yesterday, fingers crossed it went ok :smile:

What was the topic? :smile:
I couldn't imagine doing French at A level. Do you enjoy it?
Original post by RainReader
What was the topic? :smile:
I couldn't imagine doing French at A level. Do you enjoy it?

The exam is 4 different topics (the exam goes on for about 35 minutes!:shock:) so I talked about fashion, mobile phones, alcohol and smoking and family relationships. Yeah, I guess I do enjoy it but it is alot of work.
Original post by Libris Dedita
I know; it is such a shame more schools don't offer it. Yep, I am applying for Maths :biggrin: on the logic that I can more easily keep my music up than the other way round. Yourself?

Yes, it works so beautifully! We have done quite a lot more on harmony than we need (due to a class of two classical musicians :tongue:), and it is so wonderful and mathematical and lovely. See, I'm quite glad I started playing first - I couldn't have coped with the theory at not-quite-six, and now my musical skills are good enough to appreciate how the theory works, if that makes sense. (I am enough of a geek now to occasionally note, while playing, 'ooh, a Neapoliton sixth' or 'oh, some nice cross-relations'. It's quite awesome. :tongue:)

I play the piano, the flute, and the organ, and I sing somewhat (but have not managed to get lessons yet. One day....) I see you are a clarinettist; anything else? And thankfully there was an interval, and for me it was mostly sitting in the audience - I wasn't performing much. I did do a concert once that long where I was singing for about three-quarters of it, and that was grim. Awesome, but grim. :biggrin:

Well I dabble in the saxophone, because the fingering and notes and the reed are all very similar to the clarinet. However, I prefer the clarinet so I only really play the sax in Jazz band or something very situational. I also play the piano, but I'm not very good.. It also feels like a very lonely instrument. It's useful for messing around/ composing though. I can't sing at all :lol: that made the ABRSM grades very difficult, I felt like I was starting at -8 because of oral :frown:

Although I like the theory, it is still very secondary (naturally) to me, because I think I learned to play first. But it is fun to look at music (from anything - films, jazz, symphonies, even game soundtracks) and look at how it is all constructed, and more importantly, why it was/ is like that.

I have no idea what I'm going to apply for .. Maybe physics? We'll see :h::
Original post by pink pineapple
The exam is 4 different topics (the exam goes on for about 35 minutes!:shock:) so I talked about fashion, mobile phones, alcohol and smoking and family relationships. Yeah, I guess I do enjoy it but it is alot of work.

Wow, half an hour is a long time to talk for!
How long is your english exam?
Original post by Llewellyn
Well I dabble in the saxophone, because the fingering and notes and the reed are all very similar to the clarinet. However, I prefer the clarinet so I only really play the sax in Jazz band or something very situational. I also play the piano, but I'm not very good.. It also feels like a very lonely instrument. It's useful for messing around/ composing though. I can't sing at all :lol: that made the ABRSM grades very difficult, I felt like I was starting at -8 because of oral :frown:

Although I like the theory, it is still very secondary (naturally) to me, because I think I learned to play first. But it is fun to look at music (from anything - films, jazz, symphonies, even game soundtracks) and look at how it is all constructed, and more importantly, why it was/ is like that.

I have no idea what I'm going to apply for .. Maybe physics? We'll see :h::

Ah yes, I've heard that they are quite similar. I know what you mean about the piano being a lonely instrument; for some reason I am developing a taste for accompanying, so...

Ugh. Aural tests. Ugh. I think, after a year of generally being the only tenor in chamber choir, I might now be able to cope with gr8 aural - I certainly couldn't last year!

Indeed. Tis an interesting thing - and it helps composition, as well.

Indeed. I wish you luck in deciding! (I am slightly wavering towards music at the moment, but probably only because I'm drowning in Maths :tongue:)
Reply 529
Does anyone have the History A ocr january 2012 paper? For the medieval and early modern paper (F961) and the F962 European and world history. And does anyone have the edexcel jan 2012 paper for People and Politics and Governing the UK? if anyone does could i please have it. Thanks :smile:
Original post by RainReader
Wow, half an hour is a long time to talk for!
How long is your english exam?

20 minutes before is for preparation so it's not the entire time for speaking. My English exam is 2 hours long
So tired :frown:
Original post by Heptapus
I feel less stressed than yesterday. wooo. :colone:

Thanks. :colonhash:
My physics mock; I saw the first question and thought "well, this is going to go well. :colonhash::colonhash:"

Good. :biggrin:

Haha, I've done that so many times in physics before. :tongue:

Original post by Conan
My physics teachers claim that the marks mean nothing before moderation. Which translates into "I'm not confident about my marking and I don't want complaints from any of you if your marks were moderated down" :grumble:

I definitely enjoyed the day, but when I looked around Trinity, I didn't have this "this is the place for me" feeling... I went to Peterhouse two years ago. So I've now been to a rather large college and the smallest. I'm really undecided.:s-smilie:

Have you decided on a college?

Oh, that's so annoying. :/

Oh, maybe you could look at a few more? :s-smilie:

Emma is the one I'm looking at now. It's in a good location for biological natural sciences. :smile: You want to do physical natural sciences don't you (sorry if that's wrong!)? Isn't Churchill in a great location for that? :smile:
Reply 533
Tuning a drum kit takes forever!
Original post by wcp100
Tuning a drum kit takes forever!

Aaah, I can imagine!
Original post by chickenonsteroids

Great minds think alike :colonhash:

They do indeed. :tongue:
Reply 536
Two speakings done, one to go :colone:
Then I got told off for sleeping on the desk in French later on :teehee:
I wish I'd been able to start music lessons at a younger age... I feel so behind you guys. :emo: :emo: :emo:

@Libris Dedita - I see you sing? :five: I love singing. ^^
Some of the threads and posts on this site...

:facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2:

Sometimes I really wonder about what causes people to say such awful things. :sad:

And now my good mood is ruined. :colonhash:
Original post by Maths_Lover
I wish I'd been able to start music lessons at a younger age... I feel so behind you guys. :emo: :emo: :emo:

@Libris Dedita - I see you sing? :five: I love singing. ^^

You can still teach yourself- I was self taught up to grade 7 piano :smile:

Latest